Pimax 8KX SMAS 90Hz capabilities?

Hello.

I’ve found out that there is a used:like new Pimax 8KX SMAS for a good price. I know that KDMAS does support 90Hz on AMD GPUs. How about the SMAS? Below is the link to the offer I’ve found.

1 Like

Actually you have to ask the seller, both are possible. SMAS, KDMAS, DMAS are actually just different speakers. Only that from the appearance of the 2nd generation it was decided to only use DMAS there.

But it will probably be a Gen.1.

1 Like

The seller is actually Pimax. I believe this is their outlet offer on Amazon since actual new Pimax 8kx is more expensive than this. Also this item had a price change twice in last 12 hours so I suppose some new outlet units were added. The question I have is what do you mean by gen 1? Are gen 1 not capable of running 90hz?

@PimaxQuorra sorry to tag you out of the blue but if you could provide any information on this offer and it’s revision I would be really glad to hear about it.

2 Likes

Gen1 up to 90Hz + AMD
Gen2 up to 120Hz - only Nvidia at time.

1 Like

That sounds promising. Considering high resolution of the headset 90 hz would be more perfectly fine. I see the difference between 90 and 120 (obviously I prefer 120) however for the fov and clarity I would get 90 is great. Really good news. Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

The 8kX SMAS is the older version of the 8kX 2073/2074 and 2075.

Any of these models can potentially do 90hz with RTX 2080(maybe lower cards in the Rtx) abd Amd 6000 gpus(6800 and 6900 have had reports working since first Alpha 90hz Firmware).

Though not all RTX owners have had success. Some have found the Fiber Optic cable helps. While iirc Gigabyte cards have had more reports of issues.

2 Likes

Hello,

The SMAS version is the older version which capable with 90Hz.

The firmware you might want to install is M298 or M299, this will allows you to run the headset in 90Hz.

Before you place any order, which GPU you’re currently using?

1 Like

Hello @PimaxQuorra Thank you very much for the answer. My GPU is XFX Merc 6950xt I’m using stable drivers version 22.5.1 as newer optional ones seem to introduce harsh stuttering in vr games for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.