Pimax Customer Opinion Poll (MAS Side Pads)

The BEST facial interface foam that I’ve tried in the past is hands down on the Valve Index. Whatever that material is, worked best for me. I sweat in VR sometimes but unfortunately, I cant stand PU Leather either - it irritates me. The sweat wicking material used on the Valve Index was truly something else - i havent seen that face foam material in other headsets yet…

Aside from that, I dont use the MAS because it’s too wobbly. The sides are too far out for me. They need to be closer in, or have that extra thickness, in my opinion

6 Likes

That’s interesting. I was wondering if I could get some 3d printed slides for the speakers on the DAS that were a bit longer, and at a better angle - but they are metal, so I can probably just carefully bend them a bit. It’s just annoying because I’m constantly having to readjust the speakers while racing, which can be tricky lol.

1 Like

I agree. Its a very comfortable setup. My only issue was that I felt like my face was always smudging the lenses of the Index, and made me OCD-clean them.

The nice thing about the Pimax, especially with the thicker Vive face pads and forehead pad, my face NEVER hits the screens, so I never have to clean them (keeping the eventual swirls and scratches off much longer.)

1 Like

The foam curvature was garbage itself - its too tight and all, but the material was amazing.

If you measure the diameter of the Vive Das speakers. I have seen Cushions you can buy for other headphones. So you could likely 3dprint or mod a set of replacement foams.

Using some of the guides in that MAS guide you can likely adapt even some of the quest speakers to attach to Vive DAS.

I think its a good idea in suggesting bout the side foam actually. Since it can like stay in place around your head when you move around in VR.

So it would be nice to have other option of sizes of the side foam.

2 Likes

Dear all,

Much appreciated for all the suggestions for the MAS side pads.
We will summarize the results and comments, forward to the PM and Engineering Team.
This would definitely help them to create something better for Pimax!

3 Likes

I really found the rear head pad the worst maybe because I’m bald but after 15 min it started to really hurt and it was very uncomfortable so I cut out a piece of the foam behind it so it had more room to fit the angle at the back of my head and I bought a vive pro replacement it’s soft pu leather and this solved the problem completely now I can play like 4 hours straight no problem so I guess the biggest issue was the material
I think this would need more attention then the side foam or maybe it’s just my head that was the problem lol

2 Likes

Clone the vive DAS straps and audio, period. Get rid of the bulky, narrow rear pad setup. It interferes with racing sims if using a racing seat with headrest by pushing your head forward.
Add a fan/vents to reduce heat and sweating (8kx)

I definitely don’t agree on that… DAS audio is really bad. Lo-Fi if You will… :slight_smile:

Why not create a simple “slim” MAS for sim racers instead? Maybe even one without onboard audio (so You can use whichever headphones You like)…?

I definitely agree on the vents part. They could do it like Kiwi does it for the Quest:
https://www.kiwidesign.shop/collections/new-products/products/facial-interface-for-oculus-quest-2

There’s no light leakage and it’s works really well… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Why not create a simple “slim” MAS for sim racers instead?”

That’s what I’m saying. Sort of. Create/clone a new headstrap. It’s not the MAS that’s the issue. It’s that the back padding is about 4" thick for no benefit. And the back padding is only a few inches across leading to a small contact area and no real support if you move your head side to side.

There is a reason so many people 3D print the adapters and use the Vive DAS strap. It’s a much better setup. Take some design cues from what works and what people are having to hack together. It’s sad that we pay $1200 and have to do all these mods.

Yep, those Q1 vents look nice. But I’m also thinking about cooling the electronics.
This is what I’m using:

2 Likes

I know what the DAS is (I have it mounted on my old 5K+)… :wink:

I’m just saying I don’t like the sound of the drivers on it.

There are better options out there.

I don’t like the comfort better on the DAS either.

What I’m trying to say is that people are different and it’s not a one-size-fits-all, but options are of course good… :+1:

And who knows? :upside_down_face: Maybe Pimax will get it right with their DMAS… :wink:

BTW -They did take design cues it seems…

I mean the *MAS design is very close to identical to the Vive Pro design…

3 Likes

with the htc vp, the headstreap works and relieves the face. this does not work well on the pimax hmds. it is the only headset with rickety hinges. it remains only with a lot of pressure on the face in the right place. fortunately, the comfort kit was invented. in the future, there will be the comfort kit for the head sides or the comfort kit plus. everything that is attached to the hinges is not a convenient solution. like the hinges themselves are not. the vive “Deluxe audio strap” is also not good in pimax combination. it also hangs on the hinges and the headstrap is too far behind the joints that it does not pull the headset up, but leads to tipping. counterweight and even more padding, all this our head has to endure. if the hmd sits firmly on the head in two axes at (minimum) three points that are firmly connected, but not directly next to each other, then this is also comfortable. i’m looking forward to the next survey.

Edit:

there are better templates than copying the strap of htc.
helm3
the closure to the visor is magnetic.

One fits all.

2 Likes

There are mods to use Race simm friendly straps. @Ludiks did one using a quest strap that is very friendly for Sims and those whom want to use there own Audio.

2 Likes

Definitely thicker, as thick as possible. But multiple options will always be great.

2 Likes

I had added a little foam at the temples for my KDMAS originally, but I later brought in my Studioform Creative top strap and found a much more stable fit and removed the padding. How much padding is needed will surely vary from user to user so we have a “one size doesn’t fit all” situation. It would seem logical for each to pad to their own specific needs. Adding a little foam where needed isn’t a biggie but i do feel the top strap makes a much better fit than without.ymmv

1 Like

Indeed with my Poorman headstrap the top strap added stability and made it easier to fit headset each time after.

Studioform’s Comfort strap makes a big difference to vive das abd pimax mas.

1 Like

Thicker would mean (even) more pressure on the sleeves. Not good, definitely voting for leaving it as it is. Replacement options of course wouldn’t hurt.

Late to the party but for me, Thicker side so there is support which would aid in centered fitting and comfort releaving pressure on the forehead pad. At present I can float an index finger horizontal width between the pad and my face easily. That’s from a XXXL hand.

Maybe have some horizontal cuts / ports to still allow some ventilation but the current foam is not great. For different head sizes, maybe allow the sides to be separate pads from the front face pad so alternate thicknesses can be used for a customised fit.

1 Like

I have cut some PU leather covered foam (VRCover’s thick replacement for the DAS to be exact) to replace the current thin side pieces and it’s improved stability and comfort immensely. +1 for thicker side foam (hopefully PU leather so it’s not a sweat sponge)!

3 Likes