Pimax US Roadshow: 1st šŸ›‘ Orlando!

Is Bradley using the Crystal wirelessly in that pic? I donā€™t see a wire :thinking:

3 Likes

Itā€™s wired in that photo.

3 Likes

He mentioned on youtube, under a community post on his channel, that he thinks the Crystal is visually superior to the Aero (which I personally agree with, Iā€™d say itā€™s objectively better). Heā€™ll be posting his thoughts soon in a video.

11 Likes

That is really good news!

Also, thanks @SmallBaguette for not just announcing attendance and then disappear but instead taking the time and effort to share weighed impressions on this forum! That is an amazing job and Iā€™m very appreciative of it.

5 Likes

Yeah he said it was superior multiple times during his testing. I didnā€™t want to point this out until he said it again so Iā€™m glad he has said it now. But yeah there was nobody who preferred the Aero over the Crystal on visual quality.

Bradley actually evaluated kind of a laundry list of stuff. He started with looking for distortion, chromatic abberation, top brightness, glare, ghosting, refresh rate, detail/resolution, sweet spot. Neat how he sequentially went through all of that. He like it a lot and the one thing he didnā€™t like was that he thought dust or other materials could get behind the replaceable lens.

Side note: he really liked the FOV layout of the Crystal. He really does not like ā€œletter boxā€ FOV like in the VP2. The crystal layout he commented on liking a lot where it has a lot of vertical fov.

6 Likes

I think @SweViver explained quite well in an MRTV interview why that shouldnā€™t be expected to be an issue (focal length not directed at the protective barrier but the display behind that).

Does this hold water?

1 Like

That is correct, there is a plastic barrier on these that is between the panel and the lens. Bradley felt he would have to clean it every time the lens is swapped. But he didnā€™t hit that too hard, it was more along the lines of questioning the usefulness of interchangeable lenses.

3 Likes

Could i ask, Ying (COO) told that the DMAS that is used on the crystal are the 8kx DMAS and not the final ones that will be on the pimax crystal because they should be betterā€¦ Is this true?

3 Likes

None of ours here in the usa have the dmas installed at all but in the EU that maybe, donā€™t know if that is or what version they are. I do know you can put the dmas on there though.

3 Likes

2 of the units have the blue vision series DMAS installed, other 2 are the new sound module that comes standard with the Crystal.

2 Likes

So does the retail pimax crystal have a different DMAS ?

2 Likes

Well, yes ā€“ same as your not seeing the dirt specks on an uncleaned window, when you look out through it, at something far away ā€“ they are out of the current focal plane of your eye lenses.

Iā€™d still want that window as clean as possible, though ā€“ the dirt specks do not ā€œgo awayā€ ā€“ they just become ā€œdilutedā€ over a larger area; Something, something, bokeh. :7

The intermediary pane is not new for Pimax headsets - the 8k/5k series has it, and the lens shuttles slide on top of it, on felt gaskets; You could say itā€™s a bit of their design signumā€¦ :7

2 Likes

A special thanks to @PimaxUSA & @hammerhead_gal . The last couple of days between work and being under the weather. Havenā€™t had the time & Focus to keep up. Thank you for keeping up with adding Roadshow info to the Announcement post!

:pi_thumbsup:

Once your at the 2nd stop I think we should close this topic or maybe wait til more Orlando reviews are out?

5 Likes

Flying to PA right now, headsets and PCā€™s in theory ready to continue the show.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the hard and great work

3 Likes

When I first floated the idea for the lenses being exchangeable everybody was worried about dust getting in. Something I think people should consider is if you leave any VR headset in a box long enough, even if it is well stored and completely ā€œsealedā€ with no access to the Optics, bugs can and do get in, so the criticism Bradley made is kind of a moot point.

Specifically, mites, small spiders, and carpet beetles can get in.

I know this first hand because it happened with my Oculus CV1 and I recently just had to throw it out.

The way you guys have an acrylic Shield between the lens and the display is a really good move, so it might actually work better than a conventionally ā€œsealedā€ device, since you have better access for maintenance.

1 Like

For the lense swap instructions perhaps you could recomend using an air duster spray can. Must be cheap as chips on Amazon

2 Likes

Hm. I may be slow on uptake here- but doesnā€™t the swap system kind of age proof the crystal to some degree? As better lenses are made they become an upgrade path. Or is the really limiting factor the panels? I canā€™t imagine them being easily swapped out.
Still I like the swappable lenses. Great idea.

2 Likes

I agree. I also think the Reality series will prove to have a nice evolution path for a long time because firmware and software improvements can offer so many new and improved capabilities. The swappable faceplates also offer some nice path options as well.

5 Likes

I am really looking forward to the impressions Bradley will report as he is a complete VR geek (and certainly was no Pimax fanboy before so we donā€™t have to worry about him being biased).

Now the missing features need to be implemented well to to make it a convincing overall package. There is a reason not so many peole spent big money on the Aero - while itā€™s visual quality was superior to anything out in the market at the time, that simply isnā€™t enough for a headset priced at 2k. At 800$ many, me included, would probably have bought it.

So hopefully we will see the missing features coming along well too. I myself will just wait though to see what the 12K brings as I expect the Crystal to need some time to become feature complete in good state and by that time we might have a better idea of the state (and additional challenges) of the 12K too.

4 Likes