Pimax gives away 100% revenue share to Devs in exchange for store support

Unfortunately I think they are indeed going to struggle with numbers. Still waiting to see the VR mode of portal working properly (when I tried it, it was just a 360 image).

If it comes out with a properly good VR standalone mode then it might actually have a chance. As it is, I think it will be popular as a handheld android gaming device but I’m skeptical about the VR side until we see it working properly.

It might actually sell well, but it could also be a total flop. I think it would need to come out extremely soon to have much chance (as a VR device at least).

2 Likes

I think something you might be forgetting is this company’s domestic market being roughly 3 times the size of the whole population of the United States of America.

Just because they have sold 605 units of the portal in a Kickstarter campaign, is no indication of how many units they have actually produced, or how much silicon they have purchased or allocated towards making this device available worldwide.

Based on the SOC that’s inside, i’m sure there was a minimum order between the 12 K the crystal and the portal that was very large.

If not, QUALCOMM simply would not have done business with them.

No I’m not wrong but you are wrong and Pimax are wrong if they see Portal Veiwer as their primary goal for future Dev support. I’m shocked.

It’s nice to see that you don’t address a single thing he said, and merely say that he’s wrong.

You didn’t respond anything I said either, so if you’re right and everyone else is wrong, why do you have to come to the Internet to bitch about it?

Are you a Portal backer?

If I am, what difference does it make to the BS you’re saying?

This is not the only VR start up that has its own software store, or its own dev environment, or device specific optimizations that need to happen.

The fact that it has a QUALCOMMSOC in it means it had to have been a huge order to be worth it for QUALCOMM to do business with them.

Let’s say the store is indeed tailored to the portal, even for VR. Their entire hardware stack has an SOC in bedded in it for mobile use.

People would use VR a lot more if more headsets had embedded SOC‘s meta-has proved that. The other thing that you didn’t address was that the existence of the portal or Primax devices does not impinge on any other platforms revenue stream for a developer.

Even if this thing is the most garden-variety, android device of which there are thousands, the device having a 4K panel, and an XR two means that it’s ideal for emulation. You could probably even emulate in VR.

The only barrier of entry this thing has to pass for quality is a quest one. If Primax can nail that level of quality, just the size of their domestic market in China will make it worthwhile for them.

Are you a Portal backer?

1 Like

Yes are you going to answer now?

I’m a game developer. Do I have to port to Crystal too?

I’m a game Developer Quest 3 in coming out later this year I’m too busy to take on a XR2 device.

I’m a game developer I’m still working on the Pico4 port.

As a developer, you should know you wouldn’t have to port directly to Pimax’s platform, and if you did not, you would still have access to that revenue stream. Because Pimax customers could still access your software through other platforms.

However, if the portal does well domestically in China. Do you want to cut yourself off from that potential revenue stream of millions?

The crystal has built-in, Tobii eye tracking which to me, would suggest you might want to port, your software directly to the crystal, for unique capabilities, it may offer you. If they are offering you 100% on their platform for the software that you sell, you would be an idiot walking away from free money, even if they didn’t sell so many units.

The beautiful part, though, is that you do not have to port to their store or platform. However, you’re the one trying to play this off is a bad thing for the company even though several others do it, in countries with much smaller populations.

1 Like

OK, I get it. You have other ports going on
for more profitable devices. So why bag on Pimax for doing exactly what other manufacturers are doing with their own devices?

1 Like

If Qualcomm had a minimum order like you allude too why wouldn’t a game developer have the same minimum sales target before they made any attempt to port their game?

Companies jump onboard unsually when they hear good news. The Kickstarter does not fill one with confidence. 605 would put me off but thats me.

You’re being disingenuous. It has to be more than 605 units. All the 12 K units all the portal units, all the crystal units, etc. All of those have a built-in SOC.

You say that you are a software developer, but you wonder why you would want to port to another device in a country with a population as big as China?

You’re also conveniently, ignoring the pimax is an open VR capable device.

Porting your software to the headset will not be difficult for you to do, but it may offer you unique capabilities, that other platforms dont

Look at all the quest two developers porting their software to PS VR 2. That’s a relatively small install base at a particular moment.

I still think pimax should try for a compatibility layer for some of the old apps that Meta abandoned.

Imagine porting some of the old DK1 demos For a VR platform that you could play on your handheld. All the old gear, VR software? These are abandoned platforms.

1 Like

Who in their right mind is going to spend $3000 on a 12k to play standalone? Lets not even go into hardware sales numbers.

But lets see what happens I could be completely wrong. I haven’t been wrong so far.

Nobody is going to be buying the high end for the purpose of standalone, but that’s entirely different than saying they won’t use it if it’s available.

Big screen, VR, chat, Netflix, beat, saber, etc. are some of the biggest most used apps in VR. If those can run in standalone on the entire hardware stack, that’s not a bad thing, and might even mean people will use their headsets more often.

I had a rift CV1 and a gear, VR. The latter got much more use because I could just slip it on and off in a variety of locations. Laying in bed to watch Netflix, just wanting to pop in to VR chat.

I had my gear, VR first, and used to use Trinius VR to plug it into my PC.

The key is going to be having the right apps.

An app I would absolutely love to see, would be Plex. If I could set up a Plex server with all the rips of my Blu-ray’s, DVDs, etc., slap on a crystal and pipe the audio through my surroundsound, that might be a real Bitchin way to watch a movie.

You’ll never see that Meta title on the Pimax store in reality will you.

They could make a clone of a game like beat saber for their domestic market. I’m just puzzled as to why you give. All the other companies leeway for doing the exact same things and working in the exact same way, but you have a hard on to bash Pimax

Big screen is a free app.