PiTool killing WiFi every 6 or 7 seconds

I couldn’t figure out why all players in iRacing were disapearing every 6 or 7 seconds for 3 seconds then appearing again only to repeat 6 seconds later. I got a ping trace which looks like

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2977ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=53
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2977ms TTL=53

I started killing apps 1 by 1 and when I killed PiTool the problem went away. Starting PiTool and it is back. I tried this several times including rebooting. PiTool is the problem. This makes it impossible to play any network game with PiTool running.

I could find some posts that indicated similar problems, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the real problem with some reports of stuttering (time the gap between stutters to see).

What’s going on with PiTool? How/why would it interfere with Wifi? I used to have wired internet and my old house and I didn’t see this problem but don’t have that option now I moved.

PiTool 132_212 - I am downloading the latest BETA to try as well.

I am still also having lots of problems getting tracking to work but that’s another common story.

3 Likes

Same problem with 1.0.180 Beta - what’s going on? Now I can’t use my Pimax for any games I play as they all need to be online. As if the time wasted trying to get it to track every time I use it wasn’t enough now I can’t use it at all :frowning:

Note that before today I was on PiTool 1.0.;109 and updated when I unpacked the HMD from being stored while I was travelling. I didn’t try 109 on WiFi but now wishing I hadn’t updated. I assume I can’t go back to 109 because it updated the HMD firmware? Maybe I’ll try.

Same problem with 109. So I guess using wired ethernet avoids the problem if you can.

I haven’t experienced this myself. I have invited a couple of pimax members to your topic.

Now I don’t have LHes & Wands and that could be a difference. But my pc is on wireless.

1 Like

could you set up a rule in windows firewall to block pitool from accing that address and port?

by the way that looks like googles DNS

1 Like

I would of thought that as most users would of moved to the later version of Pitool we should be seeing more people reporting this issue? have you asked anyone else that has the same device model that may be using Ethernet to try using WIFI and see if they experience the issue as well… it would be good to identify if it is Pitool related or specific to your PC?

to try this, you need to share ALL of your Pitool settings… right down to the specifics… brainwarp, resolution, and also include your PC spec as well.

I assume that we are talking 5GHz wifi and not 2.4? also post what Pimax version you have… 5k, 8K, OLED version etc?

Have you created a support ticket as well? that Pimax can assign their time and effort looking into this problem?

Eno

1 Like

Hi @pghendry, I’ve forwarded your post to the technical department, and I’ll let you know when they have a result. Thank you

2 Likes

Hi @pghendry, Can you tell me in detail about your operation steps and the environment? Our developers need to replicate this bug. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!! I don’t know much about it. You may refer 192.168.1.2 guide to get more information about this. It might resolve your issue.

1 Like

Just too state - I have been pulling my hair out with huge lagspikes every 10 seconds lasting 3 seconds and finally discovered that pitool is the culprit. I am running .180 beta & the issue is also present in the new .197 pitool. I am using a Maximus X Code motherboard’s in-built wifi (drivers updated). This issue can be replicated with any wifi network, and goes away as soon as I close pitool. This is a screenshot of packetlosstest.com while pitool is running:

Can you check if there is any network activity originated in PiTool in the time periods when the comm is blocked? (Like running a sniffer on the wifi interface?)

I have the same problem with version 1.0.1.258.

1 Like

if the issue goes away while pitool is shut down, then a workaround is to not have pitool running while gaming. it is after all just a front end to manage the services. if it’s the services that causes it then it’s a bit worse though.

edit: sorry, didn’t realize we were necroing a thread.

2 Likes

Might be an idea to compare Wifi cards. My Asus b450 doesn’t seem to experience this with it’s m2/pciX built in card

Necro or not necro, the problem is clearly still ongoing, so it’s definitely worth talking about.

For the record, my USB dongle is a TP-LINK Archer T2U Plus, a very high-performing one.

1 Like

Okay so yours is Usb that is having this problem and maybe related to sharing the same usb as the headset port or something maybe with the usb host chipset.

I have zero Wifi issues but mine is on pciX m2 card.

Is your usb wifi connected to usb3 and your pimax to usb2?

Sounds like something is trying to take control of the entire internal usb hub on your pc. There are a few things you could try:

1. You could connect a USB hub and move your wifi dongle to that. If this does not improve the issue you could test with all of your USB devices except for the headset through the hub.
  2. I have seen a few USB printers cause a similar issue. You could disconnect all of your usb devices one at a time and try it with just your keyboard, mouse, wifi and headset.
  3. You could try to disable the Windows 10 USB Selective Suspend feature. Here is a link to how this is done:
    How to disable Windows 10's 'USB selective suspend' setting | Windows Central
2 Likes

I do have a USB hub, two in fact - tomorrow I’ll try connecting the antenna there.

2 Likes

I have the same problems with the Wifi that is on the motherboard (not sure whether this is internally also usb - don’t think so?).

The problem is quite old. Some people in the threads below also have it with PCI cards. I also had a ticket open for that more than a year ago that was closed without getting resolved.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-problem-with-internet/11178/16
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-is-breaking-my-wifi-adapter/29580/17

@PimaxQuorra wrote in July that engineers would have a look. That’s the last status.

1 Like