Pimax Crystal Super

Hi,

Now that the the Pimax Crystal Lite is in series production and hopefully selling like hotcakes, what is the status of the proposed Pimax Crystal Super? The Super was introduced together with the Lite originally, but then all has gone quiet.
Is Pimax still working on the Crystal Super with the enhanced panels?

3 Likes

From my understanding it’s under development, the Crystal Light was very interesting to test today :+1:

3 Likes

Am I to understand correctly that it’s basically a requirement to have controllers in order to do any setups with the Crystal Light? Even if you’re just going to use it sitting at your desk?

1 Like

No you don’t need vr controller.

If I’m using my Crystal with Xbox controller I just start my PC and launch Pimax Play/steamVR from desktop using keyboard/mouse. Can then launch an application from Steam library.

Yes, indeed! We’re also working on the Super. Expect more updates on the development progress soon!

4 Likes

Hi there!

I really hope that you will stick to the announcement and bring the Crystal Super to 130° hFOV and not below !

2 Likes

That indeed is even more important than the bump to the higher resolution. Actually I would even say the higher resolution would not necessarily be needed if there was no higher FoV because the PPD of the Crystal Light is pretty fine already - it just shouldn‘t be lower on the Super due to an increase of the FoV hence the bump in resolution is welcome.

3 Likes

The 35ppd and local dimming on my Crystal are just :kissing_heart:

earlier in VR Chat (Raindance immersive festival)

1 Like

anyone know what is in the Crystal Super bundle ?

Which bundle are you referring to? The Crystal Super has merely been announced, there isn‘t much further visibility on the progress of the development. For the moment it appears as if Pimax are focused on the Crystal Light, with and w/o dimming option.

If you are talking about the two optical modules of the Super, well, the bundle of both of them would then include the two modules, obviously.

Perhaps you can clarify your question a bit?

Interesting news on the Super in the latest Pimax video - the form factor has been reduced by 30%!

That‘s a great decision, well done.

So they are starting to abandon a number of synergy elements of the earlier design concept of the Reality series, which all were laid down to accommodate the 12K‘s needs. Or they have also decided to go a different route with the 12K which allows for smaller displays and lenses, but that seems less likely. It could mean they gave up on the 12K, but I consider it more likely that they would not easily do so but are focusing on the other headsets and the 12K development is just in very slow mode (which of course can have the same end result as an outright abandoning - my condolences to those who spent money relying on the trade-in promise on a headset they wouldn‘t have seriously considered otherwise).

But for the Super it’s great news. So let‘s see when they will launch the Super, and then again when the Super will become available, which could be a year apart… :wink:

3 Likes

Yes well done Pimax. But let’s not forget how Crystal was overly or unnecessarily large leavng large portions of internal space unused.

I guess having swappable cartridges means Pimax take away the risk factor if one idea fails.

1 Like