Pimax 8KX (model 2075) doesn't work with 7900XTX

The 7000 series driver for VR is a Joke. Even for “compatible” headsets their performance is awful in a lot of games (at 6800XT level in some).

I have a 7900XTX for nearly a month (with UV+OC), and then I returned it and bought a 4070Ti… and their VR performance is better in all the games I test except in the MSFS 2020, where it gives a 20% less (the only game it seems to work fine for the 7900XTX).

So it seems that for VR Players, the only “real” option is Nvidia (at least if you want the better performance and avoid problems)

the following is not that relevant but i have desided to try to return my now 2 month old 7900xtx.
The shop wont take it back and refund me so i have now asked a consumer organistation for help so i can get a refund. The issue is that the driver for the graphics card have since december 2022 when the 7900xtx was released have written in all their driver updates that they are aware that VR does not work properbly with some vr games and vr applications and there are lower than expected performance.
Since this have been an isue even before i bought my card i belive i can ask for a refund acording to the law in my country since it was defective from day 1. Instead i will buy a 4080rtx or 4090rtx due to vr compatibility and performance with my pimax 8kx ( 2075 )
Basicly the product have been “defective” since day 1 and also there are many other driver related issues that still havent been fixed.
Honestly i am dissapointed by AMD the 7900xtx regarding VR. It was released in december and about 4 month later the issue have not been fixed yet and no update on when they asume they have fixed the vr issues. Pimax tell me to be patient… XFX told me to be patient… AMD wont really recognize they have a problem and just copy/paste the stuff from the driver update page where it say they are ware of vr related issues with some games and apps ect.
I dont want to wait anymore.

My advice avoid the 7900xtx for VR get the 4080rtx instead for pimax products.
( other vr headsets also do not work correctly with the 7900xtx yet )

Also i am shocked to find out that not all 8kx are compatible with amd graphics cards.
8k x kdmas is compatible with AMD cards ( i have this one 2075 version )
And that the 8k x dmas is not compatible with AMD graphics cards for vr.
Its seem stupid that the newest 8kx version is only compatible with nvidia… I think amd and pimax should make this allot more clear to their comsumers than they do today since people buy hardware that might not function and waste their hard earned money.
( i have this info from amd support who made me aware of the product specifications… )

The incompatibility with AMD Cards affects to other headset as well, like the Varjo or MeganeX. And it’s due a bad implementation of the DSC with the AMD Cards (at least in the 6000 series and older), so if the HMD needs the DSC, it won’t work.

A part from this issue, the 7000 driver for VR is completly broken. In some games the 7900XTX give the same FPS as the 6800XT, and in other the improvement is not so much noticeable (except in the MSFS 2020, where it have a 40% improvement).

So if your main use is VR, Nvidia is the real only option (even a 4070Ti have a better performance in the majority of VR games than the 7900XTX).

i managed to get a refund on my 7900xtx despite having it for about 3 months. bought a 4080 and wow it runs better

Compatibility issues are the way of life with Pimax; this is not an AMD issue. In this case, it seems Pimax has a convenient excuse so they’re not even bothering to try correcting the issue. I’ve switched to another headset and have experienced zero issues since.

This is a a Pimax issue, and from what I can see it’s one that’s defined their entire product life cycles: They make something absolutely amazing, totally cutting edge, and get it maybe 90% the level of polish and compatibility of the market norm. Which sounds like a reasonable compromise, so you buy and it seems great … Until you realize they’re already moved on to the next big thing, your product gets no real post launch support, and compatibility PLUMMETS.

Honestly, that’s not entirely a bad product life cycle, if you’re honest and open about it. You can talk all day about knowing what you’re buying, but Pimax themselves choose to market their product as a fully retail ready plug and play VR headset. And in that space, they stand at the bottom of the market in compatibility, user experience, and post-launch support.

It’s really great hardware, so it’s sad to nope out – But it would be worse to continue to pretend this product is something it isn’t.

I’ve reviewed this product on that basis wherever it’s available to be reviewed. @Pimax, I’m still willing to update my reviews (to clarify: I would not be willing to remove anything, but would add a note at the beginning indicating the issue was corrected) if you fix this before someone gives me a good offer for this thing. It’s functionally a paperweight to me, so I’ll be getting rid of it pretty soon.

@fanboys: yeah, it’s totally my fault, I know. Have a nice life.

This issue is probably 50/50, because the incompatibility with AMD cards is not only a Pimax case. Other brands which make HighRes HMDs are incompaible with it (Varjo, Shiftall, Arpara…), so there have to be something on the AMD side.

In addition, the VR drivers of the 7000 series are rubbish (in performance), so I don’t recommend any AMD 7000 card if you’ll mainly use VR games.

Many in this thread keep using the word “incompatibility” in two different ways. One - the inability for two things to work together - actually relates to the definition of the word, and to Pimax. The other - two things working together in a marginally less than optimal way - describes how non-Pimax headsets work with the 7900xtx. Fact is, that is not the normal definition of the word. It’s being used that way in this thread, but it’s just not accurate.

Anybody wants a cheap one it’ll be on ebay in a week or two probably. I mean, honestly - this is how sour my perception of this company is - It’s in near-new condition and I’m going to need to sell, but I feel ethically obliged to include my negative reviews in the listing. I’d rather take the loss that’ll inevitably bring than let some buyer proceed with misconceptions about the product.

1 Like

Nope … nearly any headset that relies on DSC, is almost useless on a 7xxx.
This is not the fault of the HMD manufacturers, it is up to AMD to send the appropriate data.

Keep telling yourself that while I’m enjoying games on my index rolleyes

Your Index is Gen1 and uses a fraction of the resolution of Gen2 rolleys

Btw, the Index with 144Hz will also not run smooth on the 7xxx

Ya’ll wanna channel the Iriaqi minister of truth some more, feel free. Other headset works, pimax doesnt, so all the BS claims that it’s a universal problem are nonsense. You can justify that all you want, idgaf, all I want to do is cut my losses, get rid of this paperweight, and enjoy hardware that actually works.

No other high resolution headsets work though. Arpara, Vive Pro 2, Varjo Aero etc, all are nVidia only for this reason.

Really? Ministry of Information speaks again, cuz it took about 20 seconds googling that claim to find vive pro 2 had a fix out to make their software compatible 3 months ago:
https://forum.htc.com/topic/14450-vive-pro-2-with-radeon-rx-7900-xt/page/2/
And here’s a positive review of the combo:
" I also tested the RX 7900 XTX with a Vive Pro 2 VR headset running at a resolution of 4896 x 2448 set at 120Hz. All my go-to VR software worked impeccably well with no frame drops or jitters. The recently updated underwater experience, theBlu , felt like I was standing on the ocean floor with fish swimming all around me.
I was also keen to see how the Radeon RX 7900 XTX coped with Microsoft Flight Simulator’s VR mode… Giving me the real sensation of actually sitting in the cockpit, I was able to fly a helicopter around New York without a hitch, NYC being one of the most processor-intensive areas in the game. Similarly, flying a F/A 18 over North Wales, racing through the infamous Mach Loop faster than the speed of sound, the game was breathtakingly responsive. Even cranking the visual settings up to nigh-on max, with FSR 2.0 set to balanced, my VR flight from London City to Heathrow was fantastic."

I’m not bothering to cherry pick, not worth the effort, those links were like the 1st and 3rd google results for vive pro 2 7900xtx

Frankly this whole conversation is becoming more and more absurd with every nonsensical justification and whataboutism.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting me on that! I thought VP2 didn’t work with AMD at all. Does it woth with 6xxx series?

Anyway, I was just trying to provide more info. I know Aero doesn’t work for sure. Sorry it seemed to be offensive to you, I hadn’t read anything previous to the comment I replied to originally from you so I might be missing some context. I’ll leave you to it, cheers!

Post keep this thread alive as it should be in Pimax interest to at least examine the issue to maximize their compatibility for the future as Amd appears to be advancing their presence in the market of VGA adapters. I bought an 8KX recently as well and would appreciate being able to use it instead of using it as a dust collector.

I’ve sold my 7900XTX and bought a 4090.

I do have to say I am not happy about this situation, the whole exercise cost me roughly 800 EURO’s. Just to sell my 7900XTX and buy the 4090.

I have no faith in neither Pimax nor AMD to fix this.

1 Like

Would like to know your system specs as well as observations about the 7900XTX vs. 4090 in all matters relevant to your use-case. I’m teetering on a 4090, but have an AMD system.

All my games already ran at max vsync limit with the 7900XTX so im not noticing any FPS difference. but here is the difference.

However the things where the 4090 is better:

• Ray tracing games (which i dont play now, but future games will most likely contain ray tracing)
  • Energy efficiency; it uses less energy for the same fps
  • Driver stability; the AMD drivers crashed sometimes for me
  • DLSS3 support; AMD still has to release FRS frame generation
  • VR support; the Pimax simply doesnt support the 7900XTX

Where the 7900XTX is better:

• I like the adrenalin toolkit better, more features
  • The size of the card; its WAY smaller for not that much less performance
  • It’s much cheaper for an actually very capable card
  • It requires 2 PCIE connectors instead of the 3 on the 4090

If i wouldnt have upgraded from Quest 2 to Pimax, then I would not have gotten the 4090.

I feel like the 4080 is not worth looking at if your coming from the 7900XTX, due to it having less GPU memory.

Im running this all on
Ryzen 5800X3D with 32GB ram.

1 Like

Thanks.
I’ve been thinking about the MSI Suprim X with Radiator type. This takes less space on my MB and I have a mounting location in my case for the radiator.
Currently Price is still kinda bogus, as well (not that it matters all that much maybe), but I’m concerned how an nVidia GPU will work with AMD in regards to SMA (smart access memory).

Given the fact that a lot of reviewers are using AMD tech while reviewing, I think you are good to go.

FYI; the radiator ones hardly perform better than the aircooled ones. If you ask me its not worth the extra money.