Pimax Day 2 Information Compilation Megathread. All Information from Stream in Textform

I’ve re-watched the Stream and I’m compiling all information posted or linked here including any questions answered so they can be easily referenced with a CTRL+F. Please scroll through the table of contents and use CTRL+F to find the info you are looking for.

Someone please Sticky this somewhere @Heliosurge

Feel Free to correct any mistakes and I will try my best to keep this updated. For any ambiguous statements I’ve linked Timestamps where you can find statements from the Stream.

My Personal recommendation for 8K and 5K+ Backers is to NOT pick any upgrade plan until all the information is gathered and all questions are answered.

Table of Contents

1. Things that need to be FIXED by Pimax

2. Things that need to be Addressed by Pimax

3. Roadshows

4. New Website

5. Pimax 8KX and 8K+ shipping information

6. Upgrade Plans (Headsets) PLAN A to PLAN D

7. Upgrade Plans (Controllers/Base Stations) PLAN E and PLAN F

8. Upgrade Plans for Pimax 8KX Backers

9. Silicone Protective Cover

10. Eye Tracking Module+ Prescription Lens Adapter

11. 3 Piece of Free Content

12. Pimax 5K+ 120hz /120 FPS Mode

13. New Pitool Update

14. PIMAX Open-Source

15. Questions and Answers

Things that need to be FIXED by Pimax:
Plan E, F and G are not available on the Website.(RESOLVED)

Prescription Lens Adapter files still not uploaded

Things that need to be Addressed by Pimax:
Taxes.
Fringe Cases that are not covered by the Plan A-G. E.g Pimax Backers who only backed Controllers (Please add more Fringe Cases and I’ll update this category)* - Recommendation by @PimaxUSA is to create a Ticket and give details. *Source

Roadshows

VR Days Europe Exhibition (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
14-15 November 2019

VR Berlin Meetup (Berlin, Germany)
27 November 2019

VR Space Meetup (Gouda, Netherlands)
1 December 2019

CES 2020 Exhibition (Las Vegas, USA)
7-10 January 2020

New Website - https://www.pimax.com/

Pimax 8KX and 8K+ shipping information.

Pimax Vision 8KX and 8K+ have ‘new coating’ and new Design/Housing/Materials same as RE.

Pimax Vision 5K+ doesn’t have the ‘new coating’ but also has new Design/Housing/Materials same as RE.

Pimax 8KX still ‘On Track’ to ship to backers: 18 December 2019.

Pimax 8K+ limited shipping on November 2019.

Modular Audio Strap is included in all the 'Vision Series including the Pimax 5K+, 8K+ and 8KX.

Upgrade Plans

Upgrade Plans (Headsets) PLAN A - PLAN D

Backer Upgrade Plan A
For 8K Backers who swapped to 5K+ and backed the ‘Full Bundle’ (Base Station + Controllers) Prices displayed below include a $50 opt-out discount which is available only until 31 December 2019.

Option 1: Pimax 8K+ for $449 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $649 + shipping (Using your 100$ coupon from switching to 5K+).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Base Station and Controllers + Eye Tracking Discount.

Option 2: Pimax 8K+ for $499 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $699 + shipping (Using your 100$ coupon from switching to 5K+).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Base Station and Controllers. But you can keep your Eye Tracking Discount.

The Eye tracking Discount is $100. The usual price of Eye Tracking is $200 and the price for Backers is $100.

Backer Upgrade Plan B
For 8K/5K+ Backers who backed the ‘Full Bundle’ (Base Station + Controllers) Prices displayed below include a $50 opt-out discount which is available only until 31 December 2019.

Option 1: Pimax 8K+ for $549 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $749 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Base Station and Controllers + Eye Tracking Discount.

Option 2: Pimax 8K+ for $599 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $799 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Base Station and Controllers. But you can keep your Eye Tracking Discount.

The Eye tracking Discount is $100. The usual price of Eye Tracking is $200 and the price for Backers is $100.

Backer Upgrade Plan C
For 8K Backers who swapped to 5K+ wanting to keep their ‘Full Bundle’ (Base Station + Controllers) or did not back the ‘Full Bundle’. Prices displayed below include a $50 opt-out discount which is available only until 31 December 2019.

Option 1: Pimax 8K+ for $749 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $949 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount)(Using your 100$ coupon from switching to 5K+).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Eye Tracking Discount. You will keep your Base Stations and Controllers if you backed them.

Option 2: Pimax 8K+ for $799 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $999 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount)(Using your 100$ coupon from switching to 5K+).
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals. But you can keep your Eye Tracking Discount. You will keep your Base Stations and Controllers if you backed them.

Backer Upgrade Plan D
For 8K Backers/5K+ wanting to keep their ‘Full Bundle’ (Base Station + Controllers) or did not back the ‘Full Bundle’. Prices displayed below include a $50 opt-out discount which is available only until 31 December 2019.

Option 1: Pimax 8K+ for $849 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $1,049 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount)
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals + Eye Tracking Discount. You will keep your Base Stations and Controllers if you backed them.

Option 2: Pimax 8K+ for $899 + Shipping , Pimax 8KX for $1,099 + shipping (8KX Price includes a special $100 discount)
You will be opting-out of all Backer Stretch-goals. But you can keep your Eye Tracking Discount. You will keep your Base Stations and Controllers if you backed them.

Upgrade Plans (Controllers/Base Stations) PLAN E and PLAN F

Backer Upgrade Plan E
For Backers who choose Plan A or Plan B.

‘Full Bundle’ for $479 + Shipping
(2x Steam VR 2.0 Base Stations + 2x Steam VR Index Knuckle Controllers)

Base Stations and Controllers ‘Arriving’ but no date is currently cited as of 31 October 2019. Controllers will start to ship next month.

Backer Upgrade Plan F
For ALL Backers including Backers who choose Plan C or Plan D.

If you backed the ‘Full Bundle’ (Base Station + Controllers). You can upgrade ‘Pimax Controllers’ to ‘Valve Index Knuckle Controllers’ for $179 + Shipping.

Upgrade Plans for Pimax 8KX Backers

Backer Upgrade Plan G

Option 1: Keep your loaner headset(8K or 5K+) for $450. Keep your stretch goals and Eye Tracking Discount.

Option 2: Keep your loaner headset(8K or 5K+) for $200 if you opt-out of all your stretch goals. Keep the Eye Tracking Discount. (This option includes a $150 bonus if you opt into this plan before 31 December 2019)

Option 3: If you never received a loaner unit you can purchase an 8K or 5K+ for $200 if you opt-out of all your stretch goals. Keep the Eye Tracking Discount or $450 and keep your stretch goals and Eye Tracking Discount.

Alternatively if you do not wish to keep your loaner unit. Pimax will provide a return label (up to $35 shipping cost).

Note to @SweViver * at Official Pimax Day 2 Announcements Timestamp 37:12 I think Preorder Controllers and Base Stations is $479 not $279 as stated in the video.

For Fringe Cases not covered under Plan A to G you can still apply for the Plan and write a Ticket . I personally do not advise this. I am not a Pimax Employee. This is my personal recommendation as a consumer. You should definitely file a ticket though.

Better handling of shipping/logistics/taxes from Pimax

All links above are the statements from Pimax Employees.

Silicone Protective Cover

Can protect the headset from a 1.5m or 3-4 feet Drop?

Eye Tracking Module+ Prescription Lens Adapter

Shipping to Beta Testers on 15 December 2019.
Works with Prescription Lenses
(Files Prescription Lens Adapter for the available right now? Link Needed Currently Cited Website 404 Page) and Future VR Headsets.
New Price $199.95.
Backer Price $99.95.

Prescription Lenses Adapter might need personalized modifications if 3D printed

You can place your Prescription Lenses in the Eye Tracking Device.
Prescription Lenses have to be put in the Eye tracking device. 3D Printed Prescription Adapter not compatible with Eye Tracking.

$50 Credit for Opting out of the Eye Tracking Backer Discount. So far can only confirm that this credit can only be used in the Upgrade Plans. Further Clarification needed if it can be used on other items.

If everything goes smoothly, maybe demoing Eye Tracking on Roadshows.

3 Piece of Free Content

Content 1: The Dream Collector - To be sent this month
Content 2: The First Class VR - To be sent this month
Content 3: To be announced in November ( In Development/ Optimized for Pimax Sword Controllers)

Pimax 5K+ 120hz /120 FPS Mode

Pimax Alpha Releases Today. LINK
Brain Warp 1.5
120hz Mode only supported by ‘Small’ 130 FOV Mode.
Public Pitool Alpha Releases Tomorrow.

Pimax 5K+ is the most popular headset.

New Pitool Update

Pimax 5K+ 120Hz Refresh Rate

Physical Resolution Reduction
Limit Pixel Area when FOV is reduced. Approximately 10% performance gains in VR.

Chevron RGB Lighting Color Selection
3 Colors so far.

PIMAX Open-Source

Current Version on Github will be updated til it’s stable.
When it is stable. A new branch will be created.

Questions and Answers

When can you order Pimax 8KX + 8K+?
Pimax 8KX and 8K+ available for order Today.

Base Stations and Controllers Shipping?
Base Stations and Controllers ‘Arriving’ but no date is currently cited as of 31 October 2019. Controllers will start to ship next month.

Prescription Lens Adapter?
(Files Prescription Lens Adapter for the available right now? Link Needed Currently Cited Website 404 Page)

Wireless Module Video coming Soon™. Doesn’t currently work with the 8KX. Works with 5K+/8K/8K+.

No current plans for Inside-out tracking.

Not currently possible to extend the cable of the Pimax 8KX.

No Virtual-link support. SLI Game dependent.

Minimum Spec for 8KX? Depends on what games you run.

Sweat Free Comfort Kit Pad with Similar Materials to the Index Facepad? Experimenting. Current Facepad better than before. Upgrade incoming.

8KX and 5K+/8K uses completely different cables. Not compatible.

Hand tracking and Eye Tracking can be used together at the same time.

Enhanced Cables - Snowflakes solved.

Base Stations and Controllers are shipped from Valve to Pimax.

Cooling fans used together with Hand Tracking + Eye Tracking? Not likely. Not tested yet.

Most recent version of Pimax on Github? Combination

Pimax Open Source HMD Firmware? Yes

Update on Brainwarp? Updated on every version.

Rugged Edition Price? Custom

8KX Backers cannot upgrade to 8KX RE

Comfort Difference Between 8KX and 8KX RE? No difference

Dynamic Foveated Rendering with GTX 10XX series card? No, not compatible.

Will backers be able to use Wireless $100 discount coupon on the Index Controller Upgrades? No.

1 Step RMA + Upgrade? No. Not enough Manpower.

37 Likes

Reserved for Unanswered Questions.

Post any unanswered questions and I’ll recompile them below.

This literally took HOURS.

As a community we should do the Math on all PLAN A to G before making any decisions to see if we are actually getting a good deal. Just my personal opinion.

8 Likes

They didn’t talk about when can we get Upgrade Plan F, right?

Nope not in the stream. Someone said in 2 days but we need @SweViver @PimaxUSA @Matthew.Xu to confirm when Plan E, F and G are coming.

2 Likes

Nah. Ok. Thanks mate.

as long as i can take my 100 usd all purpose coupon from going from 8k to 5k+ and put it towards eye tracking being 0 dollerydoos, i am satisfied.

5 Likes

Another thing that needs solving :wink: Previously given coupons (for example for cracks in headset) have expired:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/my-coupon-where-it-is/23060/6

And a question:

• If I paid extra (as a pre-order customer) for the handtracking module in the old shop module (can no longer find that purchase as the shop has been wiped?), do they have a list of who to ship this to (along with the MAS?) or do I need to start reminding them that I already paid for the module (I paid using the “pay the difference” item in the old shop)? :slight_smile:
3 Likes

I changed from a 8k to the 5k+.
Will i be able to use that discount And the Wireless 100$ discount together?

From what i remember they have said yes to this before, but theyv doubled over and gone back on their words before.

Also i have never received any coupons im my mail that i know of.

Edit:

“You can use both wireless coupon and the $100 coupon with 5K+ ($200 in total) to buy wireless module.
Since the accessories are not available now, you can use the $100 coupon in the future.”

From the "We are about to ship your Pimax Kickstarter reward! " mail on 5 dec. 2018.

3 Likes

And the Controller/Base Station Pre Orders? Can switch his money to 8KX?
@PimaxUSA @SweViver

They mention shipping controllers and stations in November, do they mean those from Valve or the custom ones from Pimax?

I’m a bit sad that 1-step RMA & upgrade won’t be possible, but it’s understandable.
One question on this though that I hope can be answered: I am currently waiting to send off my 5K+ for RMA. Is it useful to wait so that the unit I get will be with the new housing?

1 Like

Those from Valve. Pimax controllers May+ if I recall correctly (announced in PD1)

So I do not see any discount for a person who Only backed 8k and then went for 5k+
I know I have $100 coupon for the “down grade” but is there any other discount to upgrade to the 8k+ or 8kx ?

Update:
Wait I see it now it’s Backer Upgrade Plan C

Can some one post the retail no discount price for the 8k+ 8kx to comparison.

from the look of things, you need to give up your backer stretch goals and use you downgrade coupon to get the “discount” so in reality it does not seem like it’s much of a discount at all.

3 Likes

You should put in the issues section the prices on the website are wrong. If you choose option 2 on any of the backer programs the price jumps 100 dollars more than what was stated.

I am pretty sure you can do that, what you cited them on. However, what you cannot do is go the opposite direction - use the dedicated wireless 100$ coupon for any other item. Imho they have been pretty consistent in ruling out the use of the wireless coupon for other purposes than the wireless module.

As a 8k to 5k+ only Backer I feel there is no discount at all. I wasn’t expecting a 8kx for 500 bucks, but 1100? I’ve bought the complete index package for the price (HMD, basestation 2.0 and index controllers) and we are talking about high quality materials and no cheap plastic here.

3 Likes

Can we apply the coupons for cracked casings? If so, how? I was one of the backers who accepted a100 dollar coupon for this instead of a replacement.

I don’t actually have a coupon or anything but I was told on my ticket that pimax would record it.

Apologies if this had been addressed, didn’t find it.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Ok, so, I’m a kickstarter backer, backed an 8k but downgraded to the 5k+, just the HMD. I never seem to have received a coupon (should I have?), and all I’m interested in at this point is the modular audio strap when it’s available. What should I do at this point?

3 Likes

I got answered that the audio strap will be sent in December to all backers.

Concerning the 100$ coupon there are already a lot of complaints… We have to be able to use it for any accessory.

3 Likes