Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 2)

Have you tried connecting the cable directly to the HMD instead to the little extender?

Some users reported problems in the 120Hz mode with the extender.

I keep it in the 90Hz, because is already very fluid for me.

1 Like

tried that just but no luck. still flashing.

well restarted pc again and suddenly it works now without flashing . :slight_smile: thanks

1 Like

Yep. Best action you can get is remove from first day, as i did and no problems at all

Nope, at the time it wasn‘t being offered to be demoed.

I referred to the recent reports which didn‘t reflect a reliable functioning for all users. It might be working for some users, but in my books that is still a broken feature if not the vast majority of users of average capabilities can get it to work reliably. Great stuff if they‘re working on fixing it, but I am talking about the product as it exist today, not what might be - or not - one fine day.

Hence why I consider ET a component they could better remove for a PC VR only version, alongside of course the motorized IPD. Just get rid off the unnecessary stuff blowing up the price.

I am sorry, but the quality of Pimax products & QA doesn‘t match the standards of four digit headsets. Keep it simple, keep it non-expensive, focus on what Pimax actually can do: taking good displays and hopefully not ruining them with the rest they add.

5 Likes

Fair opinion at this time.

This Topic you might find of interest.

3 Likes

I find it absolutely incredible that Pimax is still advertising an hFOV of 125 degrees as well as a dual mode option, actively advertising the ability for both WiFi Streaming as well as 60Ghz wireless tether.

I was pretty sure they would change this once the initial sh1tstorm happened or at least before bringing the Crystal to market in regions that have functional consumer protection laws.

As it stands, their retailers in the EU such as Alternate, Galaxus and UnboundXR are now also engaging in this false advertising and Verbraucherzentrale are now informed and approaching those retailers legally.

Can anyone think of why Pimax would consider this a prudent strategy?

5 Likes

The only possible reason I can think of is the future wide FOV lenses. So Pimax could say Crystal has the possibility to go to 125.

Here’s the funny thing about the wide FOV lenses. They might actually sell better than the Crystal as modders will buy them and make their own HMD.

Lenses from Pimax
DAS from HTC
Tracking from HTC puck
3D printed eye boxes
Raspberry pi HMDI board
LCD displays

2024 we might even see a purchasable kit.

1 Like
3 Likes

At this point pimax are just scammers. If you knowingly after all this time still keep up this extreme exaggeration of the fov you are just criminals that need legal punishment

3 Likes

The only way to make the FOV wider with lenses is either putting them closer to the eye, or making them physically wider. Has Pimax revealed which approach they take on their design?

The only info released is this video.

1 Like

Apparently, Pimax plans to provide bigger FOV by designing thicker lenses. An option, I did not consider, since I have no idea, how this may work. So I am pretty curious :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

What about maybe Canting the lenses themselves a bit? + a combination of other things.

I am curious though if it will end up having similiar issues the VP2 has as both have 1:1 square panels.

Looking at the video it seems Pimax are reducing the face gasket to 6mm and creating lenses with more bulge on the inside and less on the outside so your eyes are 2mm into the eye box.

If you go by 20mm distance and 50mm wide lens you get 103 degrees.
If you reduce the distance by 2mm to 18mm you then get 108.5 degrees.
If you reduce the distance by 4mm to 16mm you then get 115 degree.

So my guess is its a combination of gasket and lens distance.

Butttttt, will Pimax run into the same eye strain problems MRTV discovered when the lenses were not the correct distance?

Or are Pimax just using the posibilty of wide Fov Lenses in a vain attemmpt to reduce the impact of the VR-1s 128 degree dual eliment lenses???

I am confused, I did not manage to catch the gasket comparison in the vid, but they definitely seem to be different. I believe though that they said that the new cushion would be 8 mm thick compared to the original 6mm one. So maybe something was lost in the translation.

Canting if it translates into moving the lens closer to the eye may help.

1 Like

I was confused with that too. I think that was a mistake by Pimax but I’m just guessing. The new frame looks slimmer too. I would defo say theres 4mm difference between them.

The new lenses do look offset so maybe more canting as well.

I found this video from just two months ago where it states Crystal comes with 2 pads 13mm and 11mm. lol

1 Like