Pimax and Netflix

Netflix has an HD and an Ultra HD subscription. Can you see the difference on a Pimax headset ?

1 Like

probably not, remember that the headsets pixels is spread over your entire field of view while the movie is shown on only a subset of it. (unless you blow the picture up so much you can’t see all of it at once, then maybe…)

2 Likes

I see a difference between HD and 4K with YouTube on my samsung Odyssey+ don’t forget the compression algo. But the net result is less than 720p either way

1 Like

Lol yes! The difference will absolutely show.

Also, 4K compressed to 1080p is still better than native 1080p because it had more pixels to work with

3 Likes

How do you watch Netflix or Youtube in VR?

1 Like

In mixed reality you can use the apps, or you can watch them in a browser on a virtual desktop / Big Screen beta.

Anyways I just spend time shifting between 4k / 1080p YouTube and back again (for some reason Netflix wont show me 4k on my pc) And I’ll admit there is a small difference. Probably for the same reason 4k YouTube looks better on a 1080p monitor than 1080p YouTube. The signal is at a higher bit rate so you’ll get served better pictures. I would probably not be able to tell though if I didn’t know what is what.

edit: I should mention this is on my Odyssey+.

1 Like

Steamvr has a youtube ap

1 Like

Bigscreen for free or paid Virtual desktop,there is nothing like watching stranger days
on a big virtual monitor,or suspended above Mars with a floating screen or on top of a luxury apartment building veranda with the screen on the side of a Skyscaper !

Just be careful of your comps specs some of the Virtual scenes can be a bit demanding performance wise,the Bigscreens virtual campfire outside drive in movie screen in is a bugger for that.

1 Like

Watching 1080p vs 4K vs 8K video content does a massive difference I would say. Just jump into Bigscreen and load a 4K YouTube video, and compare it to 1080p.

3 Likes

Better use virtual desktop + edge browser for 4k streaming stuff…the youtubevr app is a mess in many ways.

2 Likes

Awesome tip as haven’t tried youtube ap. Thanks

1 Like

yes, the steamvr app drove me nuts…
I think that VD looks far better far video than BS and
Edge is seriously better for streaming 4k than Firefox.
I love Firefox for everyday browsing but it has lots of mini-issues for video.
Just to name one (apart from resolution issues) is the refresh rate… It is unable to detect the system’s default refresh rate. It’s always set at 60Hz, so ppl like me with 75Hz or others with 144Hz are screwed.
Some guys don’t even realize that, lol.
Yes, there is a about:config move to change that but it’s a hustle to set it back and forth, especially if you plan
to playback on a 90Hz HMD device or 80Hz.
Don’t know if chrome handles it well since I don’t use it. But for ppl with good eyes just check Firefox vs Edge and you will immediatly know what I mean.

So, although I’d prefer a working app for Youtubevr, Virtual Desktop (or vorpX) + Edge is the way to go for Youtubevr for now.
Unfortunately 21:9 owners have issues with any 21:9 streaming footage on any browser
(black bars left, right, top, bottom) therefore I need an extra “zoom” script (ctrl + won’t work)

1 Like

In my testing on other 1440p headsets yes it def does.

1 Like