Pimax Roadshow-Third stop: Third stop: MRTV Headquarter

That is too bad. That one iirc wasn’ t it made more for Apple?

It’s really awesome that they went with the swappable lenses idea. If someone gets scratches on their lenses in shipping, people’s various vision problems, the variable fov settings can now actually have an impact on visuals, Etc. So glad they decided to go in that direction.

I don’t know if optilife is still in business, but it shouldnt be too bad to get third-party lenses.

I was even thinking if they can get 160 frames per second refresh rates working reliably, they could try some super resolution via pixel shifting if they wanted to do a set of lenses for higher fov or they wanted to squeeze some more resolution out of the crystal. Such a versatile device

1 Like

I’d have to look for it. But there is a company as I recall called Hypervision? That might be working with pimax on the 12k lenses as quite sometime (iirc over a year)prior to pimax announcing the 12k. This company had announced making lense systems for wide FoV with similar or same FoV Specs. Unconfirmed(speculation). @MarcoBalletta had shared a link with me on Discord. I imagine he had likely shared the link with pimax as well.

2 Likes

Sony 4k :muscle: (pi4k light) :rofl:

1 Like

One thing that I think is interesting is the possibility of holocake lenses before a company like meta gets them put into a consumer device.

PIMAX already has a good track record of squeezing higher frame rates out of their devices, so I think the ability to switch the lenses out means this one can have a longer lifespan.

I definitely think they should consider trying something with pixel shifting for enhanced resolution especially since they have integrated Tobii eye tracking.

I’ve noticed a lot of people are down on the tracking not working perfectly, but the fact that they have local dimming working on their LCD is very very impressive. I wonder if they’ve spoken to Mark rejon at blurbusters about strobe tuning the LCD to see if they can get some better motion resolution out of it.

2 Likes

Well it is true the p4k used the same mobile 4k panel in the early Xperia phone made by Sharp. lol

2 Likes

@twack3r Ok, I stand, or rather… sit… corrected. I don’t know that ‘run of the mill’ is a fair term though. Unless you consider the lenses of the Varjo Aero to be ‘run of the mill’ as well. The Quest Pro has pancake lenses I think, but it’s per eye resolution is lower than either the Pimax or Varjo.
I’ll be interested to see what the 12k has for lenses- and adjustment. I’ve been begging for fore and aft adjustability in Pimax headsets for years. As I understand it, the Valve Index already has this feature. For simple one piece lenses, one would think it would not be tough to engineer a telescoping feature into the faceplate to control the distance between the eyes and the lenses.
This is a bigger deal than the type of lens a design uses. IF you want plug and play, you have to have automatic IPD, AND some way to adjust the distance to the lenses as well.
My only real knock on my 8KX is that it really was quite a task to get it set up to suit me. That has to improve.

1 Like

@SweViver @PimaxUSA @hammerhead_gal could either of you tell us what the peak full screen brightness is on the crystal with a white screen?

I’m very interested in what I’ve heard about your local dimming being very good, so I’m just curious about the numbers for nit nerds like me lol

1 Like

Seb has put up a few user impression vids on his YouTube channel, here is one of them :

2 Likes

Thank you :+1:t2::+1:t2::innocent:

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

Auf Wiedersehen, Deutschland!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.