Pimax Day 3 today - what time will it begin? (it's March 25th, 2PM EST)

https://community.openmr.ai/t/weekly-update-12th-march-2021/35242

What time will it be? has anyone heard? or will it be delayed until later this week or in April @PimaxQuorra?

4 Likes

It will be delayed for sure :rofl:

4 Likes

We already saw 90Hz is now supported. What more could we hope to see announced? hint hint :wink:

1 Like

Yep. It will be Thursday at 2pm EST.

6 Likes

we’ll be very lucky if we have a pimax day by the end of march :smiley:

A new pimax 8k X Pro would be nice with new lenses display port 2.0 full rgb stripe oled like in the star vr one . Release 2022 holiday

3 Likes

Indeed, that would be nice. Though I would rather have an aftermarket kit.

At that rate, I will be grinding my own aftermarket lenses much, much sooner. Just because I can (I have been edging towards making CNC lens/mirror grinding machines for a while).

1 Like

if you can make some decent aftermarket lenses I’m sure many people would pay for it.

Problem is bulk ordering brings costs down and it’s a hell of an investment to sit on waiting for sales isn’t it :confused:

2 Likes

Out of curiousity how much would you say a small order of 1-10 sets would cost you? Have you done the research yet? I did remember reading a while ago bulk orders of optical plastic lenses can be as cheap as $20 a set but that’s large bulk. Or how much would you plan to sell them for after factoring in your profit margins?

Pricing depends on cost of blanks, labor of loading/unloading/maintaining the machine, and fulfillment. Probably anywhere from $10-$150 each, probably all the manufacturing being done by 3D Connected Printing, again. These would be made entirely from blank acrylic/glass blocks, CNC milled to approximate shape, CNC polished until optically correct, and CNC polished further until optically clear.

That is, if Pimax doesn’t offer such lenses themselves sooner, and if I can spare the time to create the specialized workstation just to make VR lenses, and if I can spare the time to figure out the optics of making truly perfect lenses for this specific application.

Really, this would just be a side project resulting from technology I have been developing for entirely different purposes.

Now, let’s not derail the thread by going too far off topic. Thanks for the interest though. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah fair enough, hopefully Pimax do have new lenses up their sleeves they’re working on they can show us in a few days or before 2022. .

120hz or even 90hz full rgb oled 4k displays with 6ghz wifi6 or wifi 6E capable wireless and new lenses, would make the 8KX a near perfect experience

1 Like

I would absolutely prefer 8k LCD and no wireless.

I’m curious why that is? you know that 6ghz wireless has a max bandwidth of around 5 times that of 5ghz? And OLED has better color reproduction?

Color quality is mostly held back by lack of saturation/unsharp filter control, which is obviously solvable in software.

Wireless still holds me back less than resolution. There are a few things (ie. reading books, writing code) which an even higher resolution display would be useful for.

Even if there was an RGB 4k oled model you still have that opinion? It’d be hard to source but say there was

would you not use wireless even if it was an option because of the compression or because of the heat or other em radiation? 6ghz isn’t 5G bandwidth and it should receive fairly low power so theoretically it should be emitting non ionising raidiation,

if it’s not drawing say 1000-2000 watts from the AC outlet (which an AC outlet can put out for heaters or microwaves for example)

I’m more concerned about wifi modules on the head emitting heat radiation and being exposed to that for long periods, and batteries exploding compared to ionising wifi radiation personally

Yes. Only way I am really going to want something other than LCD is if the dynamic range and image persistence actually matches native vision. We might actually have a better chance of getting there dynamic backlighting of an LCD, but I am betting CryEngine-like trickery will be able to render night scenes well enough that we won’t care as much about the hardware.

Battery life, weight, some of the VR accessories I may use, among other related things. I expect to remain tethered regardless of the technology (and no of course I do not fear microwaves).

What about for playing more active games that aren’t Sims that require you to move around a fair bit in 360 degrees? do you use a pulley system at all?

We don’t play those kinds of games generally for more than a couple hours, but with respect to battery life why not just have extra batteries charging lined up for use?

Also on LCD vs OLED color reproduction, I haven’t seen any LCDs that offer lifelike color reproduction yet, only oleds. Maybe they’ll make some HDR LCDs some day which are lifelike in color I haven’t but I haven’t seen it yet though, does that dynamic backlighting have anything to do with HDR? I read it has to have “local dimming” to be HDR compatible.

If it does exist, why aren’t they being used in VR headsets yet? I have heard people say really good things about the reverb G2’s color and how it was approaching HDR levels of color fidelity, but yeah not quite HDR yet.

Currently, I just let my 5k+ cable get stomped against the floor a bit. It has a reasonably long life, and can breakaway from the GPU safely if necessary.

However, in the long term, I expect more advanced sorts of ‘VR treadmills’ will be the best solution.

Speak for yourself!

Even a battery that lasts two hours will be heavy. I tried some of the wireless prototypes at CES (reminder: non-Pimax device, this was for a Vive), and it does not take much to make the headset wobble/inertia less tolerable than the wire for me.

That said, I can imagine some people will absolutely love wireless, and it will happen anyway.

HDR is about the red/green pixels having separate spectrum, so you actually get red, instead of orange. My 65inch LCD display is HDR.

Dynamic backlighting improves contrast ratio. So nighttime scenes could maybe one day be dark enough so that your eyes can only see monochrome. From my experience using it with this monitor, it works, and has the potential to get there. I used the phrase ‘dynamic range’ for this because I think in terms of analog electronic design…

OLED has never been able to get close to that kind of black level for VR, due to image persistence.

1 Like

Also I’m really curious how an LCD could achieve such variance in color gamnut profile with blacks to be considered HDR when LCD blacks don’t ever really turn off since they have a much higher persistence compared to OLED diodes

Have you tried putting the battery pack on a belt though with a hip tracker?