Pitool Beta v1.0.1.271 Discussion

Sorry, this is completely off-topic. Feel free to skip it. :grin:

Yeah, it sounds about as insane as what I’m currently doing. I’m playing the newly re-released Quake (enhanced) on my 4K flat screen, with all the quality settings at max, but at 8K DSR mode, downsampled back to 4K (at a solid 60 fps with vsync on). Quake has never looked so good. I actually bought my first “accelerated” video card (a Rendition Vérité 1000) to play Quake, since my computer struggled to reach 320x240 res at a “playable” 20-40 fps.

It’s been a kick, replaying the game that got me hooked on 3D graphics.

I did try playing Quake in VR. It’s completely playable, but the scale is massively off (way too big). It’s not VR; it’s the game itself. On a flat screen it’s harder to notice, until you pay close attention to the doorways, which are about 16 feet (5m) tall. Anyway, the VR experience isn’t any good for me (for this game), but I’m really enjoying replaying it (yet again).

1 Like

i recently had to reinstall my windows unfortunetly so i dont have pitool version 270 do you still have this on youre google drive? Grtz

1 Like

Will have a pitool 270 for download in his pimax repo

2 Likes

Thank you verry much :wink:

2 Likes

If I wanted to do a complete uninstall of all (v271) Pimax files, and then clean install, could someone point out exactly which directories to make sure I manually uninstall after I run the uninstall process through Win10 the normal way?

I finally got my Index controllers and Half Life Alyx, and that game won’t even start completely in Wide FOV for me; I get stuck at the grey concrete loading screen. Boy does it run well in Normal FOV, even with PP however. 200% Steam SS, 90fps, and around 75% GPU usage. I haven’t tried any of the “play Alyx without PP” tips yet, and may not bother. It looks like it performs plenty well with PP on. I would, however, like to get Wide FOV working in this title.

Seems like a good place to start is completely uninstalling 271 and going with a clean install. Who knows, maybe it’ll take care of my Skyrim VR issue as well.

2 Likes

PP is not needed for HL:Alyx.

Start it with these steamvr launch options: (discovered by members of this forum)
-console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_shadow_map_culling 0 +vr_multiview_instancing 0 +volume_fog_enable_stereo 0

7 Likes

Yes, I had seen that but not bothered with it since performance was already so good. But, you know what, this FIXED the issues I was having with Alyx being stuck at the initial grey loading screen if I tried to use Wide FOV.

Don’t know if that issue was specific to 271, and just me, or not. Still looking for any tips as to exactly which directories to manually delete after doing an automatic uninstall of 271? so I can go completely back to a fresh PiTool installation?

3 Likes

I got an 8KX again and have a 3090FE on latest Nvidia Drivers. Should I install 271 or 270 then?

I’d like to try 90Hz mode as well.

Good question. I installed 271 to get 90Hz (with the included firmware), but had to go back to 270 because my 8KX kept being disconnected. However, 270 allows me to still use 90Hz, which is apparently controlled by the firmware itself. Older firmware won’t automatically flash over newer firmware. (You can still overwrite it if you need to, but you have to manually upload it.)

4 Likes

I have a question about Fallout 4 VR that I posted in the Game On thread, but realized it’s probably more specific to later version of PiTool. Here is the original question if anyone wants to answer it: https://community.openmr.ai/t/fallout-4-vr-still-working-or-not/36899 It’s in regards to a note on the Pimax Games Compatibility Spreadsheet that states that as of PiTool v129 (so a very old notation) that even with PP on shadows do not appear correct in one eye. I’m trying to find out if that’s accurate or not as I’m so sensitive to issues like those that even if it’s minor I probably won’t be enjoy the title. Otherwise I plan to invest in it and mod it (probably with the wabbajack mod list).

Other quick notes: Performance on the 3080Ti (mine is factory overclocked and typically runs just over 2GHz. It’s also roughly the size of a barge) is excellent. I do think that when the NEXT generation of cards comes out we will probably see enough power to drive wide FOV with PP on in the majority of (current) titles and SS settings high enough to also produce clarity. I haven’t used any PiTool version other than 271 since I got the 3080Ti, so I can’t compare performance with other versions).

I also added a note to the Compatibility Guide about Assetto Corsa: Turning on FFR dramatically reduces performance in that title for me. I’ve only noticed that with 271, I don’t recall it being an issue with 254(?). Regardless, you would have to have a really old GPU not to be able to run that title well, as it performs incredibly well and does not require PP, so FFR really isn’t needed anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.