Pimax XR Brightness improvements possible via Pitools update?

I have to agree with the fact that the Oled of the Pimax XR are dim. Is it possible for Pimax developers to make an update for the XR Brightness? I am not sure if that would require more power for the display?

@Alex.liu

5 Likes

I agree. This would be a very welcome update indeed, please do keep in touch with us regarding this, especially if theres any new model of the 5K XR down the pipeline.

2 Likes

I tell you a funny thing about my 5k Xr oled Pimax :

Sometimes my rtx 2080 ti is getting a black screen due to overheating or chip failure ( perhaps vram issue or something … )
But when this happens in vr , the display of my pimax xr turns EXTREMLY BRIGHT , I am getting a black circle in the middle of my pimax xr and a very bright halo ring around it .
This means the pimax xr can turn as bright as a galaxy s10 phone in theory , ( way over 500 nits ) but they dont do that in games due to safety reasons I think

1 Like

Right. The regular 5k+ gets a “lot” of love form the developers. now they can run a high refresh rates. As for the XR, the only update i have seen is the option to set the levels of blacks.

I have a feeling that if the Pimax team spend time to test the brightness, they may be able to bump it up somehwhat with safety. The question is, will they? :wink:

1 Like

I have an 5kxr and it feels like it’s just been totally forgot about and it was the more expensive of the 2…not good enough

2 Likes

Most people value more Screen Door over colors and black from what I have noticed

2 Likes

I have 5k + & ordered XR due to colours & blacks as they are aweful, I got impression that everybody whined since 1gen HDM about SDE but people were ok with colours, now we have good SDE but blacks & colours are aweful now other people start to whine about it, so seems it’s a bit inertial process & I hope later manufactures will consider OLED as better option, we can see what results Samsung achieved with their old Samsung O+, I almost cant see SDE there, if it would be less blurry with resolution on par with 5k+ I would totally fall in love with that HDM, but eh nobody cares, if pimax would have at least one good XR headset with bright screen, without blacks that eat contrast, I guess their sells would be much better for XR series

4 Likes

I really hope there will be OLED line refresh. First negative thing I noticed going from CV1 to 5K+ was lack of black color and overall poor colors (yellow, green, red).

Nowadays, I enjoy XR unit, got used to SDE not noticing it much, but really enjoying the colors. After experiencing OLED, LCD, OLED again I am actually afraid to upgrade to non OLED HMD, even if it is higher res, less SDE…

Anyone knows if O+ panels are higher res than 5K XR?

2 Likes

I have made threads asking Pimax if they can make some sort of update to increase the nits brightness of the displays. It fell into deaf ears. I think they want to kill that unit and just focus on the LCD’s instead.

previously they had backlight brightness setting for their LCD 5k+, and some people reported that with high BB & with lowered colour brightness the results were really pleasant, by some reason they removed this option even for LCD, I guess it’s not too hard to add this setting, at least for headsets that support it, I tried to upload old firmware but my 204SN 5k+ didn’t work with 1.5 years old pitool (144 + .dfu from dfuDriver folder), the usb devices was unknown, I guess my headset wasn’t existing yet when that software was written.

My XR is about 1.5 weeks from being delivered, I just hope it won’t too dull & dimm as everybody says ._.

Anyone knows if O+ panels are higher res than 5K XR?

I don’t know, but according to this article https://community.openmr.ai/t/sde-and-ppi-pimax-vs-valve-index-vs-others/20032

XR has 267PPI & O+ 404PPI, also O+ has anti SDE filter that blurs the image, but it greatly hides SDE, for me personally SDE isn’t a problem on current gen HDMs at all, e.g. O Quest looks for me gorgeous, O+ is good in terms of SDE but that blurriness + bad tracking & WMR & HDM itself isn’t comfortable for me, although sound is decent.

I even was almost ok with CV1 SDE, but low sweetspot & lack of details in distance were bad, the only really bad SDE I experienced was in OG vive, it was just too far from usability IMO.

I almost liked my 5k+, by some reason I feel more 3D depth on pimax headsets, probably due to canted displays & lot of IPD settings available, I also have comparable 3D depth on index, but not sure which is better I guess on 5k+ it’s better as I can setups it more suitable for me, but the blacks! I even almost get used to vibrancy of colours, in some games they do look really decent with contrast +3, brightness -1 - -3, but the poor contrast on par with grey background backlight, that’s so hurting : - (

I would get StarVR One, but it’s not for consumers, it’s 2 years old headset (they manufactured all those HMDs at 2018 & they got problems with company) it’s ok in terms of hardware, but it’s not supported at all & suitable only for developers. I hope they will work on it & in couple of years we will get decent human FOV Oled screen, magnification, panels utilisation, displays / lenses & SDE filters alongside with RGB pixels matter (although me personally prefer pentile arrangement as it looks more natural & helps with aliasing a lot)

1 Like

Dont get the StarVR One. You need to have the right IPD and the application to run Steam VR is not good. Its ok for development. I have one btw

1 Like

It’s interesting how people’s preferences vary. The not-blacks don’t bother me at all, even in dark games like Elite D. I use Contrast +1 and Brightness -1. I do have an 8K, which is supposed to be a little bit better than a 5K+, but it’s still using LCD panels.

Back when there was a Backlight Brightness option, I set that to Low. I really miss that feature!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.