Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 2)

I am confused, I did not manage to catch the gasket comparison in the vid, but they definitely seem to be different. I believe though that they said that the new cushion would be 8 mm thick compared to the original 6mm one. So maybe something was lost in the translation.

Canting if it translates into moving the lens closer to the eye may help.

1 Like

I was confused with that too. I think that was a mistake by Pimax but I’m just guessing. The new frame looks slimmer too. I would defo say theres 4mm difference between them.

The new lenses do look offset so maybe more canting as well.

I found this video from just two months ago where it states Crystal comes with 2 pads 13mm and 11mm. lol

1 Like

If the original pad is 13mm and the new one is reduced to 6mm, thats a 13mm lens distance or 125 FoV.

Neither supplied pad is thick enough on the facial interface compared to the p2 models.

Most ppl seem to be using Vp2 15mm face gasket iirc or the Air conditioning foam mentioned in one of the updates.

3 Likes

It is not surprising that the best picture award goes to the Crystal in this comparison. And if I didn’t own any headset so far (or just an o.G. Rift/Vive), it might be a different consideration for me.

But most of the potential buyers are currently on an Index, G2, or comparable, and dishing out another 1.5-2 grand for the upgrade in visuals (while they know their current headset won’t get them back much in return when being sold off), that is the part where there is no convincing business case for me. For this part of the VR population the (much) cheaper version of a Crystal PCVR only would make sense.
But we of course do not know ho much the displays alone cost, and that already might be contributing to a four digit price, even if you’d get rid off the XR2, eye-tracking, motorized IPD etc…

And then the enormous form factor remains, for a more or less average FoV headset. So all in all I think it’s better to wait for either the 12K (when-ever that will be in a fully functional shape) or for a competitor headset with some smarter design choices not dictated by a super-wide FoV sibling…

6 Likes

New Crystal software release already.

I’ve updated mine, and the eye tracking is working flawlessly.

Now I have to test the improve controller tracking :slight_smile:

5 Likes

First try in the MSFS 2020 with the Eye Tracking enabled.

Used PimaxXR and OpenXR (Foveated performance).

In the same conditions, I got more than 20% of improvement. From 27-33fps to 36-40fps, and all with no image quality degradation perceived.

I’m very pleased with this new FW :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is that an increase compared to the previous iteration of ET or an increase from no DFR to now with DFR?

2 Likes

It’s an increase from no DFR to DFR.

I’m not a beta tester, so this is the first time I’ve could tried it.

2 Likes

I’m in the beta.

The IPD motors now works as expected. AutoIPD and Eye tracking works just fine.

AIO is working too. As soon i get back from work i will test them extensively.

It was a relief when the update finished and the IPD motors started working correctly ! Phew !

Well done Pimax !

As an update to my review, the Score is now 4.5/5 ! Superb !

IPD update 3

6 Likes

hehehe I can imagine the feeling. Luckily they got it working! This surely increases the value of the Crystal. Stil, like @Axacuatl pointed out, because of the average FoV I’m still going to skip it. I just don’t want to go back to such small FoV, whatever the picture quality is. I need the 12k!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Motors? Plural? Is this to say the lenses adjust individually, and account for asymmetric IPD? Kudos, if so!

Even if the Wider FoV Lenses pan out? :wink:

On ab interesting note if pimax uses forward thinking it might be possible fir 3rdparties or diyers play around with installing different lense sets with distortion profile custom files…

But… probably too much to hope for. :upside_down_face:

I’d probably still go for the VR1, expecting better lenses in that headset and of course lighter/smaller form factor. We’ll have to see though.

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

They could make a hybrid face place that incorporates minimal lights with depth n two pass through cameras. I truly hope as this would make pimax gain a plethora of new clients .

Pumax should shift their narrative to customize yourown headset and upgrade your faceplate.

1 Like