Planning on large EDU installation

Greetings. I’m an educator who is working on building a new VR Lab for 24 students to simultaneously use VR headsets for engineering, architecture, design, and other disciplines. Funding is underway for the stations and we’re holding out on ordering the headsets, hoping that new tech 2.0 is right around the corner. However, we’ll need to place the order for 28 headsets (to match the computers) within the next 6 months.
We currently have installed four Vive Pro and two Vive headsets. They’re served as a way to test the suitability for VR use in an academic environment and have allowed us to cut our teeth on VR.
The Vive Pro and base station 2.0 work well for us in a multi-user arrangement. So, that’s our current model, but I’d love to purchase the Pimax 8K for our use in the labs instead of the Vive unit.

I’m trying to figure out whether the Pimax light stations will allow for many light stations to be installed to be read by many headsets within a large space, similar to how the Vive Pro and base station 2.0 works. We’ll be in a room about 35’ x 40’ with each student sitting at a 6’ long table. The devices will be restricted to sitting/standing mode. There will be a larger room-scale area for movement on separate dedicated machine/headset.

And, does Pimax have their own hub, similar to STEAM, or does it simply use the Steam/SteamVR app? If it has its own app, is there any kind of enterprise level of the app to allow for multiple seat management of software and updates?

Thanks!

@anon74848233 @Matthew.Xu @deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR @PimaxUSA @Sean.Huang

4 Likes

In theory the LHes v2.0 once released should be on par with HTC’s as Valve is the manufacturer & 3rdparties like HTC & Pimax rebrand them.

Pimax headsets use SteamVR but can also use Oculus titles & from what user said programs from viveport.

Added pokes to your post & bumped your user level.

1 Like

Thank you Heliosurge. Is the Pimax 8K going to have any kind of revision made to the headband? I’m hoping for something that’s on par with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, or the Vive Pro. Right now it looks like a first generation headstrap design.
I’m taking into consideration the amount of times during a day that different sized heads will be inserted into the device. Ease of adjustability is important.

1 Like

There is a deluxe strap offered that is still being designed. Backers are receiving this for free & some pre orders.

While I can’t say as not a pimax rep. But with a volume order they might offer a volume deal of some kind.

If you check the 5k 8k directory there is mods for the Vive Das & I made a mod using a welding helmet/face shield head band; titled poor man’s.

Or if you have Vive deluxe audio straps available you can attach it to the Pimax headset with a 3D printable adapter.

1 Like

You’ll have months to worry about this even if you placed the order now :joy:

Maybe the head strap add on by @Davobkk can serve your needs just fine? Can be ordered here

cheers

1 Like

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers