Pimax 8KX Quick Start Guide

So my 8KX arrived yesterday. I unplug my 5K+ and plug the new headset in. I hear the windows sound that it’s recognized the unit, but no video on the headset. My 5K+ was like this when first plugged in and a system reboot usually fixed it so I do that. I’m back in PiTool and the headset is recognized, but still no video. I click to reboot the headset. Video :pray:t2:! I then go to put it on and click my Index controllers on. No controllers :confounded:. They worked perfectly fine with my 5K+. Having ran into this issue in the past, I remember to try reinstalling PiTool. I reinstall it and still no controllers. I finally figure out that I have to re-pair the controllers in PiTool, as for some reason the 8KX disconnected them. So I have video, tracking, and hands now. Last step I perform is running a script a guy here made that changes some SteamVR settings to improve the 8KX display. After running the script, I finally get to don this bad boy. I put it on and tbh, at first I wasn’t overly impressed. I thought back to January when I first tested the 8KX and remembered it looking far sharper and absolutely stunning. What I was seeing was just a slight improvement over my 5K+ and made me question the purchase for a minute. I try out some games and noticed it was rather wonky at times and somewhat nauseating. Thinking this can’t be right, I have a 2080ti running it, I start checking settings.

I check PiTool first and all the things I had on with my 5K+ are on. Looks good, so I install the latest nvidia drivers. Still wonky. Reinstall PiTool. Still wonky. I update the headset firmware, same thing. I finally decide to reinstall SteamVR. I put the headset on and WHAM! It looks incredible :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:! The sharpness I remembered was back! Huge difference!

Knowing I had messed with SteamVR made me wonder about that script I ran, so I check my SteamVR settings. Sure enough, they had changed since I had reinstalled SteamVR. I don’t know what exactly caused my issues, but I did see that while most of the other settings had changed, the maxRecommendedResolution was still set at 16384, and the gputargetrender was 1. I later increased this to 1.5 and it seemed to improve it even more.

My point of all of this is I’m a Pimax user. Have been since the Kickstarter with my 5K+. I’ve put a lot of hours and time into VR with my pimax. Luckily, I knew the steps to take to get my headset working, get the controllers working, update the firmware, reinstall PiTool, and adjust the SteamVR settings. Had I not known them, this would have absolutely been a terrible first experience with a Pimax. Not only that, but getting the SteamVR/Pitool settings right results in a massive visual improvement in sharpness and clarity. It’s that noticeable, but not out of the box. Had I not known of these tweaks, my initial experience wouldn’t be nearly as impressive as it could be.

I suggest that Pimax provides a quick startup guide for the 8KX. An easy to follow PDF that lists some initial steps to take to get your pimax working, some common issues and fixes, links to PiTool, firmware, and how to adjust SteamVR to get the best visuals. If they want people to have the best experience with their 8KX, they can’t assume newcomers will know these things when they receive their package with zero information inside it. All they’re going to do is come into the forums with a negative attitude because their $1300 headset isn’t working right. A quick start guide can help with this.

I know @SweViver is working on the Pimax Experience to help with this, but I still feel a quick start guide is needed to coincide with it.

10 Likes

@mirage335: Matthew, I am quoting from a thread with a particularly ignorant user, so I appreciate that your comment was aimed at that one bloke, but I think the issue I have been trying to highlight all along is very well demonstrated by @Razorub’s OP here: this isn’t a game of git gud or get out, or at least it shouldn’t be for Pimax, and actually I don’t think it would have been a terribly burdensome effort for Pimax to create such a first steps guide and it would have done wonders for a number of users with their 8KX. While Pimax can’t rewind the clock for those who have received their 8KX already, they can correct this for any new deliveries, and also put a big fat beginner’s guide tab on their homepage and this forum’s homepage to get the attention of any buyer who just happens to visit such site. Pimax may lose a substantial percentage of customers who actually made a purchase decision and come to regret it due to lack of clear, easy to access guidance.

7 Likes

Try a different DP. My 5k+ for some reason on my one pc doesn’t work on the DP I use the og 8k on. Which is quite odd. As my other pc is fine.

1 Like

Point taken.

In case anyone is wondering, I haven’t been twiddling my thumbs here. I have been overwhelmed trying to, not really succeeding, and about done with, put all my hardware design software towards making some rather urgently needed stuff (like current global crisis urgently needed). Like this machine isn’t even the tip of the iceberg, and (hopefully) I will soon be rehearsing the (very fast) physical assembly process in VR (speaking of, GravitySketch and MakeVR Pro are my top choices so far… interested in other good VR CAD/assembly recommendations)

(seriously there is way more behind that diagram than face value… for starters it is a combination of extremely extensive custom PCB layouts and wiring diagrams that combine RJ45, breadboards, Cat6A, XT60, wirewrap, flexible PCBs…)

Anyway, yes, I realize some kind of intermediate guide is needed. It needs to be a wiki anyone can edit, and it needs to include three kinds of pages.

• Main page. Just how to get the headset to the point of working with PimaxExperience, SteamVR, etc. Also how to physically fit the headset, optimize IPD, etc. Only the basics.
  • Other middleware. Oculus here. Maybe SteamVR in the future if it gets deprecated by something better.
  • Specific applications for novice users. How to get into Elite Dangerous.
  • Specific applications for expert users. Batch scripts to launch things like OVRDrop from things like VoiceAttack. Maybe a section at the bottom for third party tools like SimpleRadioStandalone and the external GPS/GoogleEarth plugin for DCS World.
7 Likes

Create in #Pimax-pitool:Pitool-Discuss tag pi-guide.

@Davebobman has a table of content wiki there.

Also check out free content directory as there are some vr cad programs mentioned and linked there.

I think at least a good rough draft is needed before just tossing up a few topics with no hiearchial organization and hoping for something concise enough to be readable by newbies.

What we need is not something so wordy as to attempt to explain things to someone who expects the headset to ‘just work’ like that guy from that other thread, but just explanatory enough that someone familiar with at least the SteamVR settings page doesn’t get so lost as to neglect getting a proper IPD setting dialed in precisely.

3 Likes

Exactly, nothing overly complicated. This needs to be easy to follow for all users.

2 Likes

Checkout Getting started Wiki also in pitool discussion and update it. Ir has a good badeline and also is in the table of content wiki.

Well marketing needs to stop saying it is plug n play so folks don’t expect ease of use.

1 Like

The current info in the forum is great, I just feel it needs to be condensed and simplified with a step-by-step proceedure, and all on one sheet. I’m a designer the past 20 years, it’s what I’d want to have packaged or downloadable for my users if I produced a headset.

Something like this:

3 Likes

Have you had a look in the getting started wiki? It is dated an needs to be updated considerably to reflect changes.

Will post a direct link for review 1 moment

1 Like

Please review.

That’s a little too simplified. Perhaps 8 times too many pictures there. When I see that many steps, even with all my experience, I start to immediately wonder … ‘what am I getting into here, do I really have time for this?’

Another problem with the documentation on this forum is some of it is out-of-date. Case in point perhaps, my own spreadsheets. Sure, there are forum topics that still accurately reflect how to use them, but with Pimax Experience coming out, there will be much easier ways to change these settings.

As for ‘plug and play’, I think it’s fair to say this is as much a translation issue as anything. The bare bones marketing literature is a separate problem from the need for a real user guide, and it may not even be worth solving beyond a simple link from the sales page to the user guide.

2 Likes

And once we have a simple, comprehensive guide - it needs to be placed at a very central, obvious spot no newbie checking in on the forum or Pimax support website can possibly miss.

It’s no good if they don’t find it.

2 Likes

That reference is just an example of the style. The number of steps of course would be different.

1 Like

That’s why I’d rather it be a PDF that could be printed and packaged with the units.

2 Likes

A PDF, yes indeed. Printed and packaged with the units? Placed in a very central, obvious spot? Not to worry, if the documentation really is sufficiently concise, that will happen on its own.

As far as I remember this is the expected behaviour as what You’re pairing is actually the headset and the controllers and since headset is new, pairing is needed even though You’ve use the controllers before (on a different headset).

I’m pretty sure they’re still paired (local config, so only if You didn’t wipe it) to the 5K+ too if You connect that again… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I have a plan to add a set of direct links to these type of topics.

But it requires users participating. The getting started faq/wiki for example is a template new snippets needs to be made with numbering that is there to add new details via number.

Marcin’s PE to large extend should make it much more user friendly at least for automating some of needed things like steamvr etc…

I don’t have an RTX card so cannot detail RTX features in the menus.

1 Like

In theory once these things are fletched out a pdf could easily be packaged in pitool install with direct link in pitool to open and or link in install.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.