Please Fix Oculus Mode for Automobilista 2 and Project Cars 2 (AMS2, PC2) - Workaround But Performance Gone

So basically this workaround is still worse than using PP On?

The issue I think is SteamVR or the game devs. In some cases like for the valve index, they have canted displays but it just works out of the box somehow.

This PP On/off is a massive issue they need to get around.

1 Like

It’s pretty much the same as using PP On. This is with Pitool 268.

If you use the workaround with Pitool 263, you’ll gain approximately 20% fps.

But then with 263 i’d lose some of the newer updates that came out for the 8k x no? Like brightness control and such?

1 Like

Yes, you’ll lose these new features with 263.

1 Like

RTX2080ti 2.1ghz , 8700k 5.2ghz , Pimax 8k.

Win10 latest patch (20H2), latest Nvidia drivers.
Pitool SS - 2.0 , Steam SS - 100%

ETS2 - v263 vs v268 absolute same FPS, and GPU usage 98-99% both versions.
and i think 268 head moving a bit more smooth. So i keep 268 on.

How can you know these stats if you’re running in Oculus mode?

Yes, performance is the same with both versions of Pitool in Steam VR mode.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you so much for pointing out the issue. We have forwarded to the Pitool team, and they gonna try to fix it via the next update.

Sincerely.

2 Likes

Yeah it would be great if this issue was fixed !

I just tried the hack on Pcars2 : it works, but the view is offset on the left…

1 Like

Ams2 Documents graphics ini file sharpening with note pad.

Going to try -
“SharpeningStrength” sharpeningstrength=“2.200000”
"SharpeningClamp"sharpening clamp=“0.060000”
Offsetbias=“1.000000”

Helpful YT video tutorial
(Carlos Panades)
Automobilista 2 Graphics settings - Boosting VR Image Sharpness and Quality!

I tried his original ini settings and it immensely improved sharpness and most importantly i was able to lower Super Sampling considerably.

I just leave ini super sampling at “0” and adjust SS in steam VR.

Slightly off topic but i hope this helps someone as much as it helped myself.

2 Likes

PCar1 had an Oculus ID although I never found it offered any performance improvements in that game myself. Automo and PCars2 aren’t available at OH so do they even have Oculus ID#s or an Oculus Mode?

It’s the Steam App ID that you need to put in the text file. App ID for AMS 2 = 1066890. PC 2 = 234630 I think.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this work around. I was wondering why I couldn’t launch American Truck Simulator with oculus mode today. I had previously setup a shortcut in PE for it to launch through Pitool but today it wouldn’t work. I thought it may have been my switch to Pitool 269 so I dropped back to 268 not realizing that the issue was also present in 268. This shortcut method worked though.

Hello,

Maybe you could try this method.

1. Create a txt.file and type in
    (“C:\Program Files\Pimax\Plugin\OCSupport\OVR_Launcher_x64.exe” F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Project CARS 2\pCARS2.exe)
    Please change the game folder path according to your PC

2. Save the file and change it to BAT.file

You may try to open the game and run in oculus mode.

Sincerely.

3 Likes

Hello guys

Im affraid il stupid … Im Lost lol

I have 8KX and ams2 and pc2
(Before they have long Time i had 5K+)

I remember for ams2 and pc2 for play without // projection i was create txt files (not remember names) and inside 64378338 (exemple)

But what i do know for 8KX ^^ ?

Thanks a lot

your question is directly after the post that answers it – but at least on the latest pitool versions it’s pointless , sure you dont need pp mode if you use that explanation but for some reason the frame rate does not improve. to get the same boost you’d have to pick out a very old version of pitool that still benefitted from the trick as we’ve gotten no clear feedback from the pimax team about what happened or why the oculus mode doesnt pay off anymore.

1 Like

I don’t think you guys care. Parallel Projection hasn’t been working with Project Cars 2 for a few months now. Please tell your staffs to fix this shyt and make sure it work…it is very important that these games need to run at a stable frame rate to make it pleasant to the eyes. Don’t force people on parallel projection…please get your shyt together. And I only said this because it has worked before.

1 Like

Also trying to play project cars tried all the work arounds but none of it works
Image is flickering even with pp on its no good
And for some reason I always end up in the middle of the car no matter if I put the hmd on my head still don’t end up in the driver seat
But youknow after spent the last 3 hours to fix al these issues I give up cause it used to work properly but for some reason it doesn’t seem to stay that way

Hello:
If it doesn’t resolve the issue, we suggest you to log a ticket at our helpdesk.
Our technician is ready to provide assistance to you.

Sincerely.

Just stumbled upon this Oculusmethod yesterday on youtube and since it doesn´t work in the easy way since some Pimaxupdate, I tried a search here in the forum. So I came to this topic here.
I too would really appreciate it, if the Devs would make this work good again as it seemed to work in earlier versions. Maybe even a simple option to chose from in the Pimax Experience would be a dream.