Pitool v1.01.0.1.277 has caused SteamVR faiure

I’ve been OK with .277 thus far. Unfortunately I can’t rollback to any version that lacks the 1/3 smoothing option or I would definitely do so, as this version still has that option and it still makes “Smart” Smoothing unusably bad. Version that lack the 1/3 option will not work with my HMD however, so that’s a non-starter for me.
Quick tip for being able to test things like this with a lower risk: Add a second drive of the exact same brand and model (and thus size) as your boot drive (I also keep my boot drive basically for Windows and User docs only; everything else is on additional storage; but this isn’t absolutely necessary.) Now use a utility such as Clonezilla or Aomei and use those to do a full sector clone of your boot drive before testing any new software you feel might be problematic. Keep routine backups as well of course, but nothing puts you in as good a place for a quick, full, recovery as an internal bootable full sector clone.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for your support, went back to V275 and everything works perfectly like before.
Never change a running system, although updates are luring…

2 Likes

I tried upgrading first with SteamVR errors. Then I tried a clean install with the removal of Pimax software fully from my system including AppData and Users but still got SteamVR errors both Beta and Release versions.

Subsequently I rolled back to the previous PiTool version.

I don’t think I cleared out ProgramData Pimax folder though so that might have been an issue. I will maybe try that and try installing it again. Failing that - back to previous release.

Edit:
Ok, now another install but with a wipe of everything Pimax on my system followed by Pimax Experience installed from within PiTool has me a working update. Will report back if anything crops up but so far - so good.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this with the last 2-3 PiTool releases and I was never able to resolve it. I’ll try your approach, when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to use my workaround. Reinstall PiTool (any version) prior to using VR (only necessary if I’ve turned the headset off).

Thwre is a topic with a post to prevent steam safe mode from bloxking addons like pimax

2 Likes

Here is the post.

1 Like

I got this problem! SteamVR addons blocked and when i allow them. Changes do not saves! I got this error every time! Expiriense home work but when i start SteamVR or any VR game on Steam they just not work. SteamVR blocks addons again and i return to pimax home!
And worst part! I tryed to return to previous version of pitool (v1.0.1.266 to be exact) pitool does not see the helmet… Error connect the HDMI. But with new vertion (v1.0.1.277) it see helmet no problem…

I had the same problem, I had to restart my pc and then unblock pimax from steam vr, for some reason after the pitool update it was blocked from steam vr, but after I restarted and unblocked it, seems to work fine. I have an 8kX

1 Like

Yes, the new firmware for PiTool .275 and .277 isn’t downward compatible, unfortunately.

I got this SteamVR addon blocking just once right after installing .277 the first time (and was able to simply unlock it), but never had it with .275 before.

=> So perhaps try rolling back to .275 instead of too old .266. It uses the same firmware version, so it should detect the HMD and work, and perhaps SteamVR’s Pimax plugin is more compatible with .275 than .277.

=> .275 :slight_smile:

install debug firmware 296 will clean the FW 299 that is no good. I had to as fw 299 make my 1080ti not connect and fw 298 didn’t clear SteamVR safe mode block plugins.

1 Like

I got a 8kX :partying_face::partying_face: and the 277 make SteamVR crashes also, 275 is fine :+1:

3 Likes

A month has passed.
Should I (we) update?

I am on Pitool 1.01.275, should i update to pitool 1.01.277?
Firmware: 2.1.255.299
SteamVR: 1.21.12

Generally working.
I have problems launching games from Pitool. Often/ mostly need to launch games from desktop link. Mostly, hide area mask does not work.

1 Like

Hi,
Had no problems with PiTool 1.0.1.277.
However I just updated to PiTool 1.0.1.279 and now my SteamVR 1.22.13 crashes immediately when using the Pimax 8kx.

What are you talking about? here is no “PiTool 1.0.1.279” either on the Pimax website or indicated in Pitool. Current is PiTool 1.0.1.277

1 Like

yesterday stream updated

but it is all working again, after a restart.

Hi @klem ,
I am talking about this:

When I started Pitool yesterday, I got a red dot in the “Check Version” box of Pitool V1.0.1.277. Clicking on this box I was offered to update Pitool. The result is on the screenshot.

BTW, it took a bit of fumbling with SteamVR to get it working again, but now all is well.

4 Likes

Well look at that!
I don’t mind a bit of fumbling with steam (like I have everyday).
See, I was trying to be smart and not be the first to update and have any issues.
“If it ant broke, don’t fix it”.
But now I have missed an entire update and I should now be asking if i should update to 279.

Well I think I should just click the update button:today.

@Super27 Weird! I am still not seeing it in Pitool nor on the Pimax website. Do you drive a Delorean? :slight_smile:

I experience the same thing. some time i suddenly miss tracking mid game… and then i unplug and re-plug on the HMD side and then it are back after a few secs…

oh i guess it’s not exactly the same as i do not get the 20300 error… but the HMD just freezes and tracking stops.

Replugging on HMD side should be 1 time event. If you need to do it often, then better ask for help from support.

Sometimes I loose tracking, or is inconsistent, but that is because of inactivity, then I hide HMD under my table 20sec, and after that I show it while moving to my station that “locks” worse. The other station then locks every time.