Pimax Crystal QLED VR Headset Revealed - Everything You Need to Know! [NextGenVR]

Procedure might change but the initial lens comes preinstalled and preconfigured at the factory. Then when you install a different set you also set it in the Pimax app. Avoid doing the swap in a sawmill. But seriously the exposure when changing is only a few seconds and the lens itself has a dust repellant coating.

7 Likes

clearly thats why i sad “IF” this launches as advertised

1 Like

Just want to say this is very cool. Everything you’ve said up until the Crystal announcement is truly fullfilled and worth the wait. The Crystal has great specs. And this thing is truly feature-rich! Tell the Pimax team we are drooling for this and the 12K! I may get both!

2 Likes

Changing lenses won’t be a problem if you’re worried about dust etc, my old DK2 had swapable lenses and I did swap them out with no problems.

2 Likes

Yeah, but with the resolution of the DK2 it wouldn‘t have been as noticeable. But yeah, it is roughly comparable to DSLR camera lens exchanges, whcih you do frequently and have to pay attention to avoid dust creeping in too. You have a piece of cloth to swipe them (and in case of the headset, additionally the holding area) before you insert them. And perhaps hold the headset upside down when inserting the lens so dust doesn‘t settle into the holding area - this is how many do it with their camera‘s because you want to avoid that dust settles on the sensor (and as that is too sensitive you wouldn‘t want to wipe it off with any piece of cloth).

6 Likes

I’m actually more excited for the Crystal than the 12k at the moment. I know that my current PC can drive the resolution as I can maintain 90hz on the 8KX in my chosen application.

One area I didn’t see mentioned was whether we have options in term of frequency with the Crystal, I saw 160hz mentioned but will there be optional slower frequencies that can be selected, 90, 110, 144 etc.

Thanks
Fred

4 Likes

Can you swap a low FOV lenses to a wide FOV or any size? Also, Pimax mentioned they allow 3rd parties to release their lenses…are there any 3rd party working on NEW lenses?

3 Likes

i mean you proly could lower the fov on the 12k to the same as crystal,and increase it when you get a new gpu.

3 Likes

but 12k won’t do 42ppd i don’t think?

2 Likes

yeah dont think so,happy birthday btw!

1 Like

Thanks man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since the crystal has XR2 inside, I was thinking again about my ideal software feature for the device in standalone mode.

Provided the electronics could work together this way, it would be the coolest software feature ever to be able to use a displayport to HDMI 2.1 cable to plug the HMD into any HDMI capable device, like say a blu ray player for playing disks or video games directly without streaming quality loss, without re encoding, just put a disc in and play it in a VR theater environment.

Watching a physical 3D blu ray in a VR theater rendered via the XR2 would make this thing an amazing home theater device.

I once hooked my Gear VR up to my 5.1 audio setup and watched a movie, and it was like having my own movie theater without taking up the space. Just a thought @SweViver @PimaxUSA

2 Likes

This will be a quite interessting Autumn - again :wink: . Playing lots of DCS and ACC, AM2 I often dial down the FOV so that I can get near those 90hz on the 8k. Really makes me wonder if the Crysal good be the better pick over the 12k for e.g. picking up the details in a DCS fight or the instruments over the large FOV on the 12k. Also Rendering all the goodnes on the 12k will be interesting. My 3090 more or less manages the 8kX - often the game engine beeing a bit outdated performance-technology wise (DCS’s know, like the vulcan stuff, and so on DLSS).
Cant wait to see through the lense shoots again :slight_smile:
Oh is there more info on the panels used? Like backlight zones or such?

Liked that one :

Edit: Oh and now its time to send a crystal and 12k to RSI so that they start VR :wink:

4 Likes

+1

charschars chars

2 Likes

Agreed it will be very interesting, but at the same time I’m horrified by seeing that they use the same hinges still, those make the MAS wobble like crazy, and paying such a premium again for a HMD that is not up to par on the headstrap will be a no go for me.

4 Likes

Imagine they will have the side pads thicker and or multiple ones included.

Hoping they improve the ratcheting mechanism durability/function and add a quick release

3 Likes

is that plastic on top of the strap?or maybe leather,im thinking plastic wont be comfy

1 Like

That is my main worry here - they are now asking for price ranges which simply demand a certain level of product quality.

Perhaps there has been more going on behind the screens with the additional investments they secured and they turned around the company big style. But my gut feeling tells me that they at the core they won‘t change and that would lead me to expect devices which show serious potential on the one hand but frustrating shortcomings & sloppiness on the other.

That will be magnified even more with the complexity of the new devices - and the price point.

I wish Pimax good luck, because I would be happy to buy one of the devices if they could get really performing, polished products done. But it would have to perform pretty flawlessly for that money - I just don‘t see that happening, unfortunately.

We‘ll see.

8 Likes

Neither will the Crystal without changing the damn lenses to the High PPD version, I can’t stress enough that the Crystal still has only 2800 pixels. If you use the 42 PPD lenses you MUST get lower FOV.

1 Like

42 PPD sounds nice. I used to change the vertical scan on our CRT monitors to have a higher dot pitch. That was great! I achieved a higher PPD there too, My screen was the size of a iphone, and my dad thought I was losing my mind…Clarity is not synonymous with PPD is all I’m saying. Pixels matter, GPUs matter. The rest is just a spec. If there was a pyramid built for clarity: The GPU would be the foundation, the CPU would be the material, and the HMD the middle portion and possibly the apex. Changing the lenses just doesn’t make a better viewing experience.
Taken to the extreme you could have a 2800 PPD HMD with a FOV of one degree. Anyone want that crap?

2 Likes