So, after receiving my replacement unit due to the screen not turning of as discussed in https://community.openmr.ai/t/issue-starting-pimax-5k-screen-does-not-turn-on-led-red-solid/11977/
I got a replacement Unit. And It works to some degree after I did yet-another-clean-install.
It seems like the old unit works too with the new unit’s Cable. Both Displays are seemingly in good, no-dead pixels way, and it seems the major issue was with the Cable that came with the old unit.
However, I did pay Paid 3.5% Import duty and 24% VAT for the replacement Unit, with the 8k KS prices (for 5K+ unit) so a bit peeved in addition to dealing with these issues. Since I did not get any Order Confirmation replacement slips regarding it after asking for it for a few days.
But now I have a NEW Issues of which, one makes my Pimax (and the replacement one I will eventually return) unusable:
There is a rgb storm on both panels, on both headsets that ranges from subtle to not-subtle depending on the environment, this doesn’t make it really unusable, it is an annoyance. Seems to be a common cable issue. I feel like they may not be shielding the cable sufficiently.
Swapping Parallel Mode or rebooting the headset causes it to become “unrecognizable”, requires me to restart my entire PC after: A major annoyance. Will probably make a script to restart the Pimax services instead.
Random Display shut downs combined with Critical Loss of Tracking:
While playing a game, the display suddenly turns off, and the games lose tracking. This takes about 30 seconds to a minute before this occurs. I could watch the Pimax Screen or SteamVR Home seemingly without issues (I need to test longer times).
Once Screen turns off, the headset loses all tracking of the lighthouses, but slowly starts to lose its position, until it becomes a mess as each movement of the headset to spiral into a mess. This could indicate power supply issues, but, I also got an alternative power supply I know can output stable current at the headset specifications, eliminating that as a variable.
I have tried all the usual “steps” everyone keeps suggesting, double checking settings, trying new ports, which ever.
It still occurs for all.
Both the Original Received (with the new headset’s cable) unit and the replacement unit does this. The old Cable was simply DOA
Support ticket is still on the old ticket, SUPEN-695. No response from Support on the new issues (mostly regarding the import process) that have happened and gone through for a few days.