Quick lens mod for the far sighted

If you’re long sighted and losing patience with your reading glasses always steaming up and if like me you also put lens protectors onto the lens , all diminishing the overall pimax experience you might like to try this mod ( also good for the vive ) .
I removed the lens ( just like sweviver did ) except not as easily as I had to prise them out ( no popping out for me ) and the double sided tape that was holding them came out too ( so be warned ) .
Then I found some 1.5 mm flexible wire (nylon string/chord would be good ) and wrapped double sided tape around the whole length without the backing paper so it makes a long sticky string spacer , then cut 23cm lengths and put the string into the rebate that was prevoiously used by the double sided lens holding tape and then replace the lens onto the sticky string .
Eh voila no more reading glasses required , it has made quite an improvement for me ,
It’s easy enough to romove the spacer string at any time and replace it with thin double sided tape , or thicker string if you need stronger magnification .
Of course at your own risk ( not much chance to screw it up unless you do it without your glasses on )

I’m using 1.5 x magnification for reading and was using .75x reading glasses when using the headset , why they cannot add a focus option or simple spacers with these headsets is beyond me .

9 Likes

That’s a very clever idea and you’re brave for trying it.
Once I got to the part where you mentioned that you were inserting a spacer it finally clicked.

1 Like

Really Simple Pimax was too concerned about dust; when it’s not really a big deal as @Sjef said simple can of air to clean.

Using a rubber maid bin plexiglass & sleaves can Make a simple clean room box. Add a vaccuum cleaner port is voila.

Too many users in the forum at the time were squeemish about dust.

3 Likes

You could likely generate a 3d model with a lens scan to fit in the lens hole with rim for lens to fit in.

That would do it …

1 Like

I did this exact mod on my Vive “back in the day” (to the point it involved the same +1.5 reading glasses, and the corresponding diopters being added by bending 1.5mm wire for use as a shim :7), and the results were excellent, to my sensibilities (not only did it improve the native focus, but issues I had been having with the scale of the virtual world were totally rectified).

but the change to the optical train brought with it a very slight extra bit of barrel distortion, which only ever bothered me when looking at a large flat surface up close; Do you notice any such?

3 Likes

The waiting for a pair of glasses to stop steaming up , always being careful not to scratch the lens etc was steering me back to the vive pro gear headset whenever i fancied a short vr session so either try fix it or sell it

2 Likes

I’m not noticing it but haven’t really looked , just relieved that it’s in focus as without messing about with +.75 reading glasses not to mention the blurr where the glasses lens finish or frames are

1 Like

No chance of getting dust into the sealed lcd housing with the pimax ,it’s easier to remove pimax lens than vive for that very reason . still advised keep the hole facing down though to stop the dust until the lens is replaced

1 Like

Thanks!

( About that protective glass pane between the lenses and the display; I have been half entertaining the idea of trying to remove it, to see whether it has any adverse optical effects at all, as well as whether physically masking off the hidden corners of the screens helps reduce any of the stray light in the HMD.
I will probably never get around to trying these simple experiments, but the curiousity is there. :7)

2 Likes

In my opinion @PimaxUSA should release a 3D File for Prescription lenses until they sort the Eyetracking thing out.

Glasses users waited long enough!

1 Like

well I’m replying in vr with the pimax without my reading glasses on , there is some edge distortion but I now need to set up ipd , face mask etc again as the lens are closer to my eyeballs

1 Like

The ironic part is that they were scared about dust while not knowing about cracks in the plastic on some units. LOL

Would be really cool if we put lenses in that have less magnification so that even if you lose a little bit of field of view, you can still use all the screen space and get less SDE

2 Likes

Just done it, will fire up and test :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well like the p4k the lens screen assembly is 1 peice inside the housing.

First tests gave me a better focus, more important is with IPD offset on 0 i can final see a difference when turning IPD knob.
Will try now but seems like 62.5 does feel good ( real 61 )

1 Like

Yes I had the software ipd at -1 before but now it’s not needed
Just a lot of fiddling with settings again for me

1 Like

Actually after few test i had to remove the “spacers”, picture was kinda blurry in Assetto, will run more tests fore sure with different thickness.
I could see 3d printed “spacer” doing a good job here, from lets say 0.25mm to 2mm if needed.
Very good finding!!!

2 Likes

I wedged an Oculus prescription glasses insert into my Pimax - it doesn’t cover the entire display, but neither do my actual glasses :slight_smile: Still has the steam up problem sometimes.

3 Likes

CAUTION don’t use wire or strimmer chord as the memory effect causes the lens to move slightly after time causing bad optics and always need pressing back down maybe use soft nylon twine or 3d print some spacers .
Spacers could be custom made to cover up the outer periphery too so the outer edge distortion is no longer visible

1 Like