PimaxClient and it's admin rights

allright so I installed the new PIMAX CLIENT and I notice that the software gets started by the TASK SCHEDULER of windows, asking for confirmation that it can be run as admin.
First of all: this software should not need admin rights in the first place, since it should not interfere with the kernel at all.
Someone please explain to me why higher rights are needed.

Second: one could argue to just deactivate the UAC. Let me tell you that this is a bad idea, since you just open a door for malware taking controll of EVERYTHING. Don’t, just don’t - (trust me I am in IT for 15 years now).

So, the confirmation pop-up during user-logon is a pain. I suggest making it a SERVICE or tweaking the task-scheduler > Run it independend of the user-login with admin rights if you really need to.

here to help
S

7 Likes

I also wanna know this.

Just stumbled over this…
just look at the very old Steam client discussions, like Steam now needs administrator privleges???
same happens there. All of them install hidden or obfuscated servers to phone home, even the drivers do, both from Nvidia and AMD. I do not know how to remove it, neither to easily identify it, because of used obfuscation. You only can block certain network traffic.

EDIT: just see this: STEAM EULA
9. Collection, storage and use of User’s personal data
Game Administration reserves the right to collect, accumulate and process the user’s personal data (including but not limited with information on applied hardware and software, screenshots made in the process of game, etc.) with the aim to analyze the actions of User during the game, without the right to transfer this information to the third parties, excluding the cases, required by legislation. Collection of User’s personal data may be made by means of Game components (Game client, game servers, official website of the Game).

Which requires admin rights, because You consented…
@PimaxQuorra
I would like to ask for Terms and Conditions-Site like Steam has, to see the T&C upfront any installs.
I just started the PimaxClientInstallation, expected to see a T&C / Disclaimer Checkbox upfront. Unfortunately it just wanted to install… I declined and stopped the installation.
Please can you provide the LICENSE AGREEMENTS (EULA) on Pimax web site?
Thank You so much for listening.

2 Likes

@PimaxQuorra

Can we have feedback on this.
Pimax is the only gaming software where I need admin rights. Any information would be of great ease

I’ll check with the software engineers; they may have information on this.

1 Like

Maybe we could work something on the T&C upfront any installs.

1 Like

I would highly recommend to have T&C upfront any installs, together with a more localized version of T&C which would allow more local legal compliance. It may help to better withstand upcoming trade barriers. For consented data collection you may consider a local EU and US data hub as well, depending on the business growth. In my opinion, PIMAX still is unique, and worth it. I would even invest in PIMAX with a certain small amount of money.

2 Likes

far from reality. NOBODY reads those long upfront terms.
I always encourance asking yourself why administrative right are needed, since a lot of informations can be read out in user-context as well. It’S like giving all cleaning-personal on a ship, the ability to take controll of the course of the ship. It’s just not necessary. I would understand if PIMAX needs low-level access to the hardware layer - on the other hand it could use a service for that and not the backend software it self.

1 Like

OK, call me now NOBODY, I always scan the T&Cs. For example, Export Control Clauses are very interesting, as well those related to collecting data and consenting transmission. but hey, I am just a NOBODY…
Regarding admin rights, please ask Steam as well, and others like AMD, NVidia, Microsoft, You name it, who ran servers all the time for call back to mothership… ping…

1 Like

all right, I am sorry for overdramatizing this T&C topic but let’s get back to the main topic here again.
Collectiong and pinging back to the mothership was not my point here.
I was asking why the tool needs admin rights. Most of the important data can be retrieved in user-context anyway. This is what bugs me. Granting an App the highest rights always raises the questioun why. I do not see an explanation here so far. Maybe it makes sense, maybe not.

I also rarely see an app which has to be run as Admin after the installation. It’s just not good programming. The installation could use a windows-service if it needs deeper connectivity to the system.

1 Like

I fully agree, such tools and drivers should not run with admin rights at all. If update required, a popup may ask for temporary admin rights and provide a reasonable reason to explain it, if any.
Look at Steam and their AntiCheat, for example… You disagree and cannot go online with others or You agree to add special analytics on your computer.

image+
image+

I get so many alerts from AVG everytime I install th pimax software. I really think this is why pimax has so much issues with their software. Not one gaming software I have does this. Not even ubisoft

I don’t want to create a new topic, but what the heck wrong with your software? Why does it constantly write to disk?

If i set the folder to read-only I get this funny error:
Here it causes a problem with antivirus (I don’t have any):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/16ixjd4/pimax_play_causing_windows_defender_cpu_spikes/
Can you fix it ASAP?

Also after selecting pimax experience in the PimaxClient and installing it, experience suggests me to udpdate it in VR. Then it downloads the update and I click restart. But after that it it was the same version. It takes 10 minites to figure out that your updater actually get this message and do nothing:

I created a zip archive, put it inside and it magically works.

1 Like

Beyond that question You know all the anti virus scanner do awkward black listing AND awkward white listing.
But of course, it is suspicious. Like Steam…

I agree. Have any of you noticed that when i install I dont give it admin rights and can easily open the PIMAX software with non admin rights, however every PC reboot it whats to login as admin rights. I always click no.