Pimax Now Event Discussion (merged)

Because there’s no alternative, unless you delay shipping another 6+ months and redesign the housing.

1 Like

I don’t understand. They were planning the MAS long before the newer headsets came out. They should design it for the headsets people already own since we’ve been waiting the longest and then have another one for the newer headset.

1 Like

And end up with even MORE SKUs to track? That is a road to an even bigger logistics nightmare. No.

2 Likes

Yes, they have explained that at the end.
Ok, no more options and no more delays.
It’s not about how the headset looks at outside though, I don’t care about that either, but it’s modularity has been reduced by half

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious how the ‘floating’ Valve Index esque DMAS which is a paid for upgrade, is (according to the graph data) sonically superior to the free KDMAS if this third audio option is an ‘on ear’ design with, apparently, physically larger drivers and better bass response.

More wattage perhaps on DMAS?

It certainly does NOT sound as if you could run both via the 8KX simultaneously - the below statement effectively says you can run one via the 8KX and the second would need to have a separate cable (via a separate hub or not) to the PC.

That statement by PimaxUSA further implies bandwidth is the reason Eye Tracking and Hand Tracking modules cannot share the USB3 port on the 8kX.

3 Likes

Omitting the vastly more versatile top USB-C port from the 8KX is a complete screw-up and put a big downer on most of the event for me.

I relied on the top port up until now to use the VR N CHILL with the 8K, and expected to be able to continue using it with eye tracking (with a mini USB-C hub) on the 8KX without requiring cables that have to be run to the bottom port on the headset which is not only ugly to look at, but awkward to place the headset on a flat surface while connected.

I hope you will be releasing 3D print blueprints so that third parties can more easily create custom module attachments to house USB hubs and tidy away some of the cable clutter that will arise from this awful design decision. This also goes for the MAS - please release 3D printable templates for the headphone attachments so we can create and attach our own audio solutions on the MAS.

2 Likes

I thought there were two options?

1. Patch cord from top eye tracking module to lower USB (by physically removing hand tracking module first).Meaning hand tracking is disabled if using eye tracking.

2. Buy a long USB cable run from top eye tracking module to PC USB 3.0 hub for external, off headset power? Meaning lower hand tracking module can remain plugged in and operational?

Maybe I’m confusing USB power with USB data?

By the way, I backed the hand tracking module so I want a work around DIY hack to work!

Would a very low profile USBC connector attached to black FlexPCB address this for you? If so, I think there is enough interest for me to make this aftermarket product.

4 Likes

You have backed an 8kx with two video cables. Now you have an 8kx with one video and a additional usb cable. So long… not fine, but…

1 Like

Well, they would have been bundled into one, presumably lighter weight cable. Very fair point nonetheless.

Still confused with the dmas and kdmas. I ordered the 8kX as an upgrade to my backer 5K+ and paid the $100 for the deluxe audio strap. What headphones am I getting and when am I getting it?

I can understand your viewpoint as your only likely to use 1 module. An adapter hub will have a problem with the mounting of the handtracking unless a pass through is implemented. I can appreciate the pcb not leaving room at the top and they didn’t want to add more delays to tool the housing to relocate the top port.

However @MarcoBalletta has used I think it was Virtual link to make a usb device wireless using wifi mini router.

Please read my comments elsewhere on this forum. It is rather obvious this is a bandwidth problem, and will require a second cable, which is potentially a much greater inconvenience to some users.

Including extra USB3 wires in the 8kX cable, with a receptacle near the headset, would be nice.

1 Like

Blappy were you a KS backer?

The extra USB is for power as Marcin said. If it is Bandwidth then it would be simpler for them to say that vs stating no room on the top pcb area. :wink:

The wireless module and the number of cables attached to the HMD are irrelevant unless the wireless module itself has USB port

Another member pointed out the Wireless module would replace the all in one cable. So yes it might be possible that it might also give an additional USB port.

Honestly I think overall this presentation is very good and we should relax a little. Imho a lot of good things have been presented; like finally adding a VR interface to pitool for launching etc…

6 Likes

You would get the dmas. Sounds like the dmas is shipping in August. The kdmas is for those backers who did not upgrade to an 8KX and pay for the das upgrade. It is what you would get for free if you did not opt out of your stretch goals.

1 Like