Power my 8KX from something other than a usb on my PC?

To reduce the power draw from my PC I was wondering if it was possible to plug the 8KX into a Powered USB hub and if so is there a recommendation on one that will work? I currently have too many USB devices plugged into my PC and so my PSU is bumping up against its limit. I’m thinking my 8KX is the biggest draw on power.

Нет! И лучше найти соответствующий блок питания!

Well, I can at least confirm that plugging in the power-only plug from my 8kX into a powered USB hub, solved a problem I had, with the HMD going into a loop, where it would disconnect and reconnect over and over.
Just some generic hub I happened to have lying around.

1 Like

Standard Cable with 2 Connectors?

USB 3.0 (Blue inlay) direct to motherboard, the USB 2 (Black inlay) to the wall Adapter.

1 Like

I’m not using a powered hub, instead, I plug it into an Anker USB Charger.

I’ve got that plugged into a wireless socket switch. It’s great. I also use a wireless switch for my base station. I can power it all on or off, with a remote. That’s quite convenient.

Be sure to get a USB charger with enough power for an 8XK. Here’s the one I bought, but I’m sure there are lots of similar products…

https://us.anker.com/collections/chargers/products/a2023

1 Like

I don’t have a powered USB hub so I developed a hack to give USB devices more juice that require it.
I have this USB splitter thing lying around that is like an unpowered hub. I plug one end into the PC and plug the device that needs more power into one of the sockets.

I then plug a male to male USB cable into another socket and plug the other end into one of the Vive charger adaptors for my controllers.

Works great.

1 Like

Is that for the fat USB cord or the skinny one?

Not sure. The cables look about the same to me. I think the one I’ve plugged into the supply is a little thinner. It’s the one on the right of the 3-way splitter, when the Pi symbol is right-side up.

1 Like

The power cable is USB 2.0 (black inside) and the data cable is USB 3.0 (blue inside) and it’s a bit thicker, yes.

EDIT: Already mentioned by @dstar:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.