Problems with SteamVR after reinstall

Here are. Some Uninstallers. Though tbh I think it might be something else with the number of attempts.

1 Like

Finally, it seems to be working.

I used IObit uninstaller* to get rid of Pitool and SteamVR, then reinstalled Pitool 270 and SteamVR with beta enabled.

Things are working properly again now. Not going to touch anything!

*not sure I can recommend IObit uninstaller as it installed a bunch of unwanted stuff without giving me the option. At least I was able to use the uninstaller to uninstall the unwanted apps installed by the uninstaller.

Glad to hear your up and running. I believe that was one of the flaws mentioned in Iobit.

I have this exact same problem, however his solution made things worse.

I used IObit uninstaller to uninstall PiTool 273 and SteamVR.

Reset PC, reinstalled PiTool 270 and Steam VR, now PiTool doesnā€™t even detect headset.

I had no issues for months until I had to do a reinstall of Windows 10, it was fine after the install, latest drivers of everything, latest windows 10 version etc etc, working fine for a few days, then this random blocking bs started and itā€™s turned to sh!t, tried all those steam.vrsettings things, tried all that nonsense. Now instead of a headset, I have a deadset.

Just installed PiTool 273 over the top of 270, now everything is working again as normal, steamVR is loading no issues, for now.

I am wondering what I should do with the config files now though, because I am guessing the issue arouse when I was tweaking PiTool/steamVR settings to optimize games.
Everything is now reset to 1 and 100% (render and multiplier), so now Iā€™m scared to tweak.

Good luck. Since mine started working again I have found I can change settings in Pimax Experience without causing problems.

In my experience posting ā€œIā€™ve tried everything and nothing worksā€ is a good way of making something magically start working again :slight_smile: Seems like it has worked for you too.

I saw this too, when I recently tried to go back to PiTool 270.

My issue is that after reinstalling PiTool 271, 272, or 274, everything works for a while (until I turn off the headset???). At some later point, SteamVR canā€™t find the headset anymore, even though PiTool does see it.

The only fix Iā€™ve found is to reenable the headset in SteamVR settings, exit SteamVR (not restart it), and reinstall any PiTool (271, 272, or 275). Then everything works for awhile, until it doesnā€™t. This didnā€™t happen in 270, but Iā€™m not sure if the problem is PiTool or the headset firmware. Basically, the problem showed up when 90Hz was added to the 8KX firmware, but thatā€™s not the specific problem, since (for a while) I was able to use 270 with the new (298 or 299) firmware and everything worked fine. Then I updated PiTool to get the 1/2 and 1/3 ā€œCompulsive Smoothā€ option, and was unable to go back to PiTool 270 (due to headset not found problem in PiTool ā€“ as opposed to the (separate) headset not found in SteamVR problem).

This is frustrating. Iā€™ve sent logs to Pimax (via @hammerhead_gal or @PimaxQuorra: canā€™t remember which), but not opened a support ticket. This is not a showstopper issue, since I can play in VR, but itā€™s an annoyance to spend 5 minutes resetting everything, before I can use my headset. At least I donā€™t have to reboot my system, which would really be annoying.

2 Likes

Yeah I had no idea wtf was going on, it is a weird problem for sure, but itā€™s hard to be frustrated at Pimax, although there is a lot to figure out for yourself if you choose the Pimax route, the customer service has always been awesome when Iā€™ve needed it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.