Pimax 8KX (model 2075) doesn't work with 7900XTX

Thanks for that! Glad to hear it’s not as widespread as I thought.

I thought the Pico 4 is not connected to the display port of the graphics card?
Those are completely different conditions.
Didn’t Kevin also say at some point that DP2 had problems with cable lengths over 2-3 meters?

Maybe also something to test with an extender. :thinking:

Yes, it’s not connected to the GPU, the data is sent encoded over wifi or USB (in my case over wifi with Virtual Desktop), but the VR Known Issue in the drivers affect this as well.

The Pimax problem is probably also driver related ( I think 50/50, because other cable HMD are warning), but is not the known Issue of the drivers release.

Confirmed VR fix for my system was to install MSI center and no need for uninstalling/reinstalling MSI center either as VR just works now. The only issue I still have is the tracking jitter/lag but that appears to be a pimax tracking issue for 9 axis tracking as that is all I use so I can’t comment on lighthouse tracking functionality. The rapidly spinning display and poor performance is completely gone and VR performance is really very good. My system specs are as follows. MSI X670 Pro motherboard 7700X cpu 32 Gigs G Skill 6000 memory XFX 7900XT and cheapo 1 TB ssd non nvme as the system is still on the test bench. Pimax 5K super HMD. Credit for this fix goes to JonnyM from this thread Can We Get Acknowledgement of the Pimax Specific RTX 4090 Latency / Lag Issue please? - #461 by DustyBritches

1 Like

@elin77: You cited individuals having specific issues, but fact: Every single other major VR headset model with the 7900XTX works in most games, and works well (at least as well as last gen) in most games - Except Pimax. (Note: this was supposed to say "works in most, works well in many, but I wrote most both times which is less true)

Another fact: At least a few of us have even got Pimax working - by changing around pimax software versions, and disabling lighthouse tracking - Neither of those changes helping the issue seems supportive of AMD drivers being the root cause.

No number of anecdotes is an effective counterargument to facts.
Neither of us have access to the code here, but the information we can see says the root cause is on Pimax’ side - and if that’s the case (as it appears), waiting for an AMD driver fix isn’t going to help.

This is provably false.

There have been multiple reports on the Valve Index subreddit that the 7900XTX will not work at 144hz mode on it. There have been reviewers, like Babeltech who does many good VR benchmarks, that show the 7900XTX was underperforming quite a bit in a handful of titles. And I have seen some people say they cannot get the HP Reverb G2 to work on it either. Plus, AMD itself has acknowledged major VR performance issues in their official notes.

AMD absolutely has some major issues they need to sort out on their VR performance/drivers for the 7900XT(X).

Yeah AMD isn’t going to acknowledge vr issues for just pimax lol. It is not pimax specific.

The only other headsets I have tried are the Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 1 via cable link and a Vive Pro with the wireless kit. Those 3 all work fine. It is just my Pimax which isn’t working but I also don’t have an Index or G2 to test those so it is likely they also have some problems.

Right now I am just using the Vive Pro with the wireless on it.

To whoever reported my posts as “spam” and got me temporarily banned + posts removed: you’re silly. Fanboys are the bane of internet support. Don’t be one.

To support team here: I apologize for assuming the worst about that ban (having just posted criticism), and commend the quick restoration.

On topic: AMD has some driver issues and they should be held accountable for them. But Pimax should likewise be held accountable for the portion of these problems that do not stem from driver issues. If you can’t agree with that, you might need to read the first bit about fanboys.

No, I just posted examples instead of posting all the bunch of Google results for pages I got :wink:

Fact is:
Not everyone having a problem is always posting this somewhere in a forum. But probably a lot more are contacting their HMD manufacturer or AMD directly.

Fact is:
AMD acknowledged general VR issues in probably enough games and general cases. If it was Pimax only they would have said so as it was formerly the case with specific issues concerning the Index, Oculus or HP in the past. But AMD does not say: “VR problems with Pimax headsets.”

Fact is:
There might be workarounds for Pimax headsets - but there probably are some for other HMD’s as well.

Fact is:
Just because you seek to blame everything on Pimax side, AMD isn’t as strong in VR as NVIDIA. Second, even NVIDIA’s 40x0’s are having issues with a couple of different VR headsets. So, probability is high it has something to do with the new Gen GPU technologies in general.

I don’t say Pimax can’t or should do nothing.
But as far as I understand everything, it seems to be to “blame” GPU manufacturers / in this case AMD first, and Pimax or whomever after.

Last but not least;
Last generation GPU’s both from AMD and NVIDIA generally are working well with our headsets. But what changed? => The GPU :wink:

The AMD known issue is about some games performance, not about VR in general.

I know that the 7000 drivers for VR are bad, but they are functional in all of the headsets (maybe not at their maximum hz) except for the Pimax.

So also the Pimax Drivers have part of the blame of the 7000 incompatibility, like the lag problems with the Nvidia 4000.

I from my own experience can tell only, that my 8K-X generally did work with the 7900 XTX. But as mentioned only with very very low FPS, absolutely unplayable. No crashes, no detection issues.

:man_shrugging:t3:

:slight_smile:

Just wanted to say i bought a XFX Radeon RX 7900XTX MERC310 Black Edition 2 yesterday.
I have a pimax 8kx and it ran fine with my 6900xt graphics card.
But after i installed the new 7900xtx then its been impossible to use VR.

The problem is like other people descripe.
Example when i start pimax shop or titools then the AMD graphics driver crash.
Sometimes im lucky it do not crash and then i can get into pimax shop/pitool and see the headset sometimes track the vr headset. ( funny thing is i have to turn on the VR conrtollers for the base stations to want to track… its an old bug that have been there for years now )
Anyway, if i am lucky the vr headset will track and if i launch example dcs world ( flight sim ) then i can on my screen see a split screen that show VR… If i turn the vr headset i can look around on the monitor and also get into the cockpit of my f16… But if i turn the head fast the image lag behind.
Anyway i dont get any image in my VR headset its just a black screen.
In very rare cases i can get imagine in my headset but it either jump around like crazy or the screen flicker and wont show VR.

Well my impression is that its a Driver issue with AMD and not the hardware.
Im sad to say but its not good enough you buy a high end graphics card and then it does not work.
I can read other people had this issue since mid december.

I have reported it to xfx, pimax and AMD
I do not know if i have the model 2075 i just know my pimax 8kx dosent work.
I even reset my computer and install everything fresh and new but no success.

1 Like

The model is the first 4 digits of the serial number, but if yours works with a 6900XT, then it is the 2075 :wink:

The VR Drivers of the 7000 cards are really bad, but also the 6000 aren’t good compared to Nvidia (they offer more VR performance in “equivalent” cards).

I upgrade from a 6800XT to a 7900XTX, and due to the poor VR performance I returned it (the max gain was 40% in MSFS 2020, but other games 30% and others near to 0).

Now I bought a 4070Ti and the VR performance is better even than the 7900XTX (except in the MSFS 2020), so I recommend to go to Nvidia if your aim for VR.

3 Likes

Disable onboard cpu graphics via bios and see what happens.

Update 14 feb 2023.
About 30 minutes ago AMD released a new driver 23.2.1 for the 7900xtx and it had the following effect on the problem.

now i can.
1): I am now able to turn on the headset without the AMD driver crashing.
2). I am now for the first time able to turn on the headset and access the headsets settings.
3). I can now sometimes get some kind of picture… Sometimes it is show pimax vr save screen and lag/tear when i turn my head… Other times the display is black, and other times the display jump around like crazy.
Tracking of the headset work, and vr index controllers are detected both in pimax software and in steam vr.
4). I have been unable to make steam VR or other vr games like dcs world start and use VR. When i see steam vr running, then i have black screen in the vr headset but can hear the sound of birds singing.

All in all there was some progress with the driver, but VR is not working.
But the AMD team also wrote in the patch that they are aware of vr problems.

ps. my motherboard and cpu do not have onboard graphics.
I have a 5900x cpu and 570x aeros mothboard

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
Though, I dare say that AMD has know about VR problems with their products for over a year now.
I wonder if we’ll EVER see a MAJOR push by them to firm up their products to support VR to be at least on par with nVidia.

Today 22-02-2023 Amd Released a new driver 23.2.2 ( WHQL )
Amd radeon software did not autodetect this one.

I notised the following improvement.
1). I was able to enter steam vr and see the start vr appartment and look at the tv and look around. But there was so much lag/tearing that it recenter the headset view direction again and again… I could look at everything if just i turn my head very slow, but everytime i turn my head fast bad things happen.
2): I was able to start DCS world ( flight sim ) and in the main menu i could look around slow, but when i turn my head fast there was lag/tearing. BUT it felt like there was enough gpu power to handle the image perfectly but something just aint working as it should ( drivers )
I was able to get into my f16 cockpit and sit still and look i vr and also look around slowly. If i moved my head fast there was allot of lag/tearing especially if i turn my head fast. All in all totaly unplayable or usefull.
BUT at least now i can see something in my vr headset and lauch applications.

3). I had some issues with tracking. Example steam vr can see the headset and the tracing but it could not use my headset when it wanted to do room setup then i could not do it.
Also after trying steam vr and dcs games and so on vr stop working i think, and i had issues getting an image again. I tried restarting the pc a few times but without much luck.

4). when i changed the headset hz from 90 to 75 then i had the above issues with no image and so on, and driver acting wird… And then i gave up for today.

But again with this new 23.2.2 driver from amd website there was a little progress.

2 Likes

New driver for the 7900xtx 05-03-2023
version 23.3.1

I have tested it, and there is no difference since the previous driver 23.2.2. The new 23.3.1 behave the same way as 23.2.2

Pimax 8kx does not work with the 7900xtx.
Its not good enough that amd put a 7900xtx on the market in december and about 4 month later there are still serious problems. If next driver does not fix the issue i maybe gona ask amd for a 100% refund of the 7900xtx.

Unfortunately, AMD GPUs don’t do so well in general with VR compared to nVidia.
That’s of course partly AMD’s fault.
However, it’s also the fault of some headset makers not working enough to get their headsets to work well enough with AMD. Even so, there are limits to what VR headset makers can do, due to AMD limitations.

I mean, I feel like it’s been a dog’s age since we got any update from PIMAX regarding the Crystal’s compatibility with AMD, and, we still don’t have any mention of AMD GPUs on Crystal’s compatibility sheet.