PiTool is Breaking My WiFi Adapter

Have the most current version. I was having a similar issue before where PiTool.exe would cause packet loss but this is extremely frustrating. The moment I start PiTool I lose internet, and actually have to run several commands to fix my Wifi adapter not connecting to the internet.

1 Like

Its external pcie wifi adapter or build in mobo ?Maybe devices conflict - IRQ to change ?

1 Like

I also had this problem when using wifi: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-problem-with-internet/11178/11 Was an internal PCI card in my case.
Fortunately you don’t have to run PiTool in order to use your Pimax HMD. Just start it once, set up the settings you want and then exit it (via the tray icon, otherwise it still stays in the background).

1 Like

While I appreciate the responses, unfortunately I do not have a PCI internet setup, just a USB setup. It is extremely clear that the culprit here is the piserver process. Almost every time I restart my pc I have to reset my network adapters. I’m just wondering why the fix is a workaround, and not something like a software update? Do they not make regular updates to fix bugs like this? The cruelest irony? A PiTool related service disconnected my internet in the middle of typing this reply.

Your Wireless is USB? If so try changing usb ports

My gaming pc is on wireless no inet drops but is built in wireless

2 Likes

Try your Pimax HMD on an usb3.0 port and your wireless dongle on an usb2.0 port.

2 Likes

Besides the usual hints like trying different usb-ports for wifi and hmd I fear only Pimax can help you.
You would have to write a ticket and hope that they assign a technician who does some debugging with you. (I did that at some point and then gave up, wasn’t very insisting though as not starting PiTool was an easy workaround for me).
Your case seems to be different than mine, the piserver doesn’t make any trouble here, only the PiTool software itself.

In order to see whether the problem still exists on my side I just did the following test:

• Started a download. All good
  • Started the 5k+, so the drivers get loaded. Still all good.
  • Started PiTool (1.0.1.260) In comparison to previous PiTool versions the data rate doesn’t drop to a crawl anymore for me (like in the linked pictures in the other thread), but instead I see regular drops now every few seconds. Edit: Interesting tidbit: It also does that if I don’t even switch the 5k+ on.
  • As soon as I exit PiTool, the drops are gone again.

So it’s less bad but still existing.
PiTool_wifi3

@SweViver @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

Added @SweViver and @PimaxQuorra and hope they get a tech guy at Pimax to look at (and solve) this problem.

3 Likes

Well it seems switching the USB ports fixed me getting kicked off the network, but I still have to go through the process of manually exiting PiTool every time I start up VR. It wouldn’t bother me much but there are so many little issues, and enough time has passed that it should be directly addressed. Why do I have to exit PiTool to avoid issues with my internet?

If sweviver comes down from VR heaven I will cry.

Test your internet now your using a different usb port. As ,Pimax Experience" vr interface will likely require pitool to be active.

With changing ports you might not have the issue you were experiencing. I don’t exit pitool and am on wifi with no visible issues

Hello,

We had forward the issue to the engineer, looking forward to get a prompt answer from them on this case.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

3 Likes

I had this issue in December (sounds similar anyhow). The only way I could overcome it was run ethernet through the entire house from my router to my PC… which I then tidied under floorboards over time.

See here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-killing-wifi-every-6-or-7-seconds/21623/11

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra, PiTool 1.0.1.262 appears to require an internet connection. After some time, a prompt occurs which can not be bypassed & it renders PiTool unusable unless an connection is established.

Can this be reversed?

3 Likes

Hello,

We had reported this issue to the engineer, they are figure out something to resolve this problem, and try to fix the bugs that occurred in this version.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

3 Likes

It’s really not a WiFi issue. PiTool when open causes packet loss. It still happens sometimes randomly if a PiTool service is still running in the background. It could be my motherboard or something to do with power, but I’m really not sure. I would just like a solid response and permanent solution to the same issue that others have had with Packet Loss and other connectivity issues. So to break it down, PiTool.exe is the main culprit of the packet loss, and network jitter. However seeming randomly I will receive massive lag if I have exited all VR applications, but left some PiTool services running. Is there some sort of dump file I can provide for the tech boys?

-Thanks to PimaxQuorra and all involved for the responses.

2 Likes

It definitely needs a more solid look as I don’t seem to be experiencing inet issues on Wireless on my gaming pc.

1 Like

Yes, and it would seem some even have PCI wifi and still have the issue.

2 Likes

Mine is mini pciX onboard Asus Aura B450 itx.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.