Pitool Upgrade for 4k (can we finally adress its 1.4b bandwidth limitations with RTX features?)

@anon74848233 @PimaxUSA @SweViver I’m wondering if you guys have thought to work on a turing centered software update for the Pimax 4k, to make use of fixed foveated rendering, and Turing’s unique color compression technologies to finally get a native 4K 60hz out of the old Pimax 4k’s HDMI 1.4b.

At the very least, this would give you guys an insane budget HMD that trades blows with competition at an obviously lower price. Just saw thanks to @Century that Aukey is selling the 4K for $69.

If you implemented Turing’s features to enable 4K 60hz on the Pimax 4K, the competition would be screwed. It should be possible to do, and wouldn’t cost you guys anything.

5 Likes

I too would be keen to see this improvement. over a year ago, we were promised improvements in ghosting on the 4k.

any improvement on the 4k would be a god send for any of your original pimax customers.

Thanks for the consideration.

Eno

1 Like

Yeah, the big reason I ask is because these new Turing GPUs should work with the 4K’s own color compression capabilities, and FFR should enable more bandwidth. A native 4k image split between 2 eyes is 1920x2160, so the 4K would be just a little less clear than the HP reverb, with the clear benefit of being able to buy one right now for dirt cheap.

Its not even a matter of past promises, (it is somewhat,) but more just a decent business decision.

1 Like

Here is a post from a long while back from @PimaxSWD about how to get native 4K working on the Pimax 4k, posted by Pimax themselves.

The Turing Architecture deep dive says this:

“Turing GPUs include an all-new display engine designed for the new wave of displays, supporting higher resolutions, faster refresh rates, and HDR. Turing supports DisplayPort 1.4a allowing 8K resolution at 60 Hz and includes VESA’s Display Stream Compression (DSC) 1.2 technology, providing higher compression that is visually lossless. Table 2 shows the DisplayPort support in the Turing GPUs.”

As we all know, Pimax 4K goggle support physical 4K by Interpolation menthod.

Actually, it also support native 4k resolution by using data compression technology(Qualcomm FBC 2.0 or VESA DSC 1.1), and it works well on android platform. there is the sketch map as follows.

And question arrives, Why not open the native 4k resolution?

The cause is because the graphics card(NVIDIA or AMD)couldn’t support the Qualcomm FBC 2.0 or VESA DSC 1.1 tech. so we have not opened the native 4k resolution until now.

If u are expert on GPU or data compression, please participate in the discussion and try our best to find an valid method to resolve it. thanks.

THE SOLUTION IS HERE FOR ANYONE WITH RTX! @SweViver please alert the software engineers.

Does anyone here realize that the 4k is already the perfect HMD to utterly demolish the HP reverb if it can be utilized fully?

the 4k has 1920x2160 per eye, it has a 110 degree FOV at a PPI of 806, its cost is insanely low, and it used decent non fresnel lenses!

I realize that Pimax is busy with controllers, base stations, 8K-X, etc. but you guys have a secret weapon right under your nose.

1 Like

Excuse me but I understood nothing. What can a simple owner like me do to implement what you are saying?

I wish there were something that the owners could do. Pimax has to enable this kind of thing in a software update.

Basically the 4K can’t display a real 4K signal, so it up scales from 1440p or 1080p. Pimax put a chip in the headset when they created it that allows you to display in Native 4K signal using compression. Now that the graphics cards support this kind of compression, pimax needs to enable it.

Hope that’s a little bit clearer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifyng but I wouldn’t expect anything from Pimax.