Question for Pimax & Testers re:AMD Video Cards

When I get into my experiment project will post some pics of a case mod for an itx board. It’s an ild ican case.

Flex pci-X riser cable is going to come in handy.

@Pimax-Support

Can we get some feedback please, with Amd being listed as a partner on Kickstarter have you had time to test Amd gpus?

3 Likes

Here is a new Tom’s Article

Any news on this front?

Just wondering as I see that optimizations are being done for the “latest and greatest” of NVidia’s offerings (which are JUST THIS WEEK hitting people’s homes) yet I cannot even get reliable TESTING information on the Vega 64 which has been on the market for over a YEAR.

Sorry if I sound a little cranky (but I am).

What gives??

@Heliosurge @deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR @Pimax-Support

2 Likes

Unfortunately Still silence on the Red Front but @PimaxVR did thank me for the reminder. So maybe after this week holiday will get sime results.

1 Like

I could say that I share your optimism, but after seeing the new thread about 2080 optimizations I would be lying.

It is frustrating when they spend time tweaking PiTool to take advantage of a GPU that only hit the market THIS WEEK and continue to ignore one that has been in use for at least a year…

CPU and GPU components have followers that are as devoted a most football fans, so the stock “When Red is compared to Green…so it should be…” is presented (anecdotal vs. empirical evidence) it grows old and wearying very quickly.

Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

OMG an article full of technical BS. He doesn’t really know what xGMI stands for, he got Radeon Rays completely wrong interpreted for games, he has no clue about DXR. Simply ignore such articles of technology clowns I’d suggest.

1 Like

To the contrary, I think the article is good speculation, as the writer probably knows something you don’t about still in the works chips and architectures from AMD, something that is already available in sampling form to a selected number of partners and people worldwide who work with hw testing and debugging.

It is well known from years that AMD architectures are way ahead than Nvidia ones in floating point calculations, and that’s why it’s better suited for applications like pure ray tracing and 3D rendering; Nvidia is only doing and selling better because their architecture is specifically optimized for the present gaming, and the way games are processed through the pipeline that most game engines today are using. (Their famous past marketing hype: The way it’s meant to be played)

But AMD could do better RT, even in close-to-real time, than Nvidia, if they just wanted to, and create the sw and libs to do so, like Nvidia did…

1 Like

Not sure but if your refering to the TH article on amd gpu i posted. No BS there. Dxr is agnostic & not built specifically for Nvidia.

Amd does have their own Open Raytracing that will likely be in their next gaming cards.

I posted a video article on it. Apparently green gets samples from red. Meaning these 2 work a bit more togethee than most realize.

I have a 295X2 and am curious about its performance. It kills anything at 1440p so the 5k should be fine? Especially since its a single dual gpu card and if it can use both gpus… I hope

The 5k uses dual 1440p screens so your likely going to need a new gpu.

With dual screens be more 4k.

VR games tend not to support multiGPU, so your card is going to run like a 290, which is barely even ok to run a rift or vive

Worth trying first, but I would start to budget for a new GPU

1 Like

I’d be interested to know if you did the tests for AMD cards.
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

I do not know what to choose between keeping 8K or changing with 5K +

what do you recommend?

thanks for those who help me