Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I fear it comes down to taking the specs sheet and learning from reviewers of the commercially available version

1. what it does well,
  2. what it performs to some degree but not entirely satisfactory and
  3. what it doesn’t do at all (although it was specified to perform it).

Then hold this list next to your own list of what you demand/expect from a headset priced at 2K+, and see if there is enough of a match to warrant spending the money.

In principle business as usual when making a decision on a purchase: you don’t take the company marketing material at face value, you wait for the reviews from trusted sources to see if the product provides value for money in line with your preferences. The only difference is that with hard specs like wireless or stand-alone capabilities you would never expect a company to release the product with these not functioning at all - but still you would be well advised to check reviews for the actual performance before really hitting the order button. So at the end not so different.

6 Likes

The Index is so low resolution how much DSC does it actually use? The Index is £459 headet with fresnel lenses.

When you’re in 2023 spending £1800 on a headset that’s compressing the image it’s like buying an expensive 4k TV to watch Blurays.

Buuuuttt, if eye tracking and FR work well Pimax might be able to squeeze maximum res out of it.

See how it goes I suppose.

I’m looking forward to @SmallBaguette reports coming up.

1 Like

I don’t see the value in any VR HMD over £1500 when the technology moves on so fast and you can get wireless in a £370 HMD that does the job fine.

It’s going to be mighty interesting to find out the price of the wide FOV lenses when they come out. £50? £100? £200 a pair? Any guesses?

2 Likes

Blurays are the best quality you can get though? What would you suggest otherwise?

Also it’s lossless compression so the image isn’t affected.

@SmallBaguette I don’t expect you to have an AMD GPU 6000-7000 series, nor do I expect you to go out and get one for your testing.

But being an owner of one of these GPUs myself, I’m very VERY keen to see some real-world testing and verification about what works, doesn’t work, and if anything works, how well it works.

You know, because PIMAX is not being transparent about that AT ALL.
They only released one video several months ago showing they were testing some of the AMD GPUs, but I haven’t been able to find any reliable details about their progress, pros/cons, limitations etc.

So I really value someone who has one of these GPUs from AMD to put their own results out there, because we’re not getting it from PIMAX.

The only easy thing people can say is:
ASSUME IT WON’T WORK
-or-
IF IT DOES WORK, ASSUME IT WON’T WORK WELL AT ALL.

Of course there is the luxury goods argument (Porsche vs. Vauxhall). But that doesn’t really fit, b/c a Pimax headset usually - mildly put - isn’t above average in build quality or service; and definitely doesn’t give you any kind of higher brand recognition in the wider VR community either, unfortunately.

It’s rather an early access premium you pay to get that kind of package of specs earlier, and sometimes (wide FoV) even to get it at all.

So yes, if you are patient, there is no reason at all to consider the Crystal, as it presents a bundle you actually have to expect to be met in 1-2 years by another headset at 1/3 of the price, which likely will offer a better QA & support too. And no wide FoV to maintain its niche.

I myself spent that kind of money the Crystal will cost on a motion rig instead of e.g. the Varjo Aero, which is giving me a smile everytime I do some laps in it. While using my trusty old Reverb G2.

But then again, there are people who clearly have no issue in dishing out another 2 grand to get this in 2023 rather than a year or two later, no matter what they wish to spend on other gadgets. And they’ll dish out another 2 grand or more in 2024, and again in 2025, to get the next best early access headset. Simply because money is not an issue.

If that was the case with me (and I didn’t hesitate on the “promise” of more hassle using a Pimax headset either), I would surely do the same. I mean, why not.

This value for money thing is only for peasants like us…

Why do people buy UHDs? Why not compress the 4k image to 1080 and pay less for the Bluray? Is it because native 4k looks better than 1080p?

I thought a lot of Youtubers were raving about the 4090 because it needs less compression when Streaming???

You said key word UploadVR; so unless they buy one keep waiting. It has nothing to do with the product state but the publication. No one is waiting for UploadVR. Lol

2 Likes

If not misken DP 1.2 standard does not support DSC. which is in part why the 10series only had a partial update to DP 1.3/1.4 features.

He likely means regular Blurays and not the 4k Blurays. But yeah a dumb statement. lol

1 Like

So the 8kX is out of Beta? All Pimax have to do is send them one and they’ll review it???

Why would they send one to UploadVR? Use your head please.

8kX itself was out of Beta long ago don’t confuse things like the purely experimental 120hz FW(2006) with the official 2003 FW.

Yours is a dumb statement because UHDs don’t play on Bluray players. It’s a whole different format from compression, HDR to resolution. It’s like saying PS5 and PS4 are the same because they’re both Play Station.

No your entire rant is empty as usual. The players are what play media with the displays showing content. Obviously an old Bluray player is not going to play 4k Blurayswhile a 4k Bluray player will have backwards support.

But not surprising as you often look to try and create drama with your posts like a Tabloid rag.

I nevet said 4k Blurays were the same as regular blurays. Anyone knows there is a difference next you will be talking about HDVDs and DVDs.

Well here is something to look at.

This shows really how much pf a bargain the Crystal is vs the Aero which is a much more expensive hmd with less features.

1 Like

Did you see those FPS? Crystal 45 v Aero 55 that’s like 20%. Ouch.

Apart from that they looked pretty similar.

1 Like

is 10fos with considerably less features worth almost another $800 to $1000?

A bit of driver optimization and am sure thet will be closer to the same fps.

Just look at the optimization on the 5k+ and such vs initial release.

When the large FoV lenses appear I’d expect even worse performance due to the barrel distortion correction needed.

and frametime in the Red while the Varjo is yellow 52 and 55 sec.
I find the start misleading, showing the crystal in a straight angle and the Varjo not. It’s about time we see real comparisons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well we know that any of these TTL pics and videos are never done professionally.

A robot head with Camera Eyes would be best for proper repeatable results.

And yes there is such a robot head for testing hmds.

For home made a mannequin /styrofoam head could be modified easy enough to have a camera eye.

This instructable jist looks like fun and could likely be used a base to modify.

1 Like