Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

Left is X right? Dont get me wrong but the Index looks like it has a bigger sweetspot ?

Clock bench floor and companion cube look sharper to me?

1 Like

Sounds and looks great, thanks for the update @SweViver
Is the new cable as thin as the ones we use now?
Or is it thicker like the ones used on the Rift, Index…?

1 Like

The sharper photo is Pimax 8K X

It has also larger FOV and natural colors (see floor parquet)

Sweviver likes to swap photos :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

i do think the sharper photo is the index,and better colors…

You can see the field off view off the pimax is left and the index is right…
the first picture i love the index more

Heh no. 8KX has same sweet spot as other Pimax which is way beyond Index. Its just fast smartphone shots. I have too much to do, no time for real camera TTL shots today. Not easy to get close to the lens with a smartphone, thats why its further away and u see even the 8KX headset plastics beneath the lens.

The images are not swapped.

Colors are and will always be a pale on the Index. It looks like when setting contrast on -2 on Pimax. Dont let the camera fool you.

The comparison was just for details on distance and nothing else. But apparently people will always find something to nitpick.

Wither way, no matter good Index might be, its not even close to the clarity, sharpness and resolution of 8KX. Don’t kill me please :rofl:

14 Likes

you like the colors better on the 8kx then on the index?
I realy like the colors on my index,my 5k plus not much…

So the 8kx colors are better?

1 Like

Colors are pale on the Index. Pimax on default is similar but slightly warmer. But the real difference shows when u start to adjust the contrast and brightness, which Index can’t. (Well except backlight brightness).

5k+ colors are colder.

13 Likes

What about the black level vs index

1 Like

when i get my pimax8kx i can do a nice comparison.

I hope its better then the index,that would be amazing…
So now only still the deluxeaudio strap with the pimax8kx …
Cant wait!

3 Likes

As you probably know, Valve Index has very poor blacks, even if u lower the backlight. Having both on default, 8KX wins slightly. Turn contrast +2 and brightness -2 and its night and day.

Im not saying 8KX blacks are great, but Index is a bad comparison as its really a weak point of Index.

15 Likes

Thanks alot my friend

2 Likes

As I said, Im not a color freak and Im getting old :slight_smile: but I really cant complain on the 8KX nor 8K+ colors.

What does somehow improve overall contrast and colors on simply everything is the lack of SDE on 8KX/+.
Flying Aerofly FS2 on Index looks dull, and it makes me think the slight SDE is a part of the problem.

11 Likes

And regarding SDE on 8KX. Yes if you really really start to look for it, you might see some minimal pattern. Especially when looking at white text on dark background, pixels are not completely gone.

Maybe nothing surprising, but overall, its really hard to see any SDE, even in daylight/bright scenes. Most people wont see it at all even if they look for it. And I think 95% of all ppl on the EU roadshow didnt see any SDE.

11 Likes

Having Large FOV with Parallel Projection enabled, I see a slight (maybe more than slight) degradation in clarity and sharpness. I dont know if something is limiting the rendering (maybe SteamVR?).

Although, I know I have the MaxRecommendedResolution set to 8192, and indeed, Large FOV + PP kills the framerate completely even in SteamVR Home Beta, so that shouldn’t be the problem. The resolution in Large FOV and PP, SS 100% and Pitool 1 is 9084x3948 heh…

(Without that value “MaxRecommendedResolution” : 8192 added in the config, it looks terribly low res)

I guess 8192 is not enough. But I dont think SteamVr accepts higher?

4 Likes

9084 is indeed more than 8192. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure a higher ceiling is accepted - pretty sure NeilF (EDIT: neal_white_iii I mean… Getting me Nialls mixed up… You’re the Snowcrash guy, right? :wink: ) mentioned he went right for 16384. :7

3 Likes

Let me try it… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Where did you change it? I searched it with the new steam VR beta and I can’t find it. Someone said that with the new steam VR beta steamvr.vrsettings disappears and now there isn’t limit for the resolution. I don’t know if is it real.

3 Likes

Props for this @SweViver. In the past you could be a bit too optimistic about things, at least for my taste, but this way of reporting seems very honest and fair. Appreciate it! And thanks for the update.

8 Likes

Different location for me. Now its:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\openvr\steamvr.vrsettings

Oh BTW Im not using Beta :slight_smile: Stopped with beta long ago. Too much issues…

6 Likes

Aerofly FS2 on 8KX

i9900K & 2080Ti (no GPU overclocking except from factory OC)
Almost all on Ultra except trees and buildings. Using Vulcan render and 1.1 built in-ss.

Normal FOV & PP enabled of course. SteamVR SS 100%, PiTool RQ 1.0

Large FOV & PP enabled of course. SteamVR SS 100%, PiTool RQ 1.0

10 Likes