Please delete I don't care anymore, not interested in the arguments

[Deleted]

20 characters

1 Like

As far as I understood it the vision is literally the 8kX so yes it was in the kickstarter

2 Likes

Sure, they never promised us an improved headset. But here’s the thing:if they stopped making any new products, the company would run out of money and close down, and then we’d get nothing. They didn’t get enough Kickstarter money to keep going forever. 9 out of 10 small businesses don’t even last one year, sometimes you have to make bad choices (piss off a portion of your loyal customers) to stay in business because of a mistake made. Their mistake this time was offering something for free they thought would be far cheaper to have manufactured, not realizing how bad a 110-degree eye tracker would seem on a 200 degree fov headset or how expensive it would be to have a new one custom made.

And I for one am really looking forward to the 8k+ and happy they made it, and intend to upgrade to it if the discount is good enough (which for some reason they’ve decided not to tell us).

5 Likes

If you think the 8K-X is fine to be worked on, how could dropping the 8k+ have saved them a ton of money? I mean, the 8K+ is basically an 8K-X without the extra circuitry to handle the 4k bandwidth, it’s not like it would have cost them a huge amount more to design and make.

3 Likes

I agree that the development cost for the 8K+ shouldn’t have been very high, since it appears to just be an underdeveloped 8K-X. The real question is what differentiates the two (other than the scaler), why it justifies a $300 difference in price, and whether they should even be releasing another model. Pimax is approaching NVidia levels of model saturation and should probably consider discontinuing models.

With regards to the price of the eye-tracking module:

• There were (according to Kickstarter) 5,786 headsets produced for backers.
  • If all backers chose to get eye-tracking for their headsets, the cost of offering this $100 discount becomes $578,600 (aka over half-a-million dollars)
  • Pimax is paying a third-party to make the modules, so the discount is making little (if any) by selling them at a discount and may even be taking a loss.

It is a bit disappointing that Pimax has not been able to keep all their Kickstarter promises but they were a bit too optimistic to begin with. They had repeatedly tried to stick to the spirit of the Kickstarter (priority to backers, special concessions to backers, etc), although their execution has left a bit to be desired at times.

My final point is that the choice to go with two custom eye-trackers does keep in line with their company policy “High quality at a low price”, as opposed to getting one cheaper eye-tracker (“low quality at no price”).

5 Likes

Isn’t the 8K+ basically the 8KX with some things missing?

1 Like

sorry to disagree, the 8K+ is essentialy a 8K with new panels the same the 8KX have, not much R&D cost here. Your argument is simply not valid. The 8K+ exist because Pimax thinks there is a market segment below the 8KX so the 8K+ means in fact more money for Pimax is they are right. ( which honestly nobody knows for sure)

The real argument is they should offer a opt-out rebate for people not wishing to update to the full eye tracking at 300$)

Give estimated cost value of the originally planned eye tracking in rebate let say 50$. surely even then Pimax didn’t think it would cost zero $ to add this feature. …

1 Like

While the 5K+ is fine, imo the 8K is in need of an update. The “rainbow” LCD panels make for a sub-optimal image. I do like my 8K, but the SDE is still too visible, for my tastes.

5 Likes

Actually the 8k+ is the 8k that we were expecting, but then it failed to meet expectations .(low quality pentile like screens. So they practically begged us to switch to 5k+ which somehow had better quality.)

the 8KX is the same product that they mentioned during the KS.

So in other words, the 8K+ is the corrected 8K
just like the 5K+ is the corrected 5K, (which @Heliosurge thinks never really existed)

3 Likes

Agreed. If I had received an 8K+, I probably wouldn’t be considering getting an 8KX at this time.

The discount is not costing them a penny. Their cost price for the eye tracking module is definitely well below $200, they are still making a profit selling the eyetracking for $200.

1 Like

The seeming proof is no og 5k can be found & never demoed even to m1 testers.

2 Likes

Even initially during the Kickstarter campaign a cost of minimally 50$ for eye-tracking was evident, if we follow the current argument all creators simply would have no obligation to fulfill the stretch goals as describe because of cost increase. Even more if the project take longer to execute. This would give no real value added to the Kickstarter campaigns and still more money for the creator. The better guide line would be to offer the new costly feature with rebate *** OR *** offer something of similar market value to the one initially plan.

@SweViver
@PimaxUSA

1 Like

Yep & Kickstarter Even warns Creators to be careful offering Stretch goals. So really pimax misstepped by making the Goal even if unfeasible.

As it is it’s over engineered with claim of needing to be for Wide FoV. A U shaped insert would not block periphery & you don’t need extra sensors in the peripheral.

3 Likes

How do you know that and why do you think it wouldn’t need to be wide fov? The Pimax headset is wide fov.

1 Like

The tracker needs to track eye position. It doesn’t need to be designed to wrap around the complete lenses. It’s not natural to strain eyes looking into far periphery.

The tracker only needs to be cover main viewport.

Tobi Eye Tracker for desktop for example doesn’t wrap around your complete monitor.

Even the Vive eye tracker should be able to track your eye stare position if your looking outside of Vive’s FoV. The eye is quite small range of movement.

It’s not a Zed Mini dual external cam. Lol

1 Like

I have tried the eyetracking from that company on the vive. Aglass dk2.
It was garbage at about $450AUD landed.
I you wanted to go to the asee it was like $2500 with a decent SDK.
The issue is that the camera is near your eyes. So it can’t see your Iris when you look away from it.

In comparison I bought the Vive Pro Eye. I couldn’t wait for the Pimax one.
And if you going to develop for a product. You want to go for a Mainstream product.
The pro eye has the camera behind the lens. It can see your whole eye, set IPD and makes sure it is seated on your face properly.
It’s Tobii brand too. So the best out there with a full SDK.

So I have my reservations on the 7invensun eyetracking unless they are going to release it with the full SDK.

Saying that I will still get the tracker for my 5k+ and the 8kx if it comes in at a good price for Kickstarter backers.

1 Like

Ah yeah I thought you were talking about the hand tracking. My bad and yes I think you’re right.

1 Like