Pimax works for 5 seconds graphic card squeals headset goes black

Now I have seen the video, this could be a tracking problem, remove any reflective surface’s and make sure there are no magnets, like speakers anywhere near, try and move HMD and lighthouses away from PC.
Remove anything that uses IR, as MY TV remote will not work with lighthouses turned on :slight_smile: .

1 Like

If it happens without the LH tracking, it could be that the IMU is busted. Probably a candidate for an RMA.

3 Likes

Just as a matter of interest, what are your Base stations set to, B,C or A,B ?
Maybe try it with the sync cable.

1 Like

@Possyguset I fixed the lighthouses to the walls at a good height today and use them B,C but tried them A,B still having the same problem.It seems to stay the longest on 72hz before the headset goes black (full 8 seconds or so) and the onscreen monitor display starts spinning.I use the 1080ti with oculus rift and I’ve had no problems with it.I am thinking of purchasing rtx 2080 card and hoping this will solve the problem but if it doesn’t I’ve ran out of ideas here.only other thing is to buy a sync cable and try that.
One question to you should this headset not be able to run without lighthouses?

1 Like

If referring to pimax without Lighthouse? Yes it should as this is how I run it & also use a 1080ti.

1 Like

Well I am out of ideas, apart from try and re-flash FW, but if that dont do it, send it back.

1 Like

Might be an issue with the power supply not being able to deliver the needed current.

If it stays on longer in 72Hz (lower power consumption) than 90Hz that would make sense to me.

You wouldn’t happen to have a universal power supply, would You?

I believe it’s 12V/2A.

2 Likes

I think if I am in the right Thread. He may have tried an adapter taking 12v source from computer PSU. But could be mistaken.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. Didn’t scroll up… D’OH! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@DrWilken yeah buddy I managed to find a replacement supply of exactly the same outputs as the original power supply and it suffers exactly the same problem although I bought an ECP01 12volt output power card … this seems to be so far the only thing I have not tried out yet.

2 Likes

Sorry for your issues, will get someone to assist you . Thanks.

4 Likes

Hi guys I have finally got there in the end and now I have a fully operational pimax 8k.
I’ve spent most of the holidays trying to sort this but now I’ve got it running I’m not caring but yeah the gpu is getting warm but that’s ok I can work around that problem.
I tried everything so as a last resort tonight I fully stripped down the PC of most hardware and began the reinstall of windows then changed a few graphics settings and installed pitool and bingo the thing is now running on 80hz no problem without any shaking and buttery smooth … maybe a clash with other drivers or a bad connection with the graphics card but now I’m happy and I want to thank you guys for the support much appreciated.
I still have a few days left so now I can get some 8k gaming done before the holidays are over.
Thanks again :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Awesome congrats! Be interesting to know what caused it.

3 Likes

@Heliosurge

I turned the PC on this morning and tweaked a few of my usual settings in the main bios as I do after a fresh install of windows after I done this I went to try the pimax and was getting the same problem with it but I think I’ve found the problem I usually go into chipset and turn internal graphics on to make use of the spare hdmi on the motherboard for an extra monitor but it’s looking like it doesn’t like the idea of this as long as there is a pimax headset connected to the PC so I disabled the internal graphics and now it seems to work again

@Alex.liu

3 Likes

Awesome thanks for sharing this info!

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is useful info, but my PC ‘screams’ when my headset can’t find the HMD (Steam VR still open but Pimax switched off). I thought it was the graphics card, but leaning in closely, it’s actually the PCI USB card I have the Pimax plugged in to that audibly screams until I close Steam VR.

Since Steam VR is known to basically nuke the system’s entire USB (eg, direct drive wheels like Simucube losing their connection if you start them before Steam VR is a known issue), it makes me wonder if this screaming/chipset settings issue is actually USB/Steam VR related, and a peculiarity of this mobo is just causing the graphics card to fall victim to it.

2 Likes