Pimax Crystal latest unboxing video

Don’t know why no one from Pimax posted this video. It’s good to know exactly what you gonna get from the retail box.
From the video above I saw a few interesting points already:

1. The quick connect DP box made it to the final product. From other posts I thought Pimax reverted to the original cable.
  2. The front silver chevron sticker has a thin plastic cover! Wow, kinda over-protection, isn’t?
  3. It comes with 35PPD and 42PPD lenses. Hope they will add the wide-pov lens as an optional choice. Most people here want 35PPD and wide-pov combo.
  4. The DMAS earphones are quite intriguing. The black cover is made of metal, and I can almost feel the weight of it.
  5. The power and connection hub is something new to show this time. Personally I don’t think I will even need a hub: I will just connect the USB power head to the provided power adapter directly. Why bother with a hub? Or perhaps the hub is used for charging the controllers?
  6. The mini-hdmi hole should be covered by something. You cannot just leave the hole there accumulating dust or worse: water.
  7. Interesting to know that there is a hidden switch to switch from PC mode to Standalone mode. I was always wondering how Crystal did this.
  8. The upward opening vents are also not a good idea. Water and dust can easily go in and make a mess, especially when we are going to use it in mobile mode. I hope there are some kind of covering for this.
  9. The removable facial foam seems to have a better look than the previous cheap one.
  10. I spotted a small hole on the right lower corner of the headset. It looks like a earphone plug! (Hooray!) We do need to use earphones from time to time. No one needs to know we are playing games or watching movies when in standalone mode.

Overall I am pretty satisfy with this unbox video. The day it finally gets released is coming quick. I am quite anxious for that.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely good to see even if it took 5 years to produce as it was requested back during the first KS campaign and was even mentioned prior to ks launch.

Did they up the 42ppd lenses to 45?

2 Likes

IN THE BOX

I’ll have another look, but I don’t recall them clearly showing/indicating that TWO sets of lenses would be included.
I know that Marketing stuff stated that in the past, but nothing on their site clearly states it now.

Their site NOW just says:
Crystal Headset = 1 Set = Crystal with 35PPD VR Headset

No mention of other lenses ‘In The Box’.

So I take it that even Nordic Ren himself may pop out of the box upon opening, randomly for some users! :tada: :person_bald:

About DMAS, their website says purchase BEFORE June, but didn’t they say that you have up until July 1st?

2 Likes

The video says the dmas will be shipped to orders made before 1600 hours on July 1, 2023. I’m not sure whether that’s timezone variable, or based solely on Pimax’s timezone.
The video clearly shows lenses installed in the HMD as well as the lenses unpacked earlier. You are correct that the second set of lenses is not mentioned on the web site spec sheet anymore. However, I suspect that is either an error, OR Pimax has not yet decided which pair of lenses to supply in addition to the 35ppd. I HOPE it’s the 35ppd and the wider FOV lenses rather than the 42ppd version.
Of course, I suppose it is possible they’d stop the video to put a single set of lens in the headset, and then stop the recording again to remove them for the final overview, but that seems a bit absurd. Pimax has made it clear that the Crystal will come with two sets of lenses.

3 Likes

Yeah, you are right. 42 it is. :pi_thumbsup:

1 Like

Dude. The girl personally opened the lenses covers twice in the video.
The change on the website probably due to their last minute change of lenses set. They should have known it by now far more people favor the 35PPD and Wide-POV combo.

Pretty sure that everyone here who’s interested pre-ordered it already. It won’t matter the deadline be June or July.

1 Like

I really hope this is the case. :smiley:

1 Like

Dude. I only saw ONE box of lenses(pair) being opened. The other lenses were on the headset itself.
Sure, we can all just assume that those are the second pair already installed.
And even though nothing is clearly mentioned about if we get two pair of lenses or not in the IN TO BOX section on the website, we can simply assume we’ll get them, along with assuming the FoV specs are correct as well:

IN THE BOX:

LENS SPECS:

Yes, in all likelihood there ARE two lenses included. Which are they? Dunno. Could be the NEW rumored higher degree of FoV ones, or it could be the two listed under specs (Even though AFAIK as of now no-one has been able to independently corroborate 100% the measurements).

As for the DMAS:

The above coincides with what Nordic said that if you pre-order before JUNE you’ll sure to get the DMAS.
But then the video yesterday from PIMAX (Unboxing) mentioned we’d get it if we paid for the unit before July 1.
So I am led to believe that just pre-ordering before JUNE isn’t enough to guarantee that you’ll get the DMAS. But also you’ll need to have paid IN FULL the amount of the Crystal before July 1st in order to get the DMAS.
So, that basically means that they will not hold the DMAS for you just because you pre-ordered:
1.) You pre-ordered before JUNE
2.) You pay in full for the unit by JULY 1st.
Then you’ll get them… I guess.

So I’m ASSUMING that’s what they mean above.

I suspect you think I’m being hard on them unfairly, and perhaps you think I’m being unreasonable.
Frankly I don’t see it that way. I simply clearly wish to know what the heck I’m going to get for the money and there are things yet not ‘Crystal’ clear {pun intended}, and I’m left to make some assumptions still. i.e. I assumed previously (took them at their word about two batteries), and then they backtracked and said one battery in a video, then they re-confirmed it was two batteries later. so…

Mixed messages, unclear marketing and communication is predominantly causing my position.

Can’t wait for it to come out though!

1 Like

I see almost zero facts on which to base a judgement on which particular selection of lenses most users would likely prefer to come with the headset as default.

If the FOV increase, from the 35ppd lens to the new lens option, were to turn out to be vanishingly tiny, and to boot come with worse sharpness/distortions/etc, then maybe it wouldn’t be as good an option, as its specs on paper first made it sound.

1 Like

Agreed it needs clarifying. However if only 1 set of lenses it would be pointless not to just have them pre installed due to dust.

1 Like

Yeah, now I see your point, but I think this is really a trust issue. From the video I can clearly see there are 1 sets in the box, and 1 set pre-installed in the Crystal. Doing it the other way doesn’t make sense, and I don’t think Pimax would have gone through so much length, done so much deception, just to save one set of lenses.

1 Like

Yeah. And you’re certainly not the first to mention issues of ‘trust’ when it comes to PIMAX. :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

What they should do is let us choose 2 of the 3 lens options they have, assuming the wide FOV lens is a real option. I’m concerned with the ambiguity about whether there will be one or two sets of lenses in the box, clearly they are creating this confusion. If they were to decide to only put one set in the box, I would be out… that would be one deception too many for me.

1 Like

so, they fixed the “in the box” image to include the 42 PPD lenses.

3 Likes

That’s kewl, but I think it would be just as well to show the 35PPD there too.

But again, if they’re indeed working on a better FoV lens set, I’d like to see that as an option to choose the lenses you want included at purchase.
Some people may be like meh, I’ll take the extra FoV for my use-case over some other set of lenses.

1 Like

They’ll make a bundle selling the third option… but at least give us a choice of which 2 to include in the box.

1 Like

I can see people swapping between 2 sets of lenses, but not 3… so the Wide FoV lens will either fail or render the regular 35PPD obsolete. They know what they are doing in terms of maximizing profit. They’ll make the Wide FoV an additional purchase.

1 Like

Don’t forget that custom prescription lenses for short/far sighted people will be available too. I’m about 20-25, but I think I’ll order prescription lenses in the wider fov if that lens turns out ok.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the new wider fov lenses that have been revealed might not be ready once the Crystal initially releases as it might still be early days before these are ready for consumer purchase.

1 Like