Pimax Now Event Discussion (merged)

Yes, I’m a 8k->5k+ backer. And on the 8KX upgrade.
Being able to buy the stretch goal bundle would be cool. It’s not clear if the KDMAS will be made available outside of backer rewards… I’m assuming it will.

1 Like

Don‘t believe the KDMAS is onEar but just floating - same hardware, just the DMAS gets more juice from the headset due to 2 cables?

1 Like

Added you to earlybackers group and added backer bling. Wekcome to the OpenMR forum!

1 Like

Not sure why they didn’t just include a y split cable adapter like they did for the Artisan using the p4k headphones.

Another development waiting time. Yay! :laughing:

1 Like

True but at least this one didn’t really have a timeline.

BTW are the audio modules on KDMAS identical to DMAS? If so I am willing to downgrade my 8KX with DMAS to SMAS and replace the audio module once I get KDMAS.

1 Like

That is a good question.

They said in the qa video it was on ear

Thanks for clearing that up!

Sweviver said that DMAS module is floating over ear about 1.5cm.

The 8KX circuit board is more complex and there is no room on it for a top USB connector. The only solution to keep it would involve making a new housing, which would introduce yet another long delay.

While I agree that this is bad form, I unfortunately think that Pimax made the right decision in this case.

2 Likes

They haven’t shown what the speakers for the KDMAS looks like yet, but it is on-ear rather than floating-ear.

While on-ear might give better sound isolation, I still prefer floating-ear … on-ear headphones have never been comfortable for me, and for me floating-ear will be better for immersion as nothing will be touching the ears. Also better heat dissipation.

1 Like

As a former military man and the son of a career military man, I’ve lived in many different parts of the world and experienced many different cultures. In fact, some of my ancestors came from the German-Swiss border region. So I completely understand how certain expressions can be received entirely differently than they were intended. That’s why I was so careful in the wording of my statement. Thank you for your response, no offense is taken.

The veterans’ discount is less for the profession I chose and more for my willingness to take care of work that most of the people in my country are wholly unwilling to do. I believe the German’s system of mandatory military service would benefit my country in countless ways. It seems to me that many Americans are far too ignorant about not only the rest of the world, but also about why our own country was formed and how it’s supposed to function. They seem to take too much for granted.

So, once again, thank you for your statement and thank you for your thoughtful consideration of mine.

1 Like

I thought that some might take the term “veteran’s discount” as meaning a discount for former backers. That’s why I was so wordy in my statement. I also thought it was somewhat odd that a Chinese company would be offering a discount for American military veterans. But Pimax asked for information proving that I was a veteran, so there’s no mistake. I have to say that I was a little bit suspicious of their motives, but I have no secrets to reveal.

2 Likes

During the QA video at 2 minutes and 45 seconds into the video Sweviver says specifically the KDMAS is an “on ear solution” and it will have “ear cups that touch your ears”

2 Likes

You can’t use a split cable, the single port on a 5k+ has insufficient power for DMAS or SMAS. The audio is barely audible on a 5k+ when you connect the DMAS that way.

6 Likes

You’re absolutely right that certain expressions are meant and taken entirely differently depending on where they’re said. That’s why I was picking my own words very carefully and trying to be polite while still addressing what bothered me. I was aware that this is an international forum, and it occurred to me that twack3r might not have meant any disrespect whatsoever. He has since shown that he is very thoughtful by saying that he meant no offense, and I’ve responded that none was taken. I’m finding that there are quite a few people in this forum who impress me with their thoughtfulness. Not all, but quite a few. By the way, many old folks in my area don’t like the term “geezer” either. This is a big country, so I can’t speak for the whole thing. Maybe somewhere they don’t mind it.

2 Likes

The cups on the KDMAS are much larger than the DMAS and ear cup is headphone style. It looks nice but still testing different thickness ear cups and didn’t show a photo because that would have been interpreted as the official cup when the cup might change. The cup comes off so in theory people can replace it with different third party ones provided they have the right diameter.

2 Likes

How far behind is the KDMAS from the DMAS?