Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

We don’t really know, do we. But I wouldn’t think it’s fair to say that Tobii alone are causing the Crystal to not be feature complete by now, as there are other features presumably completely independent from Tobii which are MIA, e.g. stand-alone functionality, wireless (WiGig & Wifi6e) & the optional MR face plate.

Perhaps some of the suppliers are not done with tehir efforts yet, but it appears as if Pimax themselves are not done with their development & integration efforts of the full system either.

And I surely wouldn’t put the blame for Pimax’ communication strategy on their suppliers. In any project you have to factor in setbacks and some of the announcements of Pimax, e.g. the end of September announcement of what we could only assume being regular shipments starting in China as early as two weeks after the announcement, are difficult to understand if a supplier’s component is not fully functional yet as it would seem extremely optimistic to assume you will have everything sorted out and be shipping within two weeks to come.

4 Likes

From review (translated by google) 小派水晶vr头盔简单测试 - 哔哩哔哩

*5. About fov – basically reach the level of mainstream vr helmets

It is impossible to compare with 8kx, but after I use the ultra-thin sponge, I feel that it is about the same size as the index and pro2. The horizontal direction is not as large as the pro2, but the vertical is larger than the pro2. Although the vertical is not as large as the index, but the horizontal direction is larger than the index,[ it is worth noting What’s more, I didn’t experience any discomfort when using an ultra-thin sponge (about 0.6cm thick ) for the aspheric lens, but before pro2, g2, pro1, 8kx, etc., I felt more or less uncomfortable, or after using the ultra-thin sponge, the glare increase, either the edge produces distortion, or the focus causes discomfort , etc., which may be related to the fact that the latter helmets are all Fresnel lenses"

5 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR!

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Did they actually measure it? I guess hard numbers don’t matter as much as experience though, I felt similar when I tried it. I would say it felt like index width and slightly taller, I think the aspheric lenses help with that feeling a lot.

2 Likes

Unboxing first look video posted 2 days ago subtitles available.

1 Like

I honestly dont know. I have the same info as you. It is not mentioned in his written review. He is comparing a beta version of the Crystal hands-on to other headsets in his own office/studio environment.

Crystals FoV is such a hot topic right now (also for me), I thought it would be interesting to share.

If further independent reviews would have similar conclusions, I would not be dissapointed.

1 Like

So… we have how many reports from non-NDA bound customers so far? 2-3?

How many headsets were going to be shipped in the first wave? 200? What was the time frame for it? Until end of February?

1 Like

It was by the end of January lol. I’ve eventually learned my lesson, as many had shouted before, to just completely ignore dates. When payment is taken and a tracking number is provided, that’s when I will take it seriously.

6 Likes

The vid link I posted is from Pimax vr channel.

2 Likes

Agreed all dates should be seen as best estimated dates instead of chiseled in Stome tablets. :vulcan_salute::smirk::+1:

2 Likes

Not true. Only the 15 Chinese testers have received theirs. No idea why Pimax would say that, I’m guessing it was a mistake but a pretty egregious one.

5 Likes

Have they even taken your money yet?

1 Like

TLDR: Where’s Tobii?

Anyone else think it’s weird that Tobii hasn’t been mentioned at all by the 15 testers? I feel like that’s the Crystal’s secret weapon - I mean, clarity/color/contrast/resolution is well-demonstrated, and the FOV has been a big concern - but don’t they need Tobii for the Dynamic Distortion Profiles? Not to mention Tobii transport, Tobii foveated rendering?

Anyway, I hope Tobii isn’t the hold up for all this.

This is entirely speculation, but perhaps Tobii has been focused on the PSVR2 so much that they dragged Pimax behind? I mean, I got the impression that they wanted to show Tobii at CES, but Tobii said they weren’t ready for prime time… Also they have said that the trouble with the 12K was the ET over the wider FOV!

Anyway I wish both Pimax and Tobii success, but as much as Pimax has been guarded regarding some things it seems to me that Tobii has been a real no-show.

Either they are failing or about to surprise us all. Hopefully we will see soon!

1 Like

No, not yet although I do appreciate them waiting until they are ready to ship before doing so.

1 Like

It’s because ET still isn’t enabled yet. You already knew that, just stating it out loud for anyone that might not. Afaik the ET hardware placement was revised just a few months ago, I could be wrong but I thought I heard that, so I’m guessing it would need to be reworked on Tobii’s end, and yeah with PSVR2 landing at a similar time it’s probably slowing things down.

3 Likes

I’m pretty confident in Tobii. It would be nice to have eye tracking working while the beta is still going on. If the Chinese testers got theirs a week back, we should have ours within the next fortnight. Hopefully with the updated lenses etc.

2 Likes

HI :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

You are receveid your Crystal Pimax /Beta test ??
And if yes your fiesta feedback ??:innocent::innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

I haven’t received it yet, seems like it might be shipped soon so hopefully I’ll have it by the end of this month. I’ll be sure to give plenty of feedback!

4 Likes

For those who may have not have found/watched it yet.

Nov 2, 2022: “Join the Pimax Crystal Launch Event tonight and get ready for the Pimax Reality Series! In this event, we will show you the production model of Pimax Crystal along with all sorts of technical details. We will also share some updated news regarding the 12K QLED development progress, as well as recent updates of the Pimax store.”

Maybe worth a re-watch.

3 Likes