Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I could be mistaken, but I don’t believe that has anything to do with Pimax the company we know. Pimax is still a private company so there wouldn’t be any public tracker of stock price afaik.

But @Axacuatl is talking specifically about how they perceive MRTV in general, not in this particular instance. It’s probably the most common opinion I see about MRTV tbh.

I think this type of defensiveness is understandable but it’s an awkward look for public facing employees and does more harm than good. I don’t know if I’d be doing any better in your position, so not trying to lecture or such but as someone that does have a lot of passion and fondness for Pimax, it does make me a bit uncomfortable to see reactions like this. I’m just one person though and maybe that view is in the minority.

7 Likes

With the stock might need to look deeper. But a fellow on reddit was mentioning the stock price being around what the google turned up.

Though it is possible there is more than 1 pimax company out there

Agreed but I think at times some ppl are looking to read between the lines. Pimax communication is definitely there strongest continuing weakness… Unfortunately the efforts to improved are rarely kept when working well. And of course the common complaint of counting there chickens before they hatch.

ie Crystal FoV, Original Wireless Module, DMAS Quality vs Index. Missing Sword Controller & Controller features etc…

To truly fix this they need to organize the info better and deliver on things presented like the Sword Stick and thr Capsense. Which it seems they have capsense working on Crystal controllers in some form. Pimax is responsible for there public perceptions. I feel for the public facing reps not having the availability of authorized quality info releases.

Too many needless compromises to out right abandonment. Even the Old 8kX had not had needed firmware updates to fix what they broke in later releases.

3 Likes

@PimaxUSA Seb is a really nice guy, and I was at his office some two years ago for a comparison of different headsets with two other blokes (where I actually pointed out that I believed he had not dialed in the 8KX properly, which is why it performed poorer in the comparison than it ought to have - you can find the video on Youtube, but it’s in German), and again a couple of months ago when Pimax held their Crystal road show at his office. To give an example, for the Crystal prototypes we tried Seb and I discussed and agreed that there was some issue with the convergence/IPD/dioptre, whatever the cause was.

So I have absolutely no issue with Seb, and I know that he is very knowledgeable.

However, he has a widely known tendency to rave about new headsets in his maiden reviews or first impressions videos as if they are almost perfect, and definitely the greatest product VR has ever seen. Only to often crawl back yard by yard in subsequent videos. He got some backlash in Germany when he did the same with e.g. HP Reverb G2 (which I quite like and actually currently use). It was & is good; just not as good, almost godlike, as he made it sound at first.

It’s cool to be very enthusiastic, but as potential customers we are looking for cool-headed advice which will stand in 6 weeks and 6 months from now, so we do not invest in expensive gear based on excessive expectations. Hence we, the potential customers in this forum, exchange our views on what to make from reviews and impressions we read or see.

By the way, in this very forum I also advised to be cautious about the new Bigscreen headset and await reviews when it is truly out in the wild in numbers and not pre-order right away.

It’s generally preferable to keep a cool head as it allows for better assessments. And, may I add, also for better predictions of likely time-lines and promises kept…

11 Likes

Don’t tease

2 Likes

What is this new wide FOV lens? I am very much interested in hearing more about this.

1 Like

A drop in battery adapter would be an amazing idea particularly for longevity sake. I really worried about using A fast charger, because that’s gonna put a lot of strain on the battery, pack, long-term, and cause it to wear faster.

1 Like

They are all over the place on the render target but it’s around 10% improvement in both directions from what I’ve seen. The new 6mm gasket gives around an additional 10% in the total percentage of your vision or so.

6 Likes

I think there are some YouTubers who jump on the ‘Hate Pimax’ bandwagon without ever having used one of their headsets. Some others ,like Sebastian, likely never got the 8KX tuned in properly. To be fair, the 8KX is not as plug and play as is the G2. I recall Seb posting a video on finally getting the settings right for his 8KX with help from one of more expert Pimax users. He revised his opinion accordingly, which I greatly respected. There are far too many people in the world who are not able to let go of an incorrect opinion even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I’m thinking of VrOasis here. I’m hoping that Bradley is better than that. But in every forum you read pissy repetitive crap about Pimax by ‘experts’ who’ve never actually used one. Hate makes better click bait I guess.

8 Likes

@PimaxUSA It doesn’t seem like the FOV is going to be that big an issue for most users. I’m withholding judgment… but I’m addicted to the Wide mode on my 8KX!
I’m likely going to hold out for the 12K, but life is short so I may wind up keeping my beta test crystal as well. I’m hoping to see my Portal arrive soon!

3 Likes

Okay but I am asking the FoV specs on the new wFoV lenses for the Crystal… Not the Render res Targets.

The 35ppd lenses are 103°vFoV × 103°hFoV

What is the vFoV and hFoV of the new lenses(Render target as well)

How much bigger is the hFoV vs the 35ppd lenses and maybe the ppd value as well.

I apologize if my query was not clear.

4 Likes

So is the below information erroneous?

Does this need to be updated? New FoV version of lenses?

1 Like

It needs to be updated with the actual FOV of the lenses already there first.

Erroneous is being generous at this stage. From all results so far, the 35PPD lenses are 103 horizontal.

3 Likes

who measured that ? I know only VoodooDE coverage with sligtly different numbers.

1 Like

Everyone that has given numbers so far (Voodoo, MRTV, Chinese testers) have come to those same numbers. Most importantly, we have gotten people to check the rendered FOV using Risa2000’s tool which is an objective measurement of the maximum.

I believe if the numbers weren’t true then Pimax would have directly stated such.

2 Likes

VoodooDE gave VFov - 108 , HFov 102 which is fine verticaly but I need more horizontaly.
To buy this headset I need 8KX small fov at least to enjoy playing my simulators.

1 Like

afaik VoodooDE is using a bugged version of the fov testing software he uses (TestHMD iirc) that reads 10 degrees too much. that’s what i’ve read anyway.

3 Likes

So the above is just some marketing BS then.
Gone are the days I guess where we can get truthful and honest information from companies.
Of course, the average consumer is in part to blame for this for not caring, with the “shut up and take my money now”… mentality… :poop: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

His number vertically is actually 98deg. He used a bugged version of TestHMD that adds 10deg to all results, hence his other results like the Quest 2 have a vertical FOV that’s not possible.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it does seem to be the case. I think they will claim some very unique FOV measurement method but really they should just advertise it as is as most people would be more than happy. 103 is a good FOV compared to most headsets, so claiming higher just makes a good thing seem bad.

Nearly all over companies in this space also seem to exaggerate their FOV but usually it’s more like a rounding up of 103 to 105 or 107 to 110, so it’s not ideal but can be basically ignored.

103 to 125 is not an exaggeration (being polite here) that can be ignored.

That all said, maybe there is more to it than we are aware of but so far Pimax have been silent on these numbers and the only post was a vague one talking about focal distance affecting FOV which would in no way account for the objective testing numbers, nor a discrepency of such a magnitude.

2 Likes

Gotta give it to Pimax: they need to learn PR and communication. I am 100% confident that the engineer’s wants the best. But probably because of Chinese culture (saving face) they suck at communication. I am laughing out loud at the comments in the video.

This article on the need for a battery to power the XR2 chip is IMO a good example of communication: https://pimax.com/crystal-xr2/

I am looking forward to the Crystal: they give people a choice. If Pimax improves on quality, execution and communication: the Crystal can be an amazing headset

7 Likes