Pimax (Aukey) 4K vs Pimax 8K "UltraWings" (through the lens)

Yes, the image in Reverb is probably amazing :star_struck: It is a pity that he was released with flaws.

In this case, 8K X should be very good with a native 4K RGB by eye.
@SweViver should already be testing, probably.

Since FOV is of great importance for me, in any case, I am waiting for 8K X.

2 Likes

No upscaling & considerably mor2 horizontal res.

4320 bs 3840

3 Likes

It is. In fact resolution and SDE always have been my prime priorities but with the Reverb I felt for the first time that it was about ā€˜good enoughā€™. I mean with previous HMDā€™s I always wanted more resolution and less SDE and didnā€™t care too much about other factors like FoV. But when this resolution becomes standard I think itā€™s time to invest more in the other factors first before upgrading to even higher resolutions.

Either way unfortunately I couldnā€™t really use the Reverb because my IPD was too big. Really looking forward to the release of the Acer Ojo ConceptD but Iā€™m starting to doubt that this is even going to happen ā€¦

7 Likes

The only issue I see is that when you raise field of view you end up losing the detail you gained by using high-resolution panels proportionally.

I really think companies are going to have to start using novel approaches to Optics to really get us the best of both worlds given limits of modern display technology and GPUs.

For example Nvidia is coming out with their 2080 super which at best is going to be 5 to 10% faster then the current 2080, while the $1,200 card is still only 30% faster then the previous top dog the 1080 TI.

I want to see VR succeed, and I would love high resolution and high field of view, but I feel like Tech and cost are getting in the way.

3 Likes

Me too. Iā€™m not going to buy another HMD, until itā€™s at least as good as the (rumored) 8K-X.

I would even prefer it to max out at ā€œNormalā€ FOV and show as much of the panels as possible (so that the dpi is even better than the 8K).

2 Likes

pretty sure the camera he used to get the pictures is $60 not the 4k.

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Wide-Angle-Dashboard-Recording-Additional/dp/B078XBDNCJ

1 Like

FOV cant be worse than the Rift S . I get measured 90 degrees on that.

Yes, the interesting name of the cameraā€¦
Apparently, they are namesakes :grin:

1 Like

The Aukey 4k is listed 9n ebay for approx $92 ca + $18 shipping.

Oh lol just noticed what you mean. Odd Resolution 2880Ɨ2160p lol

whats so special about telefrag? A VR game with gamepad support? am I missing something?

1 Like

It is on his wishlist. Multiplayer with motion controller & gamepad support.

1 Like

So would this basically be the peak VR headset for Adult VR (both vids and games), plus regular videos and such?
Only maybe equaled by reverb (but for like 6x the cost)

Yes, it is the same Pimax 4K.
It is good for video, for simulators.
But because of its shortcomings, it is not well adapted for active games, where it is necessary to turn your head around.
And also he does not have his own tracking and controllers.

This headset with shortcomings, but with the highest resolution panels. Better only HP Reverb.

But HP Reverb is a complete VR kit with its own tracking and controllers.
Therefore, in any case, it will be preferable for a full immersion in VR.

A Pimax 4K can only be viewed as a VR probe, a way to look there, to feel the clarity of the image. But not as a complete headset.

Although some plug in the Nolo VR and still play :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Okay had a chance to play Telefrag.

Not bad but you need to play with Setting a bit. By default it uses Motion sickness compensations like Narrowing FoV & snap turning.

Otherwise itā€™s a standard Arena type shooter like OpenArena & like games.

Had to set SteamVR per ap to 80% & in Game Pixel density to max 1.5. Looks good.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. For how cheap this headset is it could be good for dedicated Video use, and keep my 8K for games.

Does this pimax/Aukey 4K at least have the same level of headtracking as an 8K being used without Vive base stations?
So just basic looking around that is good enough for VR video?

2 Likes

Same tracking. 3dof as per with the 8k & phone VR.

2 Likes

Sweet, thats good enough for video and such. I think i will give it a try
Thanks for the quick reply.

2 Likes

Your welcome. I have a p4k as well. Cheif complaint some have/was brightness level & ghosting. But for Video definitely a decent headset especially for the price.

3 Likes

@Century Do you have an RTX GPU by chance? If you do, I just realized something. The latest version of Custom Resolution Utility from ToastyX has data blocks for HDMI 2.0, TV resolutions, (IE resolutions that enable Chroma subsampling, etc.) and I realized that we could probably use this latest version of the CRU utility to trick the GPU into thinking that the 4K is attached via HDMI 2.0 instead of HDMI1.4 and enable a 4K60hz signal with 4:2:2 Chroma subsampling, or make the GPU use its color compression tech.

What I was thinking was setting a custom resolution of 3200x1800 4:2:2 if we cant enable the RTX color compression technology. For Pimax to ignore the possibility of getting higher resolution on their gen1 HMD is just wasteful in my opinion.

@Heliosurge do you have RTX yet, or still your 1080 TI AMP?

2 Likes

No, I decided to skip this series.
I do not see much point in moving from 1080ti.
Just waiting for the next generation :sunglasses:

3 Likes