Playing Asgard's Wrath In The Pimax 5K+

As I often do these days when a new game comes out, I tested Asgard’s Wrath in my Pimax 5K+ to see if it will work correctly and oh man I am so glad I did! This game seems as if it were made to be played in the wide FOV and high resolution that the Pimax headsets have to offer!

I have been playing Asgard’s Wrath for about a week pre-release in my Rift S but since it was still under embargo at the time I couldn’t share this news about it working in other headsets. Now that the game has been released I’m happy to say that it works great! No need for parallel projections or anything else to be turned on in PiTool and the frame rates were really good with my I7 7700K, 16GB ram and 1080ti. I was also pleasantly surprised that the Vive wands I was using seemed to map very well to the in game controllers with all the buttons being exactly where I would have wanted them.

Overall as I say in the video It really feels like Asgard’s Wrath is native to the Pimax headsets and the visuals it delivers in the 5K+ combined with the fact that the game just makes you feel like a completely powerful at times is a complete home run! This game is for sure one of my all time favorite VR experiences of 2019 and is so much better in a high resolution and wide FOV headset!

26 Likes

Thanks for this! I just read a review this morning and seems like a good title to pick up.

My ideal games are in the middle ground - incorporating both expansive worlds with a decent depth of gameplay, as opposed to arcade stuff on one end, and sims on the other. I think I’ll enjoy this one :+1:

2 Likes

So you didnt use revive and simply did run it over the pi tool import ?

2 Likes

Yes inquiring minds would like to know!

1 Like

Strange voodoDE tested it on the new pimax 8kplus and it runs like crap…
I hope pimax can do something about there performance with there upcoming headsets…
Otherwise what do we have about a new headset but cant almost run no games on it with good performance…
Whatever specs the new headsets may have …its like a new car without an engine.
Maybe eyetracking will help but i have my doubts…

1 Like

If it runs good on 5k+, it runs more or less the same on 8k+

9 Likes

In the video from voodoode he said it stutters and reprojects alot… so i think i believe him with all respect…

Simply start it from pitools, don´t use steamVR with ReVive, then it runs really well!

I played the first 2+ hours actually, using Normal-FOV and Smart Smoothing at Render Quality 1, 90Hz.
In game graphics@epic!!!, resolution slider in the middle position (2080ti).

Loading took a while for any scene (no SSD) but then it runs surprisingly!! good.
It seems i can test with Large-fov in my next session…
Very nice game so far :wink:

1 Like

Didn’t he also say he didn’t have any new PiTool version? Just a guess here, but I don’t think @SweViver uses .180 beta? :wink:

1 Like

My problem with starting it from Pitool is you dont have any chaparone.

5 Likes

Allright here we go:

HMD : Pimax Xr
Cpu: i9 9900k @ stock (4.75 ghz on all cores )
Gpu : watercooled rtx 2080 ti @ 2ghz and vram @ 8000mhz sustained and stable
SSS : 1 Tb m.2 samsung evo

Pi Tool V1.0.1.180
HMD: Pimax Xr Oled
Pi Tool settings large fov and pi too @ 1.0

Ingame settings 75% res scaler and epic settings.

I got 64 fps average , totally playable running the game through the pi tool and NOT revive !

3 Likes

Yes… I am so looking forward to playing a game like this that doesn’t end after an hour or two!

3 Likes

Yep… saw it in the games list and just hit play! []-)

Yep… straight from Pitool and it ran great! []-)

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure… I am supposed to be getting a review unit eventually so I will for sure make a comparison for this and many other games when Pimax sends it out! []-)

3 Likes

Yeah I’m looking forward to testing it out… I can’t wait to see the difference in the new headsets and accessories! []-)

2 Likes

I will ask him about it next time we chat… I know his rig is way better than mine so I’m hoping that the 8K+ will still run well once I receive one. Currently I’m still running with an I7 7700K, 16 GB ram and a GTX 1080ti. For the 5K+ this runs everything just fine so it will be interesting to see the difference trying to run the same titles in the 8K+

2 Likes

This is almost my experience exactly! Only difference is that I am only running it on high due to using a 1080ti.

1 Like

Good point… I wonder if there is a newer pitool that works better with the new 8K models?

1 Like

Yep… You will see me smash my VIVE wands into the wall twice in this video due to that… WE really need a chaperone for games launched directly from Pitool! []-/

2 Likes