Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I do in fact like the borg ^^ But not "meta ;))

Yeah, Check out Low-Fi again it got a few updates :wink:

1 Like

Awesome thanks been awhile since have checked it out.

1 Like

Hi Heliosurge, thanks for quoting me.

After almost 5 years since I suggested it, Pimax has finally decided to put in several interchangeable aspherical lenses to achieve different degrees of FOV and sharpness.

I quote some gems from the past (2018):

“1. Supply two types of interchangeable lenses, one with a large horizontal FOV of 170 (the current lenses) and the other with a horizontal FOV of 140 (the lenses I have explained above, with a sharp visible area of 75-80% of each screen and a peripheral FOV of 20-25%). These lenses would have adapters/holders of various heights, because the 170 lenses need to be closer to the screen and the 140 lenses need to be further away, due to their different magnifications and focal lengths (the 140 FOV lenses need 50% less magnification).”

“5. In addition, Pimax is committed to developing better lenses during the first and second year with different interchangeable horizontal FOVs (170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120) and selling them at prices between $25 and $50 with shipping included for the users themselves to change them. Each lens can be specialized. For example, 120 FOV lenses would be specialized and ideal for watching movies (for example, they would be aespherical instead of fresnel to avoid God’s rays). The system for attaching to the headset and changing the lenses/holders must be easy, fast and resistant, without tools. The transparent film prevents dust from entering the screen area.”

“Actually, all the merits are Heliosurge’s because he was the one who proposed to create new improved lenses and that we backers pay a little money for them, in private tester forum. At first I resisted the idea, because it would cost 6,000 backers, but then I understood that it was the best option.”

But now I think they should have used pancake lenses instead of aspherical lenses now. The Quest Pro pancake lenses are exceptional (the Pico 4 lenses are good but not as good).

The advantages of pancake lenses over aspherical lenses are many but the main ones are that pancake lenses have a much larger sweet spot and that pacake lenses allow for much more compact headsets because lenses can be much closer to the screens.

Unfortunately Pimax are late again.

Cheers,
Neo

4 Likes

By “sweet spot” do you mean an eye box, or “an angular range in focus”?

1 Like

The current disadvantage of the pancake lenses is light transmission. At a guess it might nullify the hdr. I will see if I can find the Article. While it would not in this configuration reduce size they could still offer pancakes later on.

Here is @mmorselli 's topic inquiring on pimax’s statement on why not pancake reason.

Plus pimax in this hmd were not concerned with making a smaller hmd as there using this frame in the 12k. So a lot of dead space in the Crystal.

1 Like

The actual credit would go to @VRGIMP27 whom proposed interchangeable lenses for FoV and had presented an hmd that had something like that. With 1 set being designed for cinema viewing long before the m1 and iirc may have been pre Kickstarter.

I reintroduced the idea in the test group as your evaluation of the current lenses limitations and experiments that also involved the p4k lenses had a lot of merit. However I understood pimax’s reaction of not wanting to scrap the current lenses after already spending over 250k in lens iterations as it would add considerable more time and expense.

So a swappable upgrade path made perfect sense as they could release the product and later offer a modular lens upgrade. This would also have benefit multi user vr center environments whom could simply stock extra lenses reducing to even eliminating downtime.

I suspect the p4k lenses minimally have been used to base the new Crystal lenses as they were quite advanced and your tests confirmed in a different configuration could yield a much larger FoV than was possible on the p4k and much easier to build an edge to edge clarity.

If my hypothesis is correct it demonstrates a smart move by pimax.

2 Likes

@drowhunter has posted his eval so far.

Did someone launch a rival forum?

Both.

The eye box is the largest I have seen with my own eyes with the Pico 4 pancake lenses and even larger with the Quest Pro pancake lenses.

The angular range in focus of the Quest Pro is close to 100% in both scopes because of the shape factor of the panels and the magnification of the lenses.

This is very different to the Pimax 8KX where the angular range in focus does not reach the entire lens due to the elongated form factor of the panels. For that reason they cover large areas with black masks.

In my opinion, with Crystal, Pimax returns to the path of reasonableness, with squarer form factor screens and without the need to apply black masks, and I consider that to be a good thing.

To paraphrase Jodie Foster in the movie Contact, so much wasted space on the Pimax 8K, 5K, 8K+, 5K+ and 8KX.

Here’s my latest test between lenses (in Cervantes Spanish):

Cheers,
Neo

2 Likes

No not a rival. Just something new for all with more ease of use.

Your welcome to join; just keep in mind were there to discuss XR product experiences, features and services and not financial speculations/profiles. Low drama.

A key advantage of building a forum from the ground up vs patching and rebranding an existing forum. Is a cleaner easier to use environment. Similar to a game built for vr vs one patched.

Just in theory as it is supposed to be here.

On xrtropolis.one we might add a couple of free-for-all, rant, off topic tags in Lounge that folks can mute. But that will be discussed with the community. As this forum will be built with community feedback to be a community built with community for community.

3 Likes

Very nice write up. If not mistaken though the liirc also suffers not being native for pc. Unless your using the older pico model option with the dp connection.

Both hmds would be interesting if also used high quality aspherical lenses. As Sont, GearVR, pimax Varjo and of course Xtal whom use WFoV lenses have all shown the value of quality aspherical lenses can do.

It is ashame Sony released the psvr2 with fresnel? this time around.

Do you own the XR Forum?

1 Like

Indeed I do. I have 100% full control. So no expiry on the site cert, I should know when to scale up the mail server etc…

The main thing is this will be a fully neutral space for XR & Handheld discussions.

But discussions about hardware, software features and manufacturer services. Not speculations on company’s financials.

While it is unfortunate when any company folds if it should happen. There are almost always community groups that will find ways to support products long after it is eof.

ie Nouveau(sp?) is an opensource Nvidia that still supports many old gpu cards.

3 Likes

Well belated congratulations. When did it open? I did wonder why you kept pumping links there. Haha.

4 Likes

Well started configuring things late January to this end. It has been around for a long time setup by a fellow member here initially to try things out in a test environment. We were sharing costs.

As his priorities changed he offered and transfered the vps to me.

As for officially opened? It has not fully officially opened as somethings are still being worked out in the layout.

But is ready enough for ppl to join, participate and provide feedback to further shape things to come.

2 Likes

I joined, but why no talk on financials? We have at least 3 years before Pimax needs another bailout.

1 Like

Yes no need to discuss any companies’ projected financial woes. If truth be known even Meta is experiencing heavy losses that they have been laying off game devs.

However they are not alone.

We need to more focus on products and experiences related like Warranties, after sales.

Bumped your user level and sent you an online chat dm.

Pimax and other companies can worry about there businesses and hope for the best with there decisions good &/or bad.

We just meed to enjoy and focus on products and experiences they promote good & bad.

Already said that above lol.

Chat notifications is in the message bubble top bar.

2 Likes

Just read on another forum a person who pre-ordered the Crystal early on day 1 has had a payment notification and it’ll ship in 10 days.

1 Like

So today is the day May 4th Pimax announce shipping to pre orders.

2 Likes