Pimax Crystal QLED VR Headset Revealed - Everything You Need to Know! [NextGenVR]

During the Pimax Crystal Launch event, Pimax has announced a brand new VR headset as part of their reality series called the Pimax Crystal QLED. In this video I will provide you guys a summary of everything you need to know and all of the great features this headset has!

10 Likes

So how does swapping lenses change the pixel density of the display? :crazy_face:

(It’s late and my brain isn’t grasping it)

Value wise existing 8KX owners are better off sticking with the 12K because its a better headset at $1000 off it ends up cheaper.

6 Likes

In current Pimax headsets, if you lower the FOV, it just shuts off part of the panel, you lose pixels.

By lowering the FOV via different lenses, you make everything smaller but it uses the whole panel, and software fixes the scale, just like every other headset has its scale set.

8 Likes

So what about the wireless (one of the few advantages it would have over the Aero) ? No price even being mentioned yet ? So to me that means it’s still just a pipe-dream, which may or may not work out at the end.

It frankly looks like an Aero competitor, offering a slightly wider FoV (but not wide enough to make it a home run, not hitting the real sweet spot of 140 horizontal; and interchangeable lenses, could be interesting but not there yet - remember, we are still wait for wireless for the 8K series…. all announced yet never materialized); okay, and a better audio solution, and… that‘s about it, isn‘t it.

Priced rather comparably to the Aero, but going by my experience of Pimax with a substantially lesser build quality and QA, leading me to expect a number of flaws which diminish the value proposition considerably. You can hit the specs and still miss the target, if you know what I mean.

As to the optics - let‘s see how it performs when trusted reviewers lay their hands on it (why not send it to Tested & Ben Lang?) - is it really as clear and visually sound as, say the Aero ?

Sorry but with this kind of gargantuan price tag it needs to really really be top notch. And I haven‘t had any product of Pimax at home yet which I would consider to be even just in proximity of that kind of quality level. And I‘ve had the 5K+, 8K, 8K+, and a couple of modules (don‘t get me started on the eye-tracking module)…

In my view Pimax should have aimed at a much lower price point - then you may get away with the „patented“ Pimax QA and the shortcomings in their products.

Will possibly revisit once respectable reviewers have given their opinions on the production version. Until then it‘s just marketing talk to me.

EDIT: hadn’t picked up that it has the XR2 chip. Definitely adds to the value - if want that to be a stand-alone headset too. I don’t, as I will rather use a Cambria with the rich Quest software. So in that sense it only adds weight & cost. But perhaps it contributes with the shared computing pipeline. This remains to be seen.

4 Likes

Doesn’t the 8KX lower in visual quality when you use the large FOV instead of normal? (i noticed text and menus become blurrier.)

The different lenses change the magnification of the display. So you’re trading away FOV to get more PPD.

They announced 60GHz wireless and a price of $1899 and being released in Q3 2022 in the materials that you are replying to.

I’m baffled by all the responses I’ve seen making claims about Pimax and the product they just announced without apparently bothering to actually watch or read any of the materials.

By better audio solution, you mean it has an audio solution. Which is indeed better than the no built-in audio that the Aero is equipped with.

No, it does not. Or at least it should not. I have seen cases where games make poor decisions about what to do with texture sizes and scaling when presented with the wide FOV and high resolution of the 8KX. But that sort of thing is a fault in the game, not the 8KX.

2 Likes

2880 pixels by 2880 pixels
Forget the fov bologna. Doesnt changes the fact that theres only 2880 pixels to see in each direction.

Its an Aero in Pimax clothing with speakers and wireless, yes?

As a result it probably weighs twice what the Aero does?

“Dry that one out we can fertilize the lawn.”

1 Like

I re-watched NextGen’s video for that part - okay, he is mentioning a built-in Wifi 6 but the 60GHz surely would be the WiGig module: to be purchased separately.

I am baffled by the … nevermind. :wink:

And yes, the built-in Wifi may work fine, but so far (as experienced in the Quest) it isn’t really there yet - nice for some games, but not same quality as tethered. So I would go tethered or WiGig.

On the Audio a solution is better than no solution because I indeed don’t enjoy having to add some kind of make shift audio solution, and certainly wouldn’t want to end up having to put on extra headphones each and every time. That’s a real sore point on the Aero for me, why I didn’t even consider buying it.

3 Likes

I found the issue. When i changed to Large FOV my steam settings render resolution automatically reduced. I fixed it and now I got large fov + amazing quality which is awesome

2 Likes

I suspect that the pimax 12k can swap the lenses and get 42 ppd?

42 ppd is interesting, but I think no much people will buy both crystal and 12k at the same time.
@PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

2 Likes

I reviewed NextGen’s video again as well, and you’re right. He says the Crystal will have WiFi 6E, but in fact Pimax’s presentation does not say that. Pimax’s presentation says only that the Crystal will have 60GHz WiGig with no mention of 6E.

I think this may be an error in NextGen’s video. Specifically, I think this came from the MRTV interview about the 12K, and he misremembered that as applying to the Crystal release.

1 Like

By that logic, the Aero and the 8KX are the same, too.

1 Like

Let’s not forget that the Pimax also has controllers.

I for one have been pining for quest style controllers for SteamVR for a while. If the inside out tracking works well I might consider ditching the lighthouses

Can anyone confirm that the light house faceplate is optional for all Reality Series models?

3 Likes

SteamVR will do that since it suddenly goes, “oh you can’t handle all of those pixels, so I’m going to lower the total rendering resolution for you.”

3 Likes

If you recall there was a personal theater iirc that had lense swapping to increase FoV. @VRGIMP27 I think may have posted this when he suggested the very thing Pimax has presented.

So the lens change much like Canting can compress or expand the FoV to a degree(likely by in part canting the lenses themselves).

Vrgimp27 original topic Sept 2017.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/stretch-goal-idea-for-kickstarter-swap-able-lenses-for-different-fov/2805?u=heliosurge

2 Likes

They canceled the Wireless Module after hyping it as working and might show at previous CES a few years ago.

Now that being said if they actually did develop & release the proposed AiO module mentioned during the KS there could still be Wireless capability. Which would in part just need to make a variation of the Reality Series XR2 external module.

Well there was said to be Demos coming so hopefully these are Live Demos vs Presentations. Can’t send something they don’t have ready for that level of review atm we haven’t even seen a KS V2 prototype or better demonstrated.

Until the demos materialize we don’t even have something like LG Ultragear that never released as originally planned.

2 Likes

You have a fairly large increase in rendering using Large FoV to have 160 wide(only adds 10 degrees per side). Many use Normal as the extra FoV is not really needed.

The other Factor of course is the gsme/program handles Wide FoV.

2 Likes

Yes it is an optional module with price reductions for having Sword Controllers.

1 Like

Since the 12k has higher resolution panels, the lenses would probably give more than 42 pixels per degree of FOV.

1 Like

So this headset will play Quest games ?