[Pimax Response please] Are Sword Sense controllers cancelled? What happened to the new controller design?

As far as I understand Ultraleap is making the handtracking with the module now, and Pimax will have no index style finger tracking since Sword Sense has been cancelled and Non-Sense controllers have been delayed until March 2020?

@PimaxUSA also stated that the controller designs changed significantly and looked nothing like they did at CES in 2019 after receiving criticisms at CES about the tracking rings bumping into each other, in an interview with MRTV where the ruggedized headsets were first shown, but this new controller design was never shown since then.

@PimaxUSA @Matthew.Xu If sword sense is cancelled why is there a need for such a large tracking ring? Would pimax consider the first prototype of the pimax controllers tracking ring design, similar to Knuckles style that comes out only on the outward side; instead of the large tracking rings which wrap around both sides of the wrists? A controller design similar to knuckles or oculus touch controllers would cause the least bumping of controllers into each other when using virtual weapons with both hands

1 Like

I have not heard that they had been cancelled. Just delayed.

1 Like

There was another thread where it was mentioned controller hand tracking is now supposedly entirely off the table, sorry for spreading misinformation if untrue but can @PimaxUSA clarify this?

Also the claim made in February by @PimaxUSA in the MRTV interview that the controller designs look nothing like they did at CES, after hearing criticism about the tracking ring it was said the tracking ring design changed entirely because of the criticism raised on the tracking ring design by reviewers at CES, still needs to be addressed; as its 7 months later and the controllers shown on Pimax Day in September looked identical to the 2018 and early 2019 versions?

2 Likes

I think we will have some answers soon.

3 Likes

Wow, As stated in Pimax day 1 The controllers are delayed NOT cancelled and because of delay you will have an option to pay a little more and change to the valve index controllers now or wait until March 2020 to get the sword controllers.

3 Likes

ish…
Im still waiting for the basestations that I should have in my hands right now.
Brotip for kevin, at pday2 don’t give any dates, just a ballpark figure +6 months

2 Likes

Ballpark figure is 2020 (end of) + 6 months is 2021 (end of) :wink:.

3 Likes

That is for sword controllers, not sword sense with finger tracking OP mentions. Sword sense are supposed to be few months later. But with Pimax you never know and speculating what will be on 06/2020 is pointless.

3 Likes

Perhaps you could share specifically how you come to the understanding Sense has been cancelled. I have heard nothing since Pimax Day video where Kevin says Sense perhaps 2 or 3 months after Sword.
35 min mark

3 Likes

I don’t really understand why the tracking ring diameter is still soo huge? Did it need to be, in order to function/track properly? Look at the Valve controllers in comparison. I thought it had been confirmed by Pimax staff that the design (large tracking ring) had “changed significantly” since customer feedback after the last CES? Nice to see the controllers in action in the recent vid posted by @Matthew.Xu , but a bit odd that he’s playing Beat Saber with only one hand in the video?

It might be that they ran a mockup that was significantly different, but it didn’t pan out so they regressed an iteration. But hey, that’s speculation and there’s no reason Pimax couldn’t answer these questions that keep coming up.

3 Likes

The elephant in the room.

1 Like

LOL, I’ll play with both hands next time.

3 Likes

no answer on the tracking ring size?

I need to check this with the structural engineer. :joy: