Pimax users: add games to this compatibility list

Thanks, I have done that. After all that I’ve read on this forum, I’m quite surprised that this 5k+ works without problems :slight_smile:

2 Likes

sweet glad to hear it ,unfortunately im still waiting ,i guess i,ll find something else to do

2 Likes

Up to 146 games now!

Keep em coming!

2 Likes

just played last hope ,he he i keep jumping so much to see but some times just not enough ,sneaky monsters

plays lovely

1 Like

170 games and counting.

2 Likes

This needs to be password protected and just a few people update it, any new suggestions added here. It seems some idiot deleted most of the entries in the last edit. At least previous versions can be reloaded.

3 Likes

Would be nice to see more contributions to this spreadsheet from existing owners. I’ve seen comments on gaming compatibility but nothing shared in this list. I think the notion of a list is very important for Pimax users currently.

Hopefully many others see it the same way. I’m considering getting a Pimax, but the ecosystem seems fragile. It is in the existing communities interest to promote its compatibility if you want it to thrive.

Also, is this image of pimax verified compatible game still valid? Because I notice some games are missing from the list. And the tab for this in the spreadsheet is empty now.

Hi everyone, i’m adding some fixes/improvements to the table this weekend, i’m focused mainly to use steam_appid.txt trick in order to launch games in Oculus mode where possible, i’ve not added the trick where there are not improvements (eg. raw data unplayable).

I’ve found a way to re-enable oculus mode on Croteam games, that doesn’t need pp so better performance (the talos principle and hopefully all serious sam games, untested yet).

Also to mention, the vanishing of ethan carter now playable with gorgeous graphic, and the town of light too works with this trick but needs pp.

also filled/added many other games information that was missing and added an haf dozen of new entries
If something doesn’t works as description post here i try to help you sorting this out.

Just for Information i play with pitool at 0.75 most of the times with small FOV and i try to max out graphic options where possible, for me 0.75 is a good compromise, the window with pp off and hidden area mask is 1900*1900, so not too far from the real hmd resolution if you consider the small fov (and vertical res is already higher so there is a bit of SS even at 0.75, at least vertically)
Steam VR is 100%, i rarely touch it.
i switch to 1 in pitool when performances are good enough at 0.75

i have an rtx2080

Hope you find it useful! :wink:

6 Likes

I look forward to your list & how to. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

2 Likes

Can you explain the steps to force games to run in oculus mode?

1. Download oculus software and signup
  2. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ?..
1 Like

well…
i don’t know if oculus has to be installed, probably yes, unless you get only the required dlls and put them where the exe is located, i have Oculus software installed btw, never tried without it, i have some games purchased on that platform too so it’s installed regularly.

In order to run in oculus mode is quite straight, in most cases you have to create a file called steam_appid.txt on the game exe folder and put the relative steam id inside.

then you just add the game using the import tool inside pitool, it will start in oculus mode, some games requires additional steps, or totally different steps, but you can find informations on the sheet if i’m not wrong i’ve covered all the cases, if you need help please be more specific.

Obviously Oculus mode has to be available in the game itself, very few games have this functionality, and it doesn’t works for every game even if it’s supported, maybe because of Pimax controllers implementations and/or some other reasons unknown to me.

here’s a list of potential games that can/should run in oculus mode

Also, is quite useless to launch games in oculus mode if they works properly on steamvr, and for properly i mean that they do not requires PP and works fine with the setting you prefer (fov ffr etc…)
Most oculus games does NOT requires pp, so it have sense to try launch them in oculus mode if they do work without pp when they need pp on steamvr, and that is what i’ve tried to achieve, i’ve skipped games that works fine in steamvr.

Lastly, i try to use oculus mode directly in Pitool because Revive adds a LOT of latency with Pimax, never had a problem with VIVE, but with Pimax is barely usable, so i’ve uninstalled it and i’m not going to use it anymore at least in this state.

best

In the table I followed the instructions on how to switch the Serious Sam games to Oculus mode. The trouble I am having is that when I use Pitool to import the game exe and try to run it it either doesn’t do anything at all or the game crashes with a windows that says, “Serious Sam Fusion 2017 has stopped working.” Even when it is non fusion versions.

How do I fix this?

do you have the Talos Principle too ?
because i’ve used that game mainly and the trick has worked fine.
can you try with talos principle ?

i’ve tried also SS3 if i remember well, never crashed, it gives an error only once, the first time you launch it when you give that command line argument.
It must be launched once from Steam, it will throw an error because it’s excpecting an Oculus but it doesn’t find that. That launch is required in order to enable the vr api option ingame.

once you did that you can use the imported exe from pitool, it will work in oculus mode

i haven’t tried ss1 and ss2 with this trick but it’s the same engine so i’ve supposed it should work there too.

1 Like

I assumed Talos Principle wouldn’t work for that very same reason.
The results are a lot different than the Serious Sam games but it still doesn’t work. Wonder what I am doing wrong.

With Talos Principle I get multiple boxes coming up saying "OVR_LANCHER_X64.EXE has stopped working. Which is obviously the Oculus software I have installed.
Then the game launches fine…In Steam VR with the cross-eyed problem in effect. Closing Steam VR allows me to close the multiple OVR error boxes.

Must be doing something wrong.

i’ve used actually on talos principle so it works for sure, let me try again as it’s a while that i do not play it, maybe some updates broken something, give me some time i’ll try again talos and others too and i’ll be back.
in the meantime, which version of pitool are you using ?
is the rest all updated ? (steam vr, games and oculus)
games must be on steam, i’m not using fusion versions, but i’ll try those aswell (there’s a duke nukem conversion that i’d love to play).
speak soon

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.
I was using the second last Pitool but am I have recently updated to the latest but I haven’t got around to trying it yet.
Everything else is updated.
Talos isn’t on fusion but I tried SS1 in both Fusion and non Fusion.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

the trick works only on Talos, it seems they have removed the vr api option panel on newer releases, so you have to use another way.

create a bat file where you want with this code inside

"C:\Program Files\Pimax\Plugin\OCSupport\OVR_Launcher_x64.exe" "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Serious Sam 3 VR BFE\Bin\x64\Sam3_VR.exe +vr_strAPI Oculus"

Obviously change the path and the exe for the serious sam you want to launch
it should works with all the others (and talos too)

keep pimax rendering at 1 or 0.75
disable ffr (i do not use it, dunno if it has incompatibility, i don’t use smart smoothing too (but it should work)
if you want more quality you can adjust it ingame.

let me know if it works, it worked for me with ss3vr (no fusion)

don’t forget to write the steam_appid.txt file on exe folder with the correct id for the game you want to launch, for ss3vr is 567670

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me

You’ll need to translate that for me, I don’t really know what you mean. Also where do I put the bat file and what do I call it?

Unfortunatly I still can’t get Talos to work.

These are the steps I am trying in Talos, just to see if I am missing anything.

In steam I select Launch options and add ‘+vr_strAPI Oculus’ and then run the game.
An error comes up saying ‘Unable to start VR device!’ (Because I don’t have Oculus) Then an error box ‘Talos has stopped working’
I hit close
I go into Pitool and in ‘My Games’ I select ‘Import’ I navigate to ‘D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Talos Principle VR\Bin\x64’ and select ‘Talos_VR.exe’
I get box ‘Import Success:1’
I click ‘start’ in Pitool
The game goes to run but then I get multiple error boxes popping up stating ‘OVR Launcher x64.exe has stopped working’
Then the game runs in SteamVR instead, cross-eyed.

1 - what are you doing on WINDOWS XP ??? i can’t believe it’s even working on XP, minimum system requirements for VR as of 2020 is windows 10, even windows 7 is outdated. format everything and install windows 10!

2 - after you have upgraded you OS, create a whatever.bat whatever you want it’s not relevant where you put it as the paths are absolute inside the bat.
about the correct paths, the first path should be ok, you have to change the second path for the game.

3 - create a steam_appid.txt file in the same folder where the game exe is, inside the txt put the game id, you can get it from steamdb.info

4 - double click the bat file

5 - play

the other trick works only on Talos afaik, and for sure it doesn’t work for you because you have WINDOWS XP!!

2 Likes