Poll: Aspherical lenses and Anti-SDE tech on Ruggedized editions or future models to solve IPD issues, SDE and god rays

Increasing in diameter an aspherical lens means increasing (a lot) in thickness and consequently in weight (because glass in place of plastic)

Weight my nose has to carry… Pimax lenses are great, there’s no reason to change

Ask yourselves why this baby weighs 1.5 kg

3 Likes

You dont have to make Aspheric lenses out of glass. Gear VR Innovater Edition for Note 4 had Aspherical lenses.

1 Like

@VRGIMP27 is right the aspherical lenses of the p4k are plastic not glass. However yes it needs ti be thicker & heavier.

As PSVR or Pimax 4K, but all these lenses are small

As the lens size increases, lens thickness increases proportionally

immagine

Better focus, less chromatic abberation, and a larger sweet spot would be worth the extra weight, especially since the HMD weighs less than Vive from what I hear.

Hybrid aspherical lense would likely be as thick as p4k in fried egg part of the lens.

One thing is, you would get more usable lens surface, unlike the fried egg.

Still need the fried egg deal I beleive. StarVR had a similar lens design. Need a better look at Xtal

My understanding is that there would be downsides too, like pupil swim. Fresnel lenses are better (than conventional) in that regard.

Reducing godrays and chromatic aberration for starters. They could be 160 horizontal fov aspherics made out of plastic not glass, keeping the cost down and solving IPD issues.

Theres no contest it’s a commonly held opinion that GearVR and PSVR have the best lenses in the industry.

1 Like

Also, take into consideration that there is also pancake lens technology that could be used for VR and are very promising, no one still used such lens to date, only Oculus/FB is experimenting with it.

I do not know PSVR but by looking at GearVR lenses I assume they cover much smaller FOV than Pimax. I can imagine that that aspherical (or any non-fresnel) lenses will remove god rays, but for chromatic aberation, I would expect that simple (i.e. not some complex sandwich lens stack) lens (either spherical or aspherical) will have the chromatic aberration worse simply because it cannot be as thin as fresnel one. Chromatic aberration though can be resolved by applying color selective distortion profile, but god rays cannot be solved this way.

Anyway, for me it is not really obvious, that non-fresnel lens should be better for higher FOV, and what is worse, that they would even work.

1 Like