Pimax try your best “pull-in” the 8KX schedule

I will update the V4 test results of 8KX for you tomorrow.

16 Likes

I’d have to say 8kX is a no-brainer choice for non-hectic type simulators, where terrain crawls past by fractions of a pixel between frames (EDIT: …so reduced framerate is not as bad a tradeoff); Not for instrumentation legibility, which is angularly large anyway, but for view distance.

(…but as far as UI goes: With increased resolution, it would be really nice if one could scale down the size of at least the largest holofac panels in Elite: Dangerous – really hate “reading my newspaper” off a huge imax wall - not only for the neck turning, but to bring the edges in toward the clear centre of the lens, too. :7 )

2 Likes

Angular resolution of the monitor you are reading this with right now is probably about the same as the Pimax 8kX. Lens quality of Pimax headsets is already much better than what you could get out of the HP Reverb, which is the only competitor.

Pimax is in a very good position to be the first to deliver such a product.

So, stick with the 8kX folks.

4 Likes

I wonder, what do we lose if we do not decide by the end of December, is it the bonus or the whole program ?

My 1080p monitor is about 50ppd, from my just-over-armlength-away seating position. The 8kX should be around 20-22.

The plans I guess; Cementing one’s keeping one’s pledges. It looks kind of weird that backers who keep their pledges are not eligible for the previous owner discount, although I suppose backers did pay less for their old 8k/5k+ units than regular buyers…

1 Like

you’ve probably already seen it by now, but they have agreed to extend the backer upgrade program deadline date. They haven’t announced the new deadline date yet though. Hopefully they will just tie the program date to coincide with whenever the product actually ships. Maybe give it a 2 week window after shipping has commenced.

3 Likes

Very much appreciate the more frequent communication!
Updates (any updates) are exciting for us here waiting. A lot better than silence.

14 Likes

Very much agreed. Thank you Matthew for your great work.

11 Likes

Its called “bleeding edge technology” for a reason, so far they have done pretty well. Unless you are terminally ill and soon to be deceased I think you will manage.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly…

1 Like

I have a similar worry. My eyesight is getting noticeably worse and will continue to do so. I’d like to get an 8KX while I can still actually use it. I’ll be getting eye surgery early in the new year (not yet scheduled), which should help, at least for a while.

Unfortunately, there’s a trade off. One of the reasons I don’t have a lot of spare cash right now is that I need to save money for the surgery. That’s on top of my recent unexpected (and significant) expenses.

12 Likes

Neal, hope you get your orbs fixed! Went thru a laser surgery myself a few years back.

5 Likes

Thanks! Luckily, it’s only my left eye that’s a problem, at least for now, but it’s rapidly gotten worse over the last few months. I’ve put off the cataract surgery due to all the unforeseen problems: tree fell on house, car repairs, and home maintenance, but it’s something I can’t put off much longer.

10 Likes

I doubt there is going to be a gtx 3000 and I doubt that why it got delayed.

1 Like

I am glad someone said this. Because only the naive would believe that the next gpu architecture is arriving before the end of 2020. AMD would have to pull something special out of the bag to force that.

2 Likes

We might see a 7nm re-release of the 2070/80, but just like they sat on the 2000s for a year longer than the first rumors suggested I don’t see why they would rush the 3000 to market.

1 Like

Good point. Nvidia does not need to compete with itself. The only reason would be to test 7nm process (before jumping to the new architecture) and to increase the yield. But with the markup they already have on those RTX cards, I guess they should be safe for a while.

I wish you well with the operation Neil and a speedy recovery

5 Likes

I doubt we will see 30xx cards until Q3 2020 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s a fairly simple out-patient surgery, but you aren’t sedated, only your eye is numbed. Since I’m in the US, my out-of-pocket costs will be high.

As for the tree damage, after 5 months, the repairs are finally finished, just last Saturday.

Anyway, I’d like Pimax to finish up the 8KX design, but they need to do it properly and not cut corners. The 8K+ and 8KX will likely make or break Pimax. I’d prefer they succeed, even though the company has made numerous mistakes. (At least communication has been better, as of late.)

6 Likes