Pimax ARTISAN Discussion (Entry Level Headset)

Soooooo? Not sure what to make of this, new model? Just popped up on facebook and the pimax main website.

Should we guess the price? What’s going on here?

12 Likes

Do you have a link of where that’s located?

2 Likes

Sure:

1 Like

Gonna go with 849 on price.

My gut says it might actually be as low as 449,-

4 Likes

Maybe we should ask the Deer, he seems impressed;
Deer, is it 140 horizontally or diagonally?

5 Likes

Wonder if the lenses have been changed or has the FOV been reduced to meet 140 FOV/120hz.

1 Like

One more, that’s all that was missing. It looks like an entry model with that Ikea lamp next to it.
Maybe they sell the hmd with 140 fov and super discounted but disassembled by pieces with an allen key for you to mount it.

1 Like

I think this might be a good idea - an entry level Pimax headset. Hope the ease of use and compatibility is there.

Wondering how is the FOV measured.
Is it two panels? 2 x 1600*1440? OLED?

???

Price? I go by the same number as @Pimel : 449$

3 Likes

It looks like two panels 1600x1440, but I would doubt the OLEDs (at 120 Hz?). Besides that 1600 / 2560 = 0.625 which is close to 0.66 which corresponds to panel utilization on P5k+ at Normal FOV (140°). Given Pimax track record with their FOV claims, I would expect the real (rendered FOV) could be 120-130° which would basically match the current optics (if the panels were comparable in size).

2 Likes

I’m more excited about this than the 8k-X

3 Likes

Well if they put 4k panels in this thing, then the resolution (well the PPD) is going to be MUCH better than the 8k-X. Sure, you’ll have less FoV, but I for one would love to trade that for higher res + less distortion (and again, it’s much easier to make those 140 FoV lenses distortion free)

3 Likes

I doubt they are putting in new lenses here. I doubt anything is really new except for the panels again, and some distortion profile settings

4 Likes

Hmm I’d be highly disappointed in that case. Relatively to the current wide FoV lenses, these 140 Fov lenses are much easier (and cheaper) to produce. If they just slam in the old lenses, oh man, that would be a lost opportunity …

1 Like

But at 140 degrees, the old lenses are basically distortion free at the edges.
The 8K+ and X I tried in Amsterdam were said to have better distortion profiles too and indeed I really noticed a very nice stable edge in my short demos

2 Likes

Is there any reason to choose this one on top of index?

Pimax always claim’s his fov diagonally, so it should be 140 diagonally, more similar to the small fov of the other headsets

if this is a rgb oled then by by 8kx…

If anyone asks me what’s going on here, well I don’t know. Or I know, but I’m not allowed to talk about it. Im not allowed to talk about this unit at all. Officially it doesn’t exist. This was supposed to be announced and demoed on CES, but obviously someone didn’t agree.

Im truly sorry, but this is beyond (or above) me.

26 Likes

So someone was NAUGHTY and won’t be getting any PRESENTS! :santa::x:

5 Likes