Pimax Sept 16 News Update Speculation

Yes we do and it will be at least 1 day prior to connect on the 25th.

6 Likes

Would be interesting if someone could kindly make a poll to see: Number of (confirmed genuine) Pimax forum Kickstarter backers who havenā€™t been able to use their HMD at all in VR yet, as they donā€™t have base stations or hand controllers. E.g. Are we talking 25% of folk whose headsets have never been used, or far more/less?

We could take this opportunity to learn with another poll question. To study if the the most patient forum backers are those who already use their 5K/8K with Vive parts, or paradoxically, are the most quiet backers actually those who have given up hope and so are no longer emotionally invested in Pimax VR experience as after 2 years waiting for the required hardware, they just lost all passion for wanting to experience VR? Who knowsā€¦but we should know the scale of dissatisfaction as in business, this obviously links to brand loyalty. Without brand loyalty, Pimax wonā€™t dominate VR hardware manufacturing, forcing prices to drop via high global sales if they donā€™t achieve this.

Personally, other than turn mine on once (replacement 8K unit) my device remains boxed up, never used and yet I have no real frustration at all. Iā€™m totally accepting of the fact we will never get our base stations and hand controllers until Q1 2020. To me, getting upset is pointless as all it does is irritate or offend the very people we aim to have a good relationship with - Pimax.

Kickstarter experience in terms of ā€˜riskā€™ is like a preorder of a preorder of an unreviewed next gen GPU. Next time, if something looks to good to be true (years in advance technology Vs the competition but at a cheaper price) then it probably is best waiting and buying a finished product in a shop or a major online retailer. We knew this, but we wanted to advance VR tech, so we invested in Pimax.

The way forward, in my view, is a ā€˜backers only sticky threadā€™ that has a sensible projection date of when all hardware will be finished in the Pimax factory and delivered globally to backers.

Once backers read and accept this reality, then practically everyone will be more understanding, relieved and be able to accept the news updates with far less skepticism and hopefully renewed positivity.

1 Like

There is only one thing Pimax needs to do, but seems to disagree. That is communication. Doesnā€™t matter what the progress is, even release dates couldnā€™t bother me anymore at this point, we all know dates arenā€™t ever met, but just keep us updated with about the things you are working on. And do that on a weekly basis. Its so freakin simple??? But then again, we can request this over and over, nothing will change. Pimax has had 2 years to change their behaviour so im expecting no change at all. Unfortunately, not responding to anything is really starting to feel like they donā€™t care at all. Just f###ing say something here, is that too much to ask? The only one replying is someone who is not authorised to say anything.

It doesnā€™t matter of the answer to a question is the answer you likes to hear, itā€™s about being heared and being replied. Every other company will reply when asking questions. For the last time: I donā€™t care what the answer is, just answer us!

6 Likes

The communication problem is a cultural impedance mismatch. Iā€™m not sure how we can really hope that this could change if the leadership is primarily based in China.

1 Like

I bought one base station (new from Amazon), since Iā€™m only interested in seated games (no space for a VR room). Iā€™ve been enjoying my 8K immensely in Elite D and Assetto Corsa. Itā€™s also good for movies. Iā€™ve also played Hellblade and the original Quake (using VorpX).

Thereā€™s no reason to leave your HMD in a box (imo). There are plenty of interesting VR games/experiences which donā€™t need base stations or VR controllers.

Here are some seated games recommended by SweViver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N87W9X9SfU

7 Likes

Sorry, but i canā€™t imagine any conversation where itā€™s prohibited to question or answer?
No conversation is possible without these 2 ingrediƫnts. Whether its in China, EU, USA or wherever.
How do they communicate in silence? In telepathy? Or am i beginning to lose my mind :rofl:
Seems like no hmd is needed to be in vr, because i really start to feel like i am in another world :roll_eyes:

1 Like

To me, the way Pimax is acting is pretty much what I would expect from a mainland Chinese company trying to interface with the west - PR awkwardness, silence, misunderstandings due to language/idioms, etc. What Iā€™m saying is that I consider it ā€œnormalā€, so I donā€™t have my expectations set too high. Itā€™s too bad and kind of sad, because as you said, it seems so simple to do it right. Just communicate!

5 Likes

Yes iā€™m sure we all could forgive each other for some miscommunication more than for not communicating at all. Besides, a miscommunication can be set straight troughā€¦ Question and answerā€¦ Aaarrggh

For once, i had ideas of beginning trades with Chinese companies, but after this i realise i could end up in a psychiatric institution :joy:

5 Likes

@Yao did you share the tips with the team and how did they react to it? If i may humbly ask?
Please also reply if i may not ask?
Any update on your actions will be greatly respected. Thanks.

2 Likes

I think all you care will have a response soon, no more than 7 days, we are preparing it.

15 Likes

Coming soon ā„¢ā€¦
Letā€™s see

2 Likes

I can confirm you can get Vouchers, i could exchange my pledged lighthouse(including shipping) and handtrackingmodule for credit to buy the 8kx or something else

2 Likes

i vividly remember the case of the shipping crates with headset where the same got pictured in different places, no matter what, some people would not except explanations or anything else, and depending on culture and experience you might stop doing this because whatever you do people will look for errors, problems and deception, so no communication will at least give no base for that kind of argumentation

even within Europe you will find different ways how things in company communication are seen
if two departments of a (national) company are not communication with each other in one country thatā€™s seen as a problem as ā€œhow will processes work out if they are not talking to each other (facepalm)ā€ in another they might say ā€œgood, looks like there are no problems, so there is no need for communicationā€ - and thatā€™s just inside (western) Europe, imagine how its like between Europe and India or China, the cultural base is so different, even body language and hand signs are different if you go to middle east or central asia

4 Likes

Thanks for replying. We will seeā€¦

1 Like

Totally fine with me and i respect differences a lot. But adaption to each other has to come from both sides. Refusing to try explain or adapt yourself has nothing to do with cultural differences, imho.
Nothing wrong with trying.

What made it delayed so long? That is almost two weeks late.

I asked by mail if I could get a 5K+ (so I can compare (even if Iam pretty sure of the results) and my kids could use a wide FoV hs) instead of everything that is missing.
Didnt get answer but it would be better that wayā€¦

If the weather was delaying things that were prepaired and ready to disclose, then they could have already released available info. But weā€™re repeating ourselves forever. If there only was one subject to talk about, that would be totally fine for meā€¦ At least SOME newsā€¦
Ok, not if its about yet another hmd that i didnā€™t have backed :smile:
@SweViver what happened to you, man? Didnā€™t hear or see you, is everything ok?

3 Likes

He is also there in the US but probably got silencedā€¦