Please post your far, hard and soft IPD + face foam thickness

I’d like to figure if there is some sort of pattern how and if, soft and hard IPD may play together in relation to your far (optricians) IPD. Probably also the thickness of used face pad may prove as an useful information additionaly.
I’m a little lost and settings that were better one day, seem different on another day.

I have a far IPD of 66.7 (measured by optrician)
Figured that I have the least edge distortions and least black overlap in the middle when using very think face foam or none at all + setting the hardware IPD to the (almost, due to nose pinch) lowest value. Honestly I don’t get how people get less edge distortions when using way bigger foam. If I try that the distortions get 25% at least(tried with OD+ face foam). Thin face foam though results in a little less clear picture in the middle and is very uncomfortable around the nose + geometry issues (which can be reduced by thickening the lower part around the nose area.

I’m not satisfied with the results for now and I’m sure there is lots of room to improve.

So if you like provide your preliminary results like that:

66.7 far IPD (measured by optrician)
3mm face foam
Hardware IPD 61
Soft IPD +3

BTW. @risa2000 already posted some insights that may help to evalute gathered Information to get something out of it. I’m not that much into physics but I hope that it may help to create at least some starting points with the help from the community.

6 Likes

67 IPD (measured by optician)
18 mm foam
Hardware IPD 67
Offset +1 to 2
no eyestrain

2 Likes

people should also note about how the IPD was measured
self or professional, self measured might be off as it might be the near IPD or something in between near and far IPD

3 Likes

I will say this. I think the reason different people get different results with face foam thicknesses is Pitool versions. I say this because when I was on .95 I had distortions on the edges, so I bought one of those printed adapters that moves the lower part of facepad away from face a little more than the top and this almost eliminated the edge distortions.
However now that Im using the Beta .112, I had to remove the spacer because I now have distortions with it so now with the .112 Beta Pitool the distortions are not there anymore.
My IPD issues are different from some in that my measured IPD is about 63 so this puts me at about 58 with the Pimax HMD’s ( like with the Pimax 4K I had to set me IPD lower than measured I think). So I can only take the wheel to 59.9. So with the new IPD adjustment in the Beta .112 software, I adjust it to about -3 to get a fairly decent picture without too much eye strain. On a scale from 1 to 10 my eyestrain went from about an 8 down to a 2.

6 Likes

IPD: 68 ( mirror + ruler + one eyed pirate technique )
Foam: 11mm
Hardware IPD: 65 68.1
Software Offset: -1.5 -3

No eye strain before and after .121. All I ever use is Virtual Desktop for a lot of hours.
Myopia etc. could also be a factor.

Edit:
Changed to natural IPD after having double vision while testing SBS clips

2 Likes

Btw. tried the eye measure app on Ios, which is surprisingly accurate. (Same results as optrician in my case, pls check if that works for you guys as well, could be handy for those that have no professionaly measured number as a suggestion)
Use it frequently for friends that try VR at my place.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am super paranoid about such things, maybe one day a lady will swipe left on me because my IPD isn’t large enough for her.

3 Likes

Dude, the game is…always swipe right :wink:

1 Like

As long as you don’t have an IPD of zero.

3 Likes

Yeah too embarrassed to admit it. It’s a miserable life being a fashion photographer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It would be interesting to get more feedback on everyone’s prefered settings unless eyestrain has magically disappeared.

1 Like

Revisiting the topic, I tried watching a SBS video via Virtual Desktop today and one segment of the clip always caused double vision.

Weirdly enough no ± adjustment of HW or SW IPD made the images converge at all, not even an inch.

Now I’m back at my real HW IPD and the 3D effect is there, adjusting SW IPD ± 2 doesn’t matter.

Not a guide, just an observation.

Clips

Demo 3D[SBS] (HD : 1080P) - YouTube
LG DEMO DISC 3D vol 2 SBS 2011 ENG BluRay 1080p Side by Side - YouTube

65.5 (asymmetric 32.5/33) by optician
custom foam, very soft 11mm (deep set eyes)
hardware ipd: 64
software offset ipd: -0.5
no eyestrain.

2 Likes

Self-measured (ruler-in-mirror method) 65mm
22mm foam+ 1 layer of velcro
hardware IPD: 65mm
software IPD offset: 0
No eyestrain

Foam:
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.66384c4dHrZ81C&orderId=100464577419183&productId=32798361329

1 Like

Ipd 64mm
Foam 11mm I think.
Hardware ipd 64mm
Soft ipd +0.5 (and makes a big difference for me)

1 Like

Unknown IPD, but low. I dial it in at between 59 and 60 hard (after soft adjustment), and -1.0 soft. I am using a custom foam that is roughly equivalent to the Vive narrow gasket (slightly wider, but I angle my nose closer in). I am also experimenting with -1.5 soft. I wear glasses.

1 Like

The problem with using thicker foam is you will lose FOV, its like standing back 10" from an open door, the closer you get to the door the more you will see the other side of the door opening.
try to keep the lenses as close as possible to the eyes will result in more
FOV.

2 Likes

I had to use extra foam before soft ipd. The world didn’t look 3d and was just not right until I pulled it out slightly. By adding .5 soft ipd I get the same effect as more foam, but nicer and more reliable.
Soft ipd was a great addition.

3 Likes

Soft IPD was an absolutely fantastic addition i’m so glad it’s there.

Interestingly. For different engines I have to go in the opposite direction! In Skyrim going up to +2 really let me add 3 dimensional sharpness. It makes a massive difference to the feeling of presence. I believe getting the IPD right is key to that sensation. Though it gives me slight eye strain it’s worth it in that title for the immersion. In Pavlov I have to go down to -1 for a similar sense of presence. Though my eye is much more relaxed at that level. Going higher makes things sharper in Pavlov but it jolts me out of the world.

2 Likes