Pimax users: add games to this compatibility list

Good catch unless he’s skinned W7 or W10 to look like XP. XP if mem serves only went as high as dx9 or dx10?

2 Likes

i’m not sure is a skin, he has outlook express too,

officially dx9, unofficially it looks up to dx11, with xp 64bit probably most things works, but it’s so uncommon nowaday that i think this is the only person on the planet that is using VR over a windows xp.

1 Like

To the untrained eye, it looks like Win XP but it’s not.

XP had a more rounded look to it’s windows.

Also, take a look @ the min/max/close selections & notice the tapered rectangled look.

2 Likes

outlook express, not grouped windows… only question is, was xp asking to search for solution ? i don’t remember if that feature was existing at all on xp.

by the way, back on topic, do you even have oculus installed ?? because once you launch it the first thing to happen is that oculus should open.

1 Like

Ha I knew you were going to ask that. No it’s a skin I made for Windows 8.1 and got used to it. I’ve tried this on Windows 10 latest build too.

How the hell do you put up with grouped windows? I turn that off as soon as I install an OS.

2 Likes

I have Oculus installed yes because, I am trying not to sound rude so don’t take it that way, that OVR_Launcher_x64 that is the error boxes is that very software!

I will try reinstalling it.
I had to reinstall Windows 10 on another partition because it got corrupted, I hate 10, so I could try it on that again.

I have Windows 8.1. I have a Windows 10 installation too but that is one annoying piece of OS.

1 Like

It’s amazing how quickly people recommend you format and reinstall an OS. They don’t realise that you can have multiple projects on the go with multiple softwares that would need to be all reinstalled and all the paths to project folders, plugins, etc, etc recreated. Countless hours of backing up and reinstating and so on. I will only do it when I really, really have to and when I am finished all the work I am doing.

1 Like

Skipped W8 as really didn’t like. W10 don’t mind it, but have Linux computers to keep MS annoyances at minimum. Only use Windows for games.

2 Likes

I didn’t like W8 at first until I heavily modified it to make it usable, partly why I made the XP skin for it, so made the switch from XP. When 10 came out there was really no reason to change to it and the constant updates kept breaking things. Then there’s all the spying. It’s like one giant malware.
I boot into 10 for running games that don’t work on 8.1 but I can’t really make the change yet as I have too many things on the go on my 8 installation.

1 Like

i totally undersand you, i have installed windows 7 in 2009 and i have used it, and then upgraded it to win 10, without formatting, up to august 2019, so 10 years with no format, just upgrade from 7 to 10, and i’ve changed 2 pc in the meantime with totally different mobo/cpu combination.
unfortunately last august i had to format as win 10 didn’t want to start anymore for some unknown reasons.
after an entrie day trying to get it working again i’ve gived up and reinstalled.
So yes, i hate format and upgrade, but you are using beta software and stuff that is tested mainly on windows 10, using an older OS just adds another layer of unknown behaviours that will only cause additional problems.

back on topic, games works and the 2 tricks i have explained works great here, those ovr crashes are probably caused by your OS, i may be wrong, but there are high chances that all the troubles you’re having are caused by win 8

if you have a working win10 installation it may be worth giving it a try

you can disable all the spyware you’re talking about mainly using third party software (or doing some firewall rules by yourself but is a pain), if you install a datacenter or a LTSC edition you’ll have more control on the updates too and you can even disable them completely.

lastly, upgrade from win7 and above doesn’t require to backup or format, it’s quite straight and basically all softwares keeps working fine unless you’re using some very outdated versions or you’re using some abandonware.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. It didn’t work on 10 last time but that was the LTSC trial edition which ran out so I had to reinstall with Pro so I’ll try again.

I am pretty sure 8.1 is still supported on games like Serious Sam but you are right soon they will not be.

Just a day ago after installing 10 Pro I couldn’t login to my account on 10 and then I couldn’t boot into it so had to reinstall it again. Never had any such problems with Windows 8.1. It always just works. Never let me down in the 6 years I’ve had this installation installed.

I haven’t found a way to choose what updates I want like I can in Windows 8.1. If you accept ANY update it just downloads and installs ALL of them. Annoying when you want a security one but not driver updates.

OK I understand what the bat file does now. After hours of getting Oculus set up on Windows 10 I can confirm that the bat way of doing it works!

For some reason on Talos the original way still does not work. It just keeps opening up in SteamVR with the cross-eye like it did on 8.1. Using the bat file it works fine.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Oculus software doesn’t support anything but Windows 10 now. This war on backwards compatibility is really worrying for the future.

Thanks for the help tigermaster!

1 Like

Sorry to bring this up again. I tried the bat file method on ‘Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope’ because that was the only way to get it to work. The trouble is the guns in the game are totally out of alignment with the controller, because obviously it expects Oculus controllers. I would need to point the controllers up at the ceiling to get it to aim out in front of me. Any way around that?

1 Like